PDA

View Full Version : US Rifle 1917 parts question

Old Sarge
December 29, 2014, 13:53
Hi all
I found a 1917 in a LGS. The recever still has the ears intack, Eddystone. Bolt and rear sight look good to go. The barrel and stock have been cut down so its missing all the bands and such.

I know orginal wood and a barrel would be hard to find. How about all the small parts? Bands,screws, butt plat and such? Are there any dealers that might still have some of them in stock or is it hunt it down peice by peice? If I can find some of the parts and if I can cut a deal on the rifle how hard would it be to put it back to orignal configuration (not Orignal mfg)

Thanks
Old Sarge

tdb59
December 29, 2014, 14:04
For an original barrel, stock, and metal furniture, expect to pay about $ 500.00 =/- . Add the labor costs of rebarreling.

A complete, unmolested Eddystone can be had for around $ 600.00.

Choose wisely.

TOWS220
December 29, 2014, 14:11
Criterion is making excellent quality repro barrels now, if that makes any difference in your considerations. Not sure if they are cheaper than oem.

hagar
December 29, 2014, 15:27
Numrich may have parts.

mp
December 31, 2014, 08:52
Parts are pretty easy to locate, even handguards. Unmolested USGI stocks are hard to find and expensive. The CMP offers the Criterion replacement barrels, and even a barrel swap service through their Custom Shop.

Like everyone has said, it depends how cheap you can get the donor rifle.

Old Sarge
January 01, 2015, 11:55
Parts are pretty easy to locate, even handguards. Unmolested USGI stocks are hard to find and expensive. The CMP offers the Criterion replacement barrels, and even a barrel swap service through their Custom Shop.

Like everyone has said, it depends how cheap you can get the donor rifle.

Ya I figured the stock would be tough. I have a USGI replacement barrel (JA) that I picked up in a trade years ago. That's pretty much the only reason I am considering it, that and the receiver still has the ears on it. Doesn't look like the Gun store is willing to come off the price enough to make this work out. They want $400 for what they have. As tdb59 said, by the time I get a stock and paid to have the barrel replaced. I could buy one off of GB or at a show and be money ahead.

Old Sarge

deavis
January 02, 2015, 01:51
IIRC pulling 1917 barrels is a pain!

Alpha-17
January 02, 2015, 11:08
Slightly off the subject of restoring one, but I picked up a M1917 a few weeks back, and found that mine is an absolute nail driver for a nearly 100 year old gun. With reloads, I'm getting 1.5-2" 5 shot groupings, and sub MOA 3 round groupings at 100 yards. Really makes me wonder what it could do with a scope, or somebody who's better with irons than I am. :rolleyes:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/Alpha-17/Real%20Steel/Long%20Arms/M1917Enfield.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/Alpha-17/media/Real%20Steel/Long%20Arms/M1917Enfield.jpg.html)

On Topic: a quick search on Ebay shows a decent amount of M1917 parts, including barrel bands, screws, etc. Not sure if you'd be able to find everything you'd need there, but it would be a decent place to start.