PDA

View Full Version : PTR91 G.I. New to the Platform - Newb Questions

GS455
December 28, 2014, 12:51
I recently acquired a PTR91 GI (16" barrel) from its original owner. I have his Bill of Sale indicating it was purchased last June and he must have cut out and turned in the warranty card as it has been removed from the last page of the owners manual. I learned how to field strip it per the owners manual and test fired it yesterday. I am initially very pleased with its performance, however, I have a couple questions:

1) Most manufacturers warranty the product (not the purchaser) for life or for a defined period based on serial/number + Bill Of Sale. Being only a few months old is this rifle still covered under warranty? If so, is the warranty void if a "qualified" or "authorized" gunsmith works on it?

2) According to the operating principal there is, as expected, a tremendous amount of carbon build up in and around the bolt and chamber. I have lots of milsurp semi autos and I have to admit this one seems a challenge to clean. There is no information in the manual about how to clean the chamber, chamber face and bolt group. Are there special brushes or swabs that came with the rifle? If not, are they available?

3) The rear buttstock ferrule is loose against the receiver and has the affect of pivoting up/down against each other. Almost seems as though the ferrule is too large or the pin hole/sockets are out of spec. I would like advice on how to address this either under warranty or per a qualified gunsmith.

Old Sarge
December 28, 2014, 13:32
If it were me? I would e-mail PTR and ask the same questions. They will give you a better idea on what PTR would be willing to do.

Old Sarge

GS455
December 28, 2014, 19:56
I did just that. Let's see what they say. Will post response.

LRRP7.62
December 28, 2014, 21:21
99% of warranties are for the original buyer. Once the item is sold to another person you don't have a leg to stand on.

wanneroo
December 28, 2014, 21:33
1) Most manufacturers warranty the product (not the purchaser) for life or for a defined period based on serial/number + Bill Of Sale. Being only a few months old is this rifle still covered under warranty? If so, is the warranty void if a "qualified" or "authorized" gunsmith works on it?

2) According to the operating principal there is, as expected, a tremendous amount of carbon build up in and around the bolt and chamber. I have lots of milsurp semi autos and I have to admit this one seems a challenge to clean. There is no information in the manual about how to clean the chamber, chamber face and bolt group. Are there special brushes or swabs that came with the rifle? If not, are they available?

3) The rear buttstock ferrule is loose against the receiver and has the affect of pivoting up/down against each other. Almost seems as though the ferrule is too large or the pin hole/sockets are out of spec. I would like advice on how to address this either under warranty or per a qualified gunsmith.

Probably in regards to warranty questions, I'd call or email PTR directly. They resolved an issue with my rifle quickly with no problems.

Yes the chamber is a little bit of a pain in the butt to get at. In all the shooting with my rifle I've not had a problem when it gets dirty but also I don't run skanky ammo like the Russian steel ammo through it. I've heard of some people that run thousands of rounds through it and then pressure wash it out and then WD40 the whole thing. Seems extreme to me. What I did was get the following:

http://www.elmfg.com/store/hk.html#brushes

The rod is more sturdy than your usual cleaning rod and these brushes help clean the insides of the gun better. The square brush also does a fantastic job cleaning the surplus magazines of old gunk.

Apply some solvent, MPro7 or other cleaner, let it soak, get to work with the brushes and then use some patches to mop it all up. I find some long plastic picks can come in handy as well.

The bolt carrier group mostly I hit with a spray cleaner, give a good brush to wipe clean, use a plastic pick on any remnant carbon build up, spray some Ballistol on and put back in the rifle. Disassembly of the bolt carrier group is a once or twice a year job, there are videos on youtube on how to get that done.

With the buttstock, last I looked Robert RTG had tons of buttstock parts, pieces and complete stocks for cheap. HK Parts also has plenty of stock options. I have 3 surplus stocks for my gun. You may just want to get another surplus stock for $20-$30 and see how that works rather than dealing with warranty work. HK Parts has complete assemblies ready to affix right to the rifle.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-91-G3-Stocks-End-Caps-Braces-c114.htm

GS455
December 30, 2014, 17:10
Probably in regards to warranty questions, I'd call or email PTR directly. They resolved an issue with my rifle quickly with no problems.

Yes the chamber is a little bit of a pain in the butt to get at. In all the shooting with my rifle I've not had a problem when it gets dirty but also I don't run skanky ammo like the Russian steel ammo through it. I've heard of some people that run thousands of rounds through it and then pressure wash it out and then WD40 the whole thing. Seems extreme to me. What I did was get the following:

http://www.elmfg.com/store/hk.html#brushes

The rod is more sturdy than your usual cleaning rod and these brushes help clean the insides of the gun better. The square brush also does a fantastic job cleaning the surplus magazines of old gunk.

Apply some solvent, MPro7 or other cleaner, let it soak, get to work with the brushes and then use some patches to mop it all up. I find some long plastic picks can come in handy as well.

The bolt carrier group mostly I hit with a spray cleaner, give a good brush to wipe clean, use a plastic pick on any remnant carbon build up, spray some Ballistol on and put back in the rifle. Disassembly of the bolt carrier group is a once or twice a year job, there are videos on youtube on how to get that done.

With the buttstock, last I looked Robert RTG had tons of buttstock parts, pieces and complete stocks for cheap. HK Parts also has plenty of stock options. I have 3 surplus stocks for my gun. You may just want to get another surplus stock for $20-$30 and see how that works rather than dealing with warranty work. HK Parts has complete assemblies ready to affix right to the rifle.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-91-G3-Stocks-End-Caps-Braces-c114.htm

Excellent info. Thank you (all). I will get a set of those brushes.

A fellow name Chris (Svc Mgr) called me today.

1) Told me warranty is 3 years from date of purchase and transfers to the new owner if sold. Also said he was pretty forgiving when it comes to expired warranties. Case by case, etc.

2) He said to forget everything I think I know about other conventional actions. Massive carbon build up is typical and not to worry about it. If I want I can wipe out the chamber face/trunnion area with a solvent damp rag, dry it and call it done. Can use a .45cal brush to clean the chamber/flutes and the bolt carrier should not be lubbed except a little on the roller locks and along the course they travel. No other lube needed. If I coat barrel with lubricant for long term be sure to patch it dry before firing

3) As far as the loose butt stock he said to remove it and tap the ferrule (or back plate as they call it) to narrow it a bit at a time until a more snug fit is achieved but likely it will never be absolutely motion free.

All in all I was impressed. Called me while on vacation back in Connecticut. Talked a while AND I like his politics. Too bad they had to flee Konecticutstan (and take their tax revenue with them). But the new locale is okay by him.

wanneroo
December 30, 2014, 19:52
Probably just buy another buttstock since prices are cheap and there is so much selection out there.

It probably comes down to what ammo you use but you shouldn't typically have "massive" amounts of carbon in the chamber area. That's probably more an issue with the Russian steel stuff with lacquer or polymer coated steel casings and dirty powder. I haven't cleaned mine for almost a year and have no problems.

GS455
December 30, 2014, 22:25
Probably just buy another buttstock since prices are cheap and there is so much selection out there.

It probably comes down to what ammo you use but you shouldn't typically have "massive" amounts of carbon in the chamber area. That's probably more an issue with the Russian steel stuff with lacquer or polymer coated steel casings and dirty powder. I haven't cleaned mine for almost a year and have no problems.

I'm gonna take a shot at form fitting the current ferrule. The guy I bought the rifle from put nice milsurp wood hand guards and buttstock on so I don't want to replace. Maybe just teh backplate if that's what it comes down to but all metal matches right now soooo.

I was shooting 80s Lake City NATO. Bout a 150 rds. Massive build up may be an overstatement but compared to all my other .308 semi's I've never seen so much carbon coated all over a receiver. I just can't imagine shooting as many rounds every few weeks and NOT cleaning as others purport and not ending up wi brutal baked/caked on carbon impossible to clean. So I guess I just need to "get over it"

For the record I shoot lot's of coated combloc ammo in my "Eastern" weapons. Non issue. Stories about coating melting in the chambers are pure myth and I can prove it. Doesn't happen. I will NO LONGER shoot Aguila anything out of any of my firearms. Bought a bunch of it when it was the cheapest .30Carbine out there and my M1Carbs were twice as sooty for half as much ammo fired. Awful.

wanneroo
December 31, 2014, 12:21
I was shooting 80s Lake City NATO. Bout a 150 rds. Massive build up may be an overstatement but compared to all my other .308 semi's I've never seen so much carbon coated all over a receiver. I just can't imagine shooting as many rounds every few weeks and NOT cleaning as others purport and not ending up wi brutal baked/caked on carbon impossible to clean. So I guess I just need to "get over it"

For the record I shoot lot's of coated combloc ammo in my "Eastern" weapons. Non issue. Stories about coating melting in the chambers are pure myth and I can prove it. Doesn't happen. I will NO LONGER shoot Aguila anything out of any of my firearms. Bought a bunch of it when it was the cheapest .30Carbine out there and my M1Carbs were twice as sooty for half as much ammo fired. Awful.

What I have found is that no matter how much you clean the insides you will still find dirt. I think it's the action and the flutes blowing junk everywhere inside the gun. But these guns over decades have a history of working well and working when dirty so I wouldn't worry too much.

With the way this action works and the casing being torched by the gas in the flutes, there is no way all that lacquer or polymer junk sprayed on the russian steel ammo is not going to end up vaporizing and ending up in the gun. When I shot russian ammo in the past it looked like someone sprayed coal dust tar in my gun.

I just bought a steel port buffer for my gun so I need to install that so I can find my brass easier.

GS455
December 31, 2014, 15:21
I just bought a steel port buffer for my gun so I need to install that so I can find my brass easier.

Well I'll agree with ya there. I find my brass in about a 5' radius 25-30' away. Good grief.

Where do you get a steel port buffer for these? What is it? Link?

thanksGS

djfin
December 31, 2014, 17:34
You can find the Clip on port buffers on Gun Broker or at RTG parts. They are out of stock now but sign up for email notice. He gets them often. Or you can buy the weld on one at RTG. It works great but you would need to refinish the rifle.

wanneroo
December 31, 2014, 18:57
Well I'll agree with ya there. I find my brass in about a 5' radius 25-30' away. Good grief.

thanksGS

I got a used German Army surplus one from Robert RTG for $55 this summer. I was on the email list for a year and one day got an email saying he had 8 of them in stock, so I jumped on it right away. I also saw them around the same time on gunbroker for a similar price.

There are the polymer ones out there but never heard anything good about them.

GS455
January 01, 2015, 10:11
Like these?

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-PORT-BUFFER-30p2951.htm

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/POF-HK91-PORT-BUFFER-NEW-30p2172.htm

Which one? How do they mount? The "new" one's description says it snaps on. How bout the German milsurp version? I don't want to weld.

Gopher
January 01, 2015, 14:33
On the German mil surps, it's not just a matter or welding, the receiver has to be cut in a certain manner for the deflector to be fitted properly. I had one installed on my 1976 91 and the gun refinished. It works very well and doesn't dent the brass. I'm not sure, but I believe Weaponeers forum had an instructional thread on this.

wanneroo
January 01, 2015, 15:55
I have the German H&K one, hopefully it fits with no modification to anything.

GS455
January 01, 2015, 17:31
Like these?

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-PORT-BUFFER-30p2951.htm

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/POF-HK91-PORT-BUFFER-NEW-30p2172.htm

Which one? How do they mount? The "new" one's description says it snaps on. How bout the German milsurp version? I don't want to weld.

I posed the question to the Robert TRG website.

djfin
January 02, 2015, 11:31
On the German mil surps, it's not just a matter or welding, the receiver has to be cut in a certain manner for the deflector to be fitted properly. I had one installed on my 1976 91 and the gun refinished. It works very well and doesn't dent the brass. I'm not sure, but I believe Weaponeers forum had an instructional thread on this.

I am confused by your post. I just welded one on the week before Christmas without doing any receiver cutting. It is mounted the same as the pictures on the RTG site. Can you please explain what you had to cut.

BIG50
January 02, 2015, 22:03

thanksGS

I have a bunch of the Factory HK port buffers for sale pm me for pictures.

BIG50

GS455
January 03, 2015, 00:04
I have a bunch of the Factory HK port buffers for sale pm me for pictures.

BIG50

Sent PM