PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem...

rowjimmy
December 25, 2014, 19:50
I've been shooting my G17 competitively for a number of years and decided to switch over to the 1911 for this coming season.

This thing is a heavy-assed hunk of metal with a weird grip angle and reduced magazine capacity. WTF??!!?!?

But I really like it. :devil:

ByronF
December 25, 2014, 20:44
It's like being a circus performer accustomed to contorting your joints to wierd angles. Now that you are walking erect with the rest of us it feels different for a while. A 1911 is a great piece, but really so is the Glock. If it fits go with it. The 1911 has a romantic appeal in addition to its functional awesomeness.

Invictus77
December 25, 2014, 20:51
The 1911 has a romantic appeal in addition to its functional awesomeness.

Well YEAH .....

Remember this thread http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377998

rowjimmy
December 25, 2014, 21:13
It's like being a circus performer accustomed to contorting your joints to wierd angles. Now that you are walking erect with the rest of us it feels different for a while. A 1911 is a great piece, but really so is the Glock. If it fits go with it. The 1911 has a romantic appeal in addition to its functional awesomeness.

I find the Glock has a natural "point" in that you position your wrist at the same angle as if you were actually pointing at something with your finger. With the 1911 it is more like you're pointing your arm (forearm) at the target. I'm getting quite used to both and transitioning between them. It took some dry fire practice to get used to mag changes as I need to slightly reposition the 1911 in my hand to hit the mag release. I still need to reach over the top to release the slide instead of releasing the slide stop, but it is what it is.

tac-40
December 25, 2014, 23:40
Also, make sure your thumb rides on top of the safety. After years of shooting my G21, I went back to the 1911. Had several stoppages until I figured out my thum was under the safety where the G21 has a little indentation. The recoil was causing my thumb to push up the safety.:homerdoh:

L Haney
December 25, 2014, 23:44
I've been playing with a SIG 1911/22. Got a little bitty can screwed on the end. As it don't really make any noise, you can shoot this thing almost anywhere.

It's 1911 goodness out the ass.

Somebody stop me.

c0wb0y84
December 25, 2014, 23:49
I still need to reach over the top to release the slide instead of releasing the slide stop, but it is what it is.

??? I'm confused. Are you left handed or just don't like releasing the slide with the slide stop/release?

gates
December 26, 2014, 02:02
umm... - G21 or a Sig 220 and get good at speed reloading:-)

That said - of course you like it, all real men like the 1911, I have 5 of them but they are not the optimal package for comp. Interestingly Joe's Deputies here in Maricopa carry them with Chip M. 10 rounders, I carry a G23:-) I compete - rarely - with a 9mm XD Tac.

rowjimmy
December 26, 2014, 07:13
Also, make sure your thumb rides on top of the safety. After years of shooting my G21, I went back to the 1911. Had several stoppages until I figured out my thum was under the safety where the G21 has a little indentation. The recoil was causing my thumb to push up the safety.:homerdoh:

I'm good with that as it seems natural to me, I just can't shoot a Hi Power without my thumb activating the slide stop and turning into a single shot for me. I used to have an FEG Hi Power clone in .45 and never had a problem, but when Brunop let me shoot his Browning at Stimpy's match last year, I could not get more than 2 rounds off before locking the slide back. I don't have that problem with the Glock or 1911.

rowjimmy
December 26, 2014, 07:14
I've been playing with a SIG 1911/22. Got a little bitty can screwed on the end. As it don't really make any noise, you can shoot this thing almost anywhere.

It's 1911 goodness out the ass.

Somebody stop me.

The sad thing is, you can almost effectively reload .45 acp for what people want for .22 these days...

rowjimmy
December 26, 2014, 07:21
??? I'm confused. Are you left handed or just don't like releasing the slide with the slide stop/release?

It is not a matter of like but rather ability. My right thumb does not effectively reach the slide STOP to depress it and release the slide when it is positioned to either drop the magazine or fire a shot. Honestly, I would think that is true of a lot of guys. My hands are average or maybe a little smaller.

I could try an extended slide stop, but I'm not sure that would help. They actually teach you in gun fighting to reach over the top and pull back the slide back after a reload anyway as your fine motor control will have likely gone to shit. I'm just looking at speed for competition. I can hot the slide stop easily with my thumb on my g17.

rowjimmy
December 26, 2014, 07:28
umm... - G21 or a Sig 220 and get good at speed reloading:-)

That said - of course you like it, all real men like the 1911, I have 5 of them but they are not the optimal package for comp. Interestingly Joe's Deputies here in Maricopa carry them with Chip M. 10 rounders, I carry a G23:-) I compete - rarely - with a 9mm XD Tac.

I still carry a G17 with 18 rounds 147 gr Federal HST for self defense. When I shoot USPSA production, I'll still shoot a 17. I'm using the 1911 to compete in IDPA CDP division. You can shoot a plastic .45 in those divisions and download mags to 8, but to me, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I would consider shooting single stack in USPSA, but I'm not ready to make that jump just yet.

In a gunfight with a pistol, and given the modern terminal ballistics of both the 9 mm and .45, give me the higher magazine capacity with quicker recoil recovery any day. But, it's hard to beat the trigger on the 1911.

c0wb0y84
December 26, 2014, 08:29
It is not a matter of like but rather ability. My right thumb does not effectively reach the slide STOP to depress it and release the slide when it is positioned to either drop the magazine or fire a shot. Honestly, I would think that is true of a lot of guys. My hands are average or maybe a little smaller.

I could try an extended slide stop, but I'm not sure that would help. They actually teach you in gun fighting to reach over the top and pull back the slide back after a reload anyway as your fine motor control will have likely gone to shit. I'm just looking at speed for competition. I can hot the slide stop easily with my thumb on my g17.

Another option that may be faster is to hit the release with your left hand thumb as you re-acquire your grip. I've seen this used pretty effectively and it seems that it would be faster than racking the slide back. It seems if you have enough fine motor control to hit the mag release then you'd have as much control hitting the slide stop especially if trained that way.

L Haney
December 26, 2014, 10:46
The sad thing is, you can almost effectively reload .45 acp for what people want for .22 these days...

Actually, I can reload (and do) .45 for less then what I'm paying for the once again (YEA!) available CCI Green Tag 1050 fps twenty two ammo.

But due to the noise of the .45, I'm limited to where and when. With this ergonomically identical SIG, I'm getting back to my 'point' shooting. You don't look at the sights, you look where you want the hole to be.

You think that hole. You believe in that hole being where you want it. Exactly where you want it.

We all have a ballistic computer in our hind brain. It's what we use to throw balls or rocks or pine cones.

The hard part is getting the 'thinking' part of the brain to shut the hell up while that primitive part handles the problem.

kotengu
December 26, 2014, 12:20
I've been shooting my G17 competitively for a number of years and decided to switch over to the 1911 for this coming season.

This thing is a heavy-assed hunk of metal with a weird grip angle and reduced magazine capacity. WTF??!!?!?

But I really like it. :devil:

Have you disassembled that overly complex heavy hunk of steel for cleaning yet? That part really made me appreciate the simplicity of the Glock ;-)

Or did you forget that you have to actually CLEAN some firearms?

L Haney
December 26, 2014, 12:28

Another example of overthinking. Shove it in a bucket of diesel. Touch off two rounds. Wipe dry.

If you got a Ma Duce got a little too gold in the action, pop the feed cover, upend a gallon of Singer sewing machine oil into the guts. Load a belt. Duck below the hatch and trigger off 10 rounds. She'll be happy. You'll only be a little wet.

rowjimmy
December 26, 2014, 12:32
Have you disassembled that overly complex heavy hunk of steel for cleaning yet? That part really made me appreciate the simplicity of the Glock ;-)

Yeah, I actually had some feeding issues due to a dirty chamber. This thing is tight, which surprised me for a custom tactical pistol. It could have been the crimp on my reloads as well because I had some small primer pocket brass get through which affected the downstroke and I forgot to recrimp the affected rounds who were in that stage of the press.

It is different shooting lead than jacketed through the Glock, but I don't think the disassembly or cleaning is too onerous. Of course, I'm not going to be shooting 1 or 2 k before cleaning like with the Glock, so frequency will be higher.

rowjimmy
December 26, 2014, 12:34
Another example of overthinking. Shove it in a bucket of diesel. Touch off two rounds. Wipe dry.

Good suggestion, I'm gonna have to use some kerosene as I've no diesel on hand, and I'm not siphoning out of the heating oil tank...

L Haney
December 26, 2014, 12:38
Good suggestion, I'm gonna have to use some kerosene as I've no diesel on hand, and I'm not siphoning out of the heating oil tank...

Cut the kerosene 5% with Mobil One.

Roger Brown
December 26, 2014, 14:49
What viscosity?

L Haney
December 26, 2014, 15:03
Thinner is better.

tdb59
December 26, 2014, 15:19
You think that hole. You believe in that hole being where you want it. Exactly where you want it.

We all have a ballistic computer in our hind brain. It's what we use to throw balls or rocks or pine cones.

The hard part is getting the 'thinking' part of the brain to shut the hell up while that primitive part handles the problem.

Presactly !

kotengu
December 26, 2014, 16:10
Another example of overthinking.

Hey now - overthinking is what I do best!