PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own the NAA 22 mag black powder revolver?

rmsbill
December 22, 2014, 13:06
I recently bought one (my stainless Ruger Old Army wanted a baby brother).
I am looking for input as to what you use for a powder charge.
An internet search resulted in varied opinions. For example, use nothing
other than what is recommended in the NAA manual. Others use Hodgdon 777.
Some use Bullseye smokeless. I found the original Freedom Arms manual
and it said Bullseye was an acceptable substitute for black powder in the 22 LR version that they sold. I would like to be able to use Bullseye, SAFELY.
Can anyone advise me?
Thanks, Bill

Timber Wolf
December 22, 2014, 18:19
Don't know but am curious myself. I have the cartridge .22 mag version and like it for what it is. Hmm, so now I have to buy the black powder one to go with my Old Army?:uhoh:

jdmcomp
December 24, 2014, 16:23
Bill, BP is BP and never should anything that is not be used. There are many BP substitutes that are really BP but very clean versions. They may be used as they are BP. Bullseye is not. I would not use any smokeless powder in this gun whatever. Count your fingers now. If less then 5 on each hand you may have proven me right.

rmsbill
December 26, 2014, 01:35
jdmcomp,
Thanks for the reply. I Haven't loaded or fired this pistol yet, therefore
all my fingers are still attached. I went back over the threads on the
various forums I researched before posting this topic on the FAL Files.
Most of the people that commented recommended not to use Bullseye.
I have decided that the extra performance claims by some are not
worth the risk. I will try Triple 777.
Thanks again for the advice.
Bill

Wecsogery
December 26, 2014, 12:47
I have a NAA Super Companion. I have tried Bullseye and got inconsistent ignition with the caps I was using. Some people report it works well, but only with Remington No. 10 caps (which I don't have).
I've had much better results with Red Dot.
http://youtu.be/-GWjBWWGPu4

rmsbill
December 26, 2014, 14:57
Wecsogery,
In my Ruger I have been using Goex FFF. I know that it can not be overloaded
with that propellant. As long as the ball can be seated below the top of the
cylinder its good to go. I like that level of comfort.
Have you ever loaded your Companion with Triple 7? If so, how would you rate its performance compared to Red Dot?
I viewed that video while researching this topic before I posted here.
It seemed pretty straight forward. One scoop of Red Dot, seat bullet
and your good to go. His explanation of the chamber design made for a compelling argument that the revolver was designed to be used with smokeless.
Are you the man who made that video?
Bill

Wecsogery
December 27, 2014, 00:49
Wecsogery,
In my Ruger I have been using Goex FFF. I know that it can not be overloaded
with that propellant. As long as the ball can be seated below the top of the
cylinder its good to go. I like that level of comfort.
Have you ever loaded your Companion with Triple 7? If so, how would you rate its performance compared to Red Dot?
I viewed that video while researching this topic before I posted here.
It seemed pretty straight forward. One scoop of Red Dot, seat bullet
and your good to go. His explanation of the chamber design made for a compelling argument that the revolver was designed to be used with smokeless.
Are you the man who made that video?
Bill

Yes, that was me. I have a pdf copy of the original Freedom Arms manual listing proper powder charge for their standard (non-magnum) cap and ball revolver as "2 grains FFFFH black powder, 1.6 grains Pyrodex, or 1 grain Hercules Bullseye."
I haven't tried Triple 7. I have read in several places that it deteriorates quickly once opened, and that doesn't sound like something I want to buy.

BTW, although I use smokeless in my Super Companion, I do not recommend that anyone else do so. Own risk, and all that.

GOVT1911
December 27, 2014, 07:13
A while back my NAA .22 BP revolver disappeared. I suspect it left with my ex wife's boyfriend, but no proof. Dumbass left the loading tool, bullets, case, etc. If anyone wants this stuff, it's yours just PM me your address

Wildcat
December 28, 2014, 03:09
A while back my NAA .22 BP revolver disappeared. I suspect it left with my ex wife's boyfriend, but no proof. Dumbass left the loading tool, bullets, case, etc. If anyone wants this stuff, it's yours just PM me your address

Wonder if the gun could have become cartridge capable by buying a 22WRM or 22LR cylinder.

GOVT1911
December 28, 2014, 08:07
I don't believe so, the hammer on the BP looks different than the .22 ones I've seen.

rmsbill
December 28, 2014, 12:54
North American Arms will not sell the cartridge cylinder separately.
If you need one, the gun must be returned to the factory for them
to fit it.

Wildcat
December 28, 2014, 16:52
Numrich claims to have cylinders of both cartridge types. They also also offer hammers if that is needed to do a conversion.