PDA

View Full Version : Savage M10 Precision Carbine

Whydah
December 20, 2014, 07:48
I spent time with this new rifle yesterday off the bench. I'm not real satisfied with the accuracy I'm getting and I suspect its due to the scope I chose to put on it. Its a Bushnell 3 to 10X "Tactical" mil/mil. The mil-dot measurement is only accurate at 10X, and one 'click' on a turret is only suppose to move POI .10". Every time I change the magnification I have to also re-focus the lens. I went cheap and am not satisfied with this optic.

Anyway, reports are that these rifles like heavier bullets. I bought a box of 165gr soft-points to try. I had been shooting 150gr at the first session just to get it on paper. At 111 meters, the 165s opened up to a 3" group and the POI moved 2" to the left. That wasn't what I had thought would happen. I figured the POI would shift a bit, but I had anticipated that the groups would have been much smaller. I was firing three-shot strings and then running over on the four-wheeler checking the groups each time. I can't say I was happy with the results.

It was getting late and the setting sun was shinning almost directly into the scope, so I called it . I had two 150 rounds and decided to fire both of them before packing up. The POI was 2.5" high and the holes were touching! Could have just been a fluke, but I didn't have any other 150gr to try. Hopefully this rifle just likes the 150s. Now I'm itching to go back with a couple of boxes of 150s to see what those results will be.

I do like the rifle. The trigger breaks like glass at about 1.5lbs.

Whydah
December 20, 2014, 11:32
What brand of ammo were you shooting? My Savage 10FCPK prefers 168gr Match ammo. It likes Remington SMKBTHP, it really likes the Federal GMM SMKBTHP, and it Loves the Hornady A-Max.

The 150gr is Federal soft points. I don't have any idea about the bullet itself.

The 165gr. is Fusion BTSP. Most grouping with this ammo was in the 3" range.

I went through about 50 rds of the Federals previously when sighting in the rifle. I didn't have the most stable rest at the time, but once sighted in groups were in the 1.25" to 1" range. Distance was as stated previously.

Tuhlmann
December 20, 2014, 11:40
Some rounds down the barrel helped mine settle in. Use some quality ammo too. Unless you have an odd exception, that rifle's only limitations will be the ammo you choose and your own abilities.

Oh, and put some good glass on, too. You will never shoot well if you are always in doubt.

Whydah
December 20, 2014, 14:25
Damn nice groups! Nice place to shoot as well by the looks of it.

I'm lucky in that I can shoot here at the house. I can probably stretch things out to 400yds, but would have to shoot either uphill or down and keep that in mind.

I do like the rifle a lot. But I should have gone for some better glass. I'm not liking this Bushnell. Most of my other scopes are Leupold and I've been happy with them.

Thanks for the feedback you two.

superjc
December 20, 2014, 21:53
I've been thinking about one of these, and am doing research.

What are the main differences between the Accustock and the regular synthetic stock that comes on the 10FP-SR? Google fu not working on this particular detail.

Whydah
December 21, 2014, 06:46
I'm retired fire service. I got a discount from Glock. Maybe Vortex will do the same. :)

rcnpthfndr
December 22, 2014, 06:33
some things stand out, but savages are usually tack drivers out of the box even with the crappy stocks.

i would double check and re torque your scope ring base and ring caps.

with the new accustock there should be a torque setting for the action screws since it is squeezed into a bedding block of sorts. call savage and find out then check the torque.

match ammunition for accurate results. try some 168gr, 175gr match doesn't matter who makes it. if it really does like the 150's try running some 155gr Scenars. if you reload try the Amax's. your groups opening up shouldn't surprise ya with such a weight jump and change of bullet design

you don't mention the model of the scope but from your description it sounds like its a FFP. that should only matter if you are ranging something. do a box or ladder test with your scope and see if its tracking a true .10mrad. one thing that stands out is you mention focusing. are you focusing or eliminating parallax? if you don't adjust the parallax correctly you won't squeeze that extra amount of accuracy.

just my .02

Whydah
December 22, 2014, 09:07
The scope is a Bushnell Elite 3X-10X mil/mil. I ordered it from Midway. Midway only has the 10X listed currently, not the variable. Rings are Burris Zee 1" rings on a Millet one-piece base. Each time I change the magnification I have to also re-focus the scope by rotating the ring on the ocular piece. I securely tightened all screws and used a mild thread locker to ensure they stayed secure.

I haven't checked the torque regarding the stock. Good tip. I'll check.

I'll see if I can round up some 168gr ammo and give it a go.

Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

fastback65
December 22, 2014, 16:12
I have a model 10 PC and the R5 barrel. The rifeling is 1 in 11.25". Mine prefers the lighter bullets. I use the heavier bullets subsonic with the can but without the can, it loves nosler 150s. I went with the Nightforce NSX 5x20x56 and Nightforce rings.

hueyville
December 24, 2014, 02:43
I did my standard barrel break in first. Fire 1 round let cool, 1 pass with patch to pick up any burrs bullet dislodged from machining process. Fire 2 rounds, let cool then two passes with clean patches. Three rounds, let cool, pass with phospore bronze brush, two patches then repeat the three rounds and clean routine. By now reasonably sure all rough and sharp edges have been lapped a bit and any bits of metal removed without having any drug down bore by following bullet and scoring bore.

Next I fire three fouling shots followed by three, three shot groups. Clean bore, three fouling shots and three groups next bullet weight. Clean bore, three fouling shots and then three groups next bullet weight. Let cool to reasonable temp between each group, I use non contact thermometer to measure chamber and muzzle temps to be sure each group shot at similar temps.

This usually makes a trip for me, return to range with three loads in weight range of whichever worked best first trip and shoot three groups of each load using the fouling shots before each load and light clean between each load change. I do all at same distance without any scope changes except for getting on paper with initial rounds first trip. After second trip you should have something the rifle likes.

I have same and 147 to 150 grain bullets shot well in factory loadings. I have a "go to" load if need but still need to test with handloads using variety of powder and bullet combinations. With nice rifle, and have found all my late model Savage's to be accurate, quality of glass is important. My rule is glass needs to cost in tbe 60% to 110% range of rifle. A nice rifle with cheap glass is hard to derermine if any abberations in rifle or glass. When mount scope always lap rings and torque screws with torque wrench. If scope sitting a little odd in rings or one screw not tightened consistent with others scopes can do funny things. Soon as find acceptable load do some box tests of scope to determine its repeatability. If after break in, basic load testing and successfull box test, you can save ammo by ladder testing further loads till rifle is tweaked. By time find that perfect load, rifle is ready and its time to buy another so you get to tweak it. Between initial break in, bullet and load selection I sometimes have months to a year in finding the perfect load. When I do, I run as many rounds possible out of lot of powder and bullets it liked, mark boxes with serial number of rifle they go with and call it done.

Whydah
December 24, 2014, 09:09
Do any of you shoot 7.62 NATO rounds in your rifle?

Whydah
December 24, 2014, 10:16
You mean like these?
http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/20-rds-762x51-federal-gold-medal-match-175gr-bthp-sierra-matchking-ammo
I have not, but I don't think it would be an issue with the heavy barrel on a bolt gun.

If you are refering to MILSURP, I have stayed away from shooting anything like that in my Savage.

Yes, milsurp. I've got a bunch of SA laying around.

Whydah
December 24, 2014, 12:49
Thanks, pal. Makes sense. I have fired a few NATO rounds already. Accuracy sucked! No problem in the Savage, however. It was that, in a pinch, using whats available, including milsurp, is a plus.

Fn/form
December 28, 2014, 14:26
Whydah, what's your end goal?

Do you want to simply a plug 'n play load for bench shooting and hunting? Or are you looking to wring ultimate accuracy from your rifle?

rcnpthfndr
December 28, 2014, 23:13
Do any of you shoot 7.62 NATO rounds in your rifle?

yes I run M118LR through all my .308 rifles