PDA

View Full Version : I wish I didn't like guns so much

Mark IV
December 07, 2014, 22:11
Just picked up an HK USP 9 off of fellow FAL Filer.

Then I went to the gunshow yesterday and saw an absolutely beautiful S&W Model 28-2, perfect bluing, not even the ring around the cylinder. P&R, but no TT, TH, RR or WH, in a mismatched early light blue S&W Model 19 box, $579. Got his card, but I've been obsessing over that thing since I left his table without it in my hand.

I need therapy.

Retired Bum
December 08, 2014, 00:15
I have owned three Model 28-2's over the years and none of them came from the factory with Red Ramp front sights, White Outline rear sight blades, target hammers or triggers. Most were shipped with the standard Magna Service grips, not the oversize target grips.

With out seeing the box you mentioned a 28-2 would be a very tight fit in a box for a K frame Model 19. Close to $600 for that 28-2 sounds about right in today's market for minty Highway Patrolman models. Are you thinking of trading the USP9 on the 28-2? If so you might consider that there will never be another P&R 28-2 produced. OTOH USP9's will continue to be made for the foreseeable future. If you really want that Highway Patrolman then get it before someone else beats you to it. You can always pick up another USP9 later on.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Mark IV
December 08, 2014, 11:16
Actually, I'm considering stealing money out of my wife's purse to buy the Smith ... and keeping the USP 9.

One can never have too many guns.

W.E.G.
December 08, 2014, 12:25
Remember, it is completely OK to "love 'em and leave 'em.

Get your enjoyment out of it, and send it on its skippy way.

After you've owned 100+ guns the heartstrings part of it gets drowned out.

homelandprotector
December 08, 2014, 13:03
Sounds like my gun show obsession with Luxemburg FN49's ;) In pristine condition......scrambled all day to round up the cash.

homelandprotector
December 08, 2014, 13:38
My current obsession...... http://www.coltautos.com/1903hci_30064.htm

:nopity::nopity::cry:

Abominog
December 08, 2014, 15:47
Do you have a S&W 41? That is a must have.

Lugers are nice too. Everybody should have one.

Retired Bum
December 08, 2014, 17:36
Grail guns....

I own just about all of the holy grail handguns I ever wanted starting with a S&W Model 39 purchased back in 1969. I have picked up such goodies as a NIB Mauser Parabellum 9mm with the six inch barrel. A NIB factory nickel plated HK P7M8. A 1996 made Sig P201-6. A almost cherry S&W Model 58 .41 Mag M&P. A S&W Model 547 three inch round butt 9mm. And on and on.

I have run out of holy grail handguns to buy anymore. Either I own it or have owned it. Kind of saddens me I admit. But then life goes on.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Bug Tussell
December 08, 2014, 19:03
I have gotten to the point where the old saying gets bastardized: "So many guns, so what..."

I'm jaded.

Bawana jim
December 08, 2014, 19:43
Gosh, is there a limit on how many you can own?:uhoh: Every time I find the holy grail I start the next search for the new one. I would love to find a 3844 Smith for a good price but out here I never see them. Can't say I have all that I want in guns, there are just too many good ones out there. Sometimes the hunt is just as good as the buying.

FUUN063
December 08, 2014, 19:58
Hmmmm, I had a NIB Highway Patrolman from way back when you could not even get $250.00 for the things. I just kept it in the safe and sold it earlier this year. I got $650.00 from a local gunshop dealer for it and turned that money into another gun........................or was it turned into old motorcycles? I cannot remember which.

As far as the Colt 1903, I still have a very high condition one from way back when I was "into" Colt's Patent guns. Seems I only have 4 or 5 Colt's left.

Addicting.......................

Leland

johndoe
December 14, 2014, 17:42
Yesterday I picked up a S&W 64-3 with a four inch barrel.I bought it off a retired deputy that carried it in Lincoln county New Mexico.

D P Six
December 16, 2014, 00:44
As I move through my senior years I am less struck by the obsessive 'must buy this gun no matter what' then when I was younger. But I still have moments of weakness. A while back I came upon a first year Highway Patrolman (pre-28), matching, 95% ... I had to have it. I had to have it so bad that I never even took it out back to shoot it. Sold it off a year later to buy a Colt AR15-A4 which I really wanted and shoot all the time. I am becoming a sensible old fart.

Roland
January 03, 2015, 21:20
As I move through my senior years I am less struck by the obsessive 'must buy this gun no matter what' then when I was younger. But I still have moments of weakness. A while back I came upon a first year Highway Patrolman (pre-28), matching, 95% ... I had to have it. I had to have it so bad that I never even took it out back to shoot it. Sold it off a year later to buy a Colt AR15-A4 which I really wanted and shoot all the time. I am becoming a sensible old fart.******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1"><param value="*********************************************"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="*********************************************" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
hehe I know the feeling. Trust me, you're not alone in this ;)