PDA

View Full Version : Samsung 60" H7150 3D HDTV

Bug Tussell
December 07, 2014, 17:21
I just got this TV a couple days ago so I’m still checking it out. I ordered it off Amazon during the Black Friday sales. It was $600 off the regular price of $1,899. So I got it for $1,299 shipped which included home delivery and a powerup setup. Now, the TV is back up to $1,899. I know, electronics devalue quickly and what is $1,299 today will be $899 in a year or two in the consumer electronics world. The 55” Sony Bravia this TV is replacing was $1,600 five years ago when I got it. Now an equivalent to that TV can be had for around $500 or less. So you can play the electronics waiting game or just acknowledge the fact that what you buy today will be much less expensive in a couple years or so. I went with the 60” because it seemed that the new thinner screen LCDs will fit in the space my 55” sat in previously within the entertainment center. It fits but just barely so I got to eek out another inch without the little lady finding out.

Speaking of the little lady I kind of sprung this on her so the wife acceptance factor is very low right now but I suspect it will grow on her. But for now I get things like, “Well, is this a want or a need?” and I say, “Good point honey, it was a want but you need to shut up about it…”. I thought it was hilarious repartee but for some reason I wound up fixing my own dinner that night. I don’t think women have very good senses of humor.

The Obvious Good – The TV turns on in under 1.5 seconds. My old TV took longer than that to let me know that turn on instructions had been received and that it was turning on. Excellent picture quality. I only have an antenna, Blu-ray player and wi-fi with Netflix. I might be lacking some of the current shows but I don’t like shelling out $100 a month or more for cable or satellite. The picture is very noticeably more detailed then the Sony it replaced.
Sound quality with the built in speakers is very good but I see where a good soundbar would be nice to have. My wife and BIL can’t hear shit so I have come home before to find my TV on and the sound level so high that the tweeters have developed a permanent buzz that they are totally oblivious to. So a soundbar is in my future to alleviate this problem.
Remotes are fairly cheap on ebay so I can get some spares for it. It seems that my couch exists on a diet of popcorn, quarters, and remote controls.
Lots more adjustments available on the picture.
Lots of functions available that I am only now reading about and have yet to put into practice.
Projected cost to use this TV 5 hours a day for a year about $11. Quite a bit more energy efficient then the Sony.

The Bad – Kind of related to the last statement above. Time was, and not too long ago at that, when a TV was basically turn on, turn the dial up or down for volume and turn the dial for channel selection. May have had a contrast adjustment and maybe a brighter control but that was about it except for getting sent out to turn the antenna pole while the old man yelled turning instructions out the window.
Times have changed. Now there are voice commands, gesture commands, automatic firmware and software updates and so on. The manual is over 200 pages!
I don’t have anything bad about this TV except the many complexity layers surrounding this TV so that leads me to the next comments:

The Ugly (Paranoia): After doing the setup and getting it Wi-Fi enabled the TV asked me if it could now do updates. I said no because my internet is kind of slow and there was no telling how long the updates would take. The TV said that it would just do updates when I turned the TV off. Kind of convenient but kind of eery also.
Then there is the Smart TV thing. It looks like the TV has converted our two laptops into satellites for itself. Using the source selection on the TV shows two laptops available as source material. Kinda cool for digital movies I guess. But this morning I noticed that the camera light on my laptop came on and I noticed that my laptop was looking at me. Not sure why but I’m putting a piece of tape over the camera lens from now on.
Supposedly this TV will take voice commands as well so that means that there is a microphone built in. Between the cameras coming on and microphones I wonder what the eavesdropping capabilities for this TV is. Did I just invite a Trojan horse into the household? Kinda makes a guy wonder what capabilities these things have for spying.
During the setup there is a place where I can name the TV. I just left it as Samsung but now after thinking about it I may go back and rename it HAL 9000. Something to think about.

All in all two thumbs up for the TY right now. Don't know about having a spy in the living room though. Seems to me that that would be an easier hack then going through a lapton.

SAFN49
December 07, 2014, 19:33
How is the 3D working? Do the 3D movies look good?

G3isMe
December 07, 2014, 19:51
Several years ago we bought a 67" Samsung DLP. This thing has an awesome picture, especially when tuned to an HD channel. Once you go to a big screen a 50" looks small. At the time my little lady said it was too big, now my she is looking at the 70" screens. I have a feeling your wife will soon want a bigger one. ...:facepalm:....:biggrin: .....

Bug Tussell
December 07, 2014, 23:00
How is the 3D working? Do the 3D movies look good?

Once I got my eyes used to it the 3D on Polar Express was kind of cool. I'm waiting for Gravity 3D to come in so I can check it out a little more closely. I understand that the movie Bubbles from the 60s represents one of the best 3D movies made. So I need to get that.

Will learn more as I experiment with different movies.

Bug Tussell
December 07, 2014, 23:03
Several years ago we bought a 67" Samsung DLP. This thing has an awesome picture, especially when tuned to an HD channel. Once you go to a big screen a 50" looks small. At the time my little lady said it was too big, now my she is looking at the 70" screens. I have a feeling your wife will soon want a bigger one. ...:facepalm:....:biggrin: .....

I'm digging the screen size on this one. The clarity and detail are excellent. I suppose the new UHDTV will surpass this one but that;s the way it is in the electronics game.

hardass
December 08, 2014, 08:04
Nice tv but you are correct. Your tv is spying on you. Listening and watching. I was reading a good article just last week on this very question. I'll try to find it and post it .
If you have any real concerns, you should disconnect it from the internet at a minimum to start.

W.E.G.
December 08, 2014, 09:56
Your TV will now surreptitiously record:

frequency
schedule
volume
duration
timbre
pitch

Of all your flatulence.

They have the capability.

They already knew how much time you spent watching FOX news and Nickelodeon.

Bug Tussell
December 08, 2014, 12:10
Since I know about the TV spying, my wife and I will be having more "senior sex" in front of the TV from now on.

That ought to fix those NSA bastards!

W.E.G.
December 08, 2014, 12:31
I'm close enough to Fort Meade that I think I just heard somebody shriek.

ftierson
December 08, 2014, 14:58
I'm close enough to Fort Meade that I think I just heard somebody shriek.

:)

J. Armstrong
December 08, 2014, 17:39
Nice tv but you are correct. Your tv is spying on you. Listening and watching. I was reading a good article just last week on this very question. I'll try to find it and post it .
If you have any real concerns, you should disconnect it from the internet at a minimum to start.

I'd be interested in that link !

EPC WN
December 08, 2014, 18:24
Since I know about the TV spying, my wife and I will be having more "senior sex" in front of the TV from now on.

That ought to fix those NSA bastards!

Hell yes. Screw them. Ask for a copy.

SWOHFAL
December 13, 2014, 02:00

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/252755/your-smart-tv-could-be-listening-to-your-private-conversations

hardass
December 14, 2014, 09:09
Sorry I took awhile. The search engines on your internet have dozens of complaints about televisions spying on you. It's not just NSA type either. It could be your neighbor. Most of concerns are with Samsung and LG. But any smart tv.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2513592/Is-TV-spying-YOU.html

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/427405/is-your-tv-spying-on-you/
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-smart-tv-a-spy-in-the-living-room-as-webcam-hack-revealed-02292655/

The list go on and on. Do a quick search. :shades:

EPC WN
December 14, 2014, 10:44
Can the internet features be disabled on these tv's to anyone's knowledge? Orwell keeps paying dividends...

SWOHFAL
December 15, 2014, 01:05
Can the internet features be disabled on these tv's to anyone's knowledge? Orwell keeps paying dividends...

Would you REALLY trust that this truly turns those features off and can't be bypassed or hacked by the manufacturer, criminals or the NSA?

Roland
December 15, 2014, 19:45
Can the internet features be disabled on these tv's to anyone's knowledge? Orwell keeps paying dividends...******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1"><param value="*********************************************"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="*********************************************" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Ok, I have no idea how those TV's work but you can try removing the internet cable if they have one.

Bug Tussell
December 15, 2014, 20:39
Put a piece of tape over the camera. Disconnect the internet from the TV. But I still have my laptops hooked up. Tablet on wi-fi. Don't have a smartphone yet.
Lots of devices in our homes with the capability to spy so tape them up too I guess.