PDA

View Full Version : Tickel me MCP

MJ1
December 05, 2014, 20:18
Found a box of MCP's in the garage from 1986 I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/Hk93pic02d_zps290cfb62.jpg

SAFN49
December 05, 2014, 20:24
Nice find! How many were in the box? If you ever want to get rid of any :whistling:

MJ1
December 05, 2014, 20:31
Ten white boxes

21HK
December 06, 2014, 00:05
Nice find! How many were in the box? If you ever want to get rid of any :whistling:

Yes to this.

Ten white boxes
Don't you just love finding old s***t you forgot about.
LIQ or MCP?

Beryl
December 06, 2014, 09:56
Nice Sturmgewehr!

MJ1
December 06, 2014, 13:06
Nice Sturmgewehr!

I would have to defer to HDH's collection of pictures on that one..:tongue:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/DSCF0046_zps0b47a11f.jpg

.........MJ..........

MJ1
December 13, 2014, 22:02
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/vote08_zps569d57ef.jpg

I like to call this 1944 and 1964...:rofl:

hansellhd
December 15, 2014, 12:02
Ok I give up, what is a MCP:confused: Is it a Magazine.

HDH.

ServiceRifle
December 15, 2014, 15:23
MCP mags are steel 40rd HK93 mags - from the early/mid 80s. They are built every bit as well as HK mags and function great. I think they may be Korean HK contract mags. But somebody may have a more accurate history on these.

MJ1
December 16, 2014, 09:39
MCP was the creation of a real nice guy named John and his teen aged son as a teaching tool. They created a family of high capacity HK MP5, G33 and G3 steel magazines. In the early 80's HK G3/M91 magazines were still rare animal and they set out to fill this gap and made a decent 20 round steel magazine and I believe the next product was a 30 round magazine made from two magazine bodies welded up into a 30 rd. This was already done and offered by HK but always had a slight feeding problem. This is where the team made their major innovation with a double spring arrangement. They created a boost spring to compensate for the weight of the extra rounds. Next they tooled up to make 40 round 9mm and .223 magazines of a very high quality. It has been almost thirty years when I stopped by there table and listened to them explain some of the history behind their products so that was the last time I had one taken apart in front of me. Also I can not find the original paper work but I'm sure if you had some old MGN magazines you would find the original ad material. In the pre 1986 days there were a dozen companies making sear guns and receiver guns for the Class III community creating a bigger is better kind of market. Sadly today I can't find much on the web about them or why they closed down. Their product is considered excellent and sought after by the regulars at MG shoots like Knob Creek. All this is just from recollection from conversations at a table in Las Vegas and a very short chat standing in a food line at the MGM Grand almost 30 years past. Your mileage may differ.
............................:biggrin:............. ..............

Just for a moment think about the trial and error that went into the manufacture and marketing plan developed by a man and his son. I went away with the impression that like HP and Apple that here was another garage project that could grow and at least provide a life lesson and possibly monies to further an education and life skills to a young man and shared with a father. Cool!

If you can add to this small bit of information or know first hand the rest of the story and even correct my account were I have strayed please contribute. Today I believe the bans that tumbled out of someones butt may have spelled the end of this project. I don't believe the lessons learned would have been lost and that the team just moved on to new venues....;)

ServiceRifle
December 16, 2014, 10:16
Thanks for the background on the mags. The MCP mags are as good as if not better than the HK mags. Too bad the first Bush people went off the deep end in 89 and started the "assault weapons ban" think. I assume their business collapsed when the HK market dried up.

MJ1
December 17, 2014, 12:16
That would be most likely what happened. They would not have been alone in that fate sadly.

Ron E Smith
December 17, 2014, 18:42
MCP stood for Max Capacity Products. They were of Taiwanese origin and imported at first by a company called B-West in AZ I think. Very high quality.
Ron

MJ1
December 21, 2014, 17:25
MCP stood for Max Capacity Products. They were of Taiwanese origin and imported at first by a company called B-West in AZ I think. Very high quality.
Ron

That is an interesting twist Mr Smith. I don't recall B-West offering MCP. I would ask why the magazine's were never seen again if there was someone to ask. I will wait till after the holidays when the boss packs her ruck and heads back to central america to pull out some old boxes of records.:wink:

Ron E Smith
December 22, 2014, 19:08
My information from way back, indicated that when the 1994 Crime Bill went into effect and eliminated" High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices" for the masses, the market collapsed and numerous manufacturers went out of business.
Ron

MJ1
December 24, 2014, 10:50
MCP vanished long before 1994 as I recall and the magazines went off the market and never reappeared. Not arguing here Mr Smith but if the product was so good and made in Taiwan they should have been available from another source. I too would like an accurate answer. Thanks for the reply.

Happy Holidays

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/DSCF0015b_zps10ae1e3e.jpg

Ron E Smith
December 24, 2014, 18:42
Can only elaborate on my personal experiences with the product (Valmet, HK mags) and what i was told by my sources and suppliers. It may be anyone's guess as to what really happened and why. I can say that I never experienced any issues with what I used and sold. Sub Gun match users shooting MP5's thought very highly of the 40rd mags.