View Full Version : Question about plunger tube

December 05, 2014, 09:07
I'm replacing the frame of my RIA. Looking through the Brownells catalog, I see about 4 or 5 different names for plunger tubes. Does anyone have any sage advice on which is the better choice? Thanks in advance,

December 05, 2014, 11:43
I'm supposing your new frame is unobtainable with plunger installed? That would be the best solution, but...

I would buy the plunger tube from whoever made the frame if possible. Of the five tubes I see listed in Brownell's catalog, I'd choose the Ed Brown. I've not been disappointed by their products yet.

December 05, 2014, 11:50
That's what I ended up going with. I got the c-clamp looking plunger tube tool from Brownells as well, and a diamond bit to chamfer the leg hole interiors. Good thread about all of this here http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=468939&highlight=plunger+tube+install

December 05, 2014, 15:00
Too bad you didn't order a Caspian frame. They offer them with an integreal plunger tube that's actually part of the frame. I know this because I have one of the Caspian frames with an integral plunger tube. You can add the integral plunger tube as an option for an extra $29.16 over the cost of the base frame.

But since you've already ordered a frame and plunger tube, this info is probably a little after the fact, but you can save it for reference for your next build.