PDA

View Full Version : Don't see a 1911 like this everyday

Guy-epic
December 04, 2014, 21:51
All original 1911 made in 1918 never fired still in the box not a scuff on it.
I just wanted to share my friends great fortune

L Haney
December 04, 2014, 22:07
Where the hell did that come from. Spill the beans, man!

SAFN49
December 04, 2014, 22:22
Holy cow man!!!! WTF? How is that possible??? Did you rob a museum?

Hammer1
December 04, 2014, 23:30
Please tell us more.

kwthor
December 05, 2014, 01:06
More pics please. And bigger!

308/223shooter
December 05, 2014, 02:16
Bloody nice find! Would it be up for sale by chance?

hueyville
December 05, 2014, 08:35
There was a time when I would have run a box tbrough it just to be sure. Dont know how many classic, collectible and unfired guns I have purchased and run a few rounds or more down the barrel. Finally outgrew that so recently was able to sell several pre 64 Winchesters without a round having been fired through. Two had never been removed from box. That is a worthy find and have a feeling it will NOT be listed in the marketplace anytime soon.

J. Armstrong
December 05, 2014, 08:37
Geez, now you've got half the Files ( the Anti-Collectors ) salivating to get their hands on it so's they can shoot the piss out of it and not clean it.:facepalm:

01BIRDDOG
December 05, 2014, 08:57
Beautiful and almost like it's one of those "It's too good to be true stories" What a find. Here are the size of pics. we want to see of your 1918 but my 1917 looks like it's seen some better days. http://oi60.tinypic.com/k0m5hz.jpg

Guy-epic
December 05, 2014, 21:08
Sorry guys but I have one other picture to share. Here. Is the story a guy was cleaning grandpas stuff out finds a pistol and puts it in a drawer to hold into it. He almost turned it in to the Seattle gun buy back a year ago. He decided not being a gun guy to goto my friends store. They had it for a week to make sure it was the real deal. No one knows how he got it for sure. I was called as many others to bid on it. I know the bids went over $7500, the owner of the store bought it for less then $3500. We had a hard time putting a value on it exactly as well you don't ever see them, and often they have all been bought and sold years ago. We think that grandpa ordered it some how thru the military. It says property of US Government on it. The box has his name on it and some government stuff. So if anyone can explain that we would like to know. It for now is in the private collection of the shop owner who doesn't want me to out his name out there or the shop. He is in talks with it visiting a musuem for a bit. I can say that the pistol is in 100% condition the safety nor the hammer have scuff marks on them as in they don't look like they have ever been moved. I know the guy that sold it jumped on the first offer, which wasn't meant to be a ultra low ball. It was the fact that they figured he was going to ask for much more. I wish I could own it, and I have first rights to it his daughter said when dad dies I will call you. Great I have to loose a friend to get my unicorn. If I ever get it I have always said I will never own a gun I won't shoot. Well I have shot many 1911's I may not shoot this one, nor will the current owner. Sorry all I had was my phone to take pictures. If it goes into a musuem I will let you know. Also if anyone wants to make a offer I can pass it on. 78071
I am trying to think if there was any more info? I guess there is I do have to be careful to give the parties involved there privacy as they have requested it, did say I could put a couple of phone pics and the basic story up on this board. I know American Handgunner may do a story on it. It was kind of odd to hold it, I wanted to rack the slide so bad. I have seen these crazy numbers for Glocks lately, I can say you will never get a feeling like I did holding a Glock!

Jarhead504
December 05, 2014, 22:32
Before I scrolled down to the end of the thread, I told my kid that it was worth $8K. $3500? How can some people sleep at night?

Jarhead

Guy-epic
December 05, 2014, 22:58
Before I scrolled down to the end of the thread, I told my kid that it was worth $8K. $3500? How can some people sleep at night?

Jarhead

Two things I said less then. I can't say how much less. With that said the seller was told the value that many had put on it, but he wanted to sell it to a dealer so if it's sold they have to go thru a background check. Had he read the initiative he likely voted for he would of known it had to be sold thru a FFL in WA state. The buyer will sleep fine as would I. It's so nice

SAFN49
December 05, 2014, 22:58
I would just use it to open beer bottles.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377696

ALL FAL
December 06, 2014, 02:58
Amazing find, glad you got to see and hold it Guy, I have never seen such a pristine Original.

FUUN063
December 10, 2014, 02:18
I have just like it, but mine has seen use. I don't have the box, but am curious as to the serial number to see how close it is to mine. If you can get the serial number and don't mind telling, I would appreciate a PM to that effect. Thanks.

By they way, mine came from a museum some years back.

Leland

TerryN
December 10, 2014, 11:01
The Director of Civilian Marksmanship sold M1911s and A1s at various times. Officers mustering out at the end of WWII were also given the option of buying their pistols at government cost. Not sure if that was done at the end of The Great War or not, but I expect it was.

A very nice piece indeed!

Guy-epic
December 10, 2014, 16:00
I have just like it, but mine has seen use. I don't have the box, but am curious as to the serial number to see how close it is to mine. If you can get the serial number and don't mind telling, I would appreciate a PM to that effect. Thanks.

By they way, mine came from a museum some years back.

Leland

I will ask the owner. I made my last offer on it and it's now not for sale as cash offers are in over $10,000. I will see what I can do on the serial number mane get him to at least leave the last digit out.

MK ULTRA
December 10, 2014, 18:32
I will ask the owner. I made my last offer on it and it's now not for sale as cash offers are in over $10,000. I will see what I can do on the serial number mane get him to at least leave the last digit out.

why in the hell would he sell something like that for $3500??? He shouldn't even be telling that story. He should be ashamed. I don't believe it I really don't believe it. You tell him that.

its really amazing how stupid some people are.

Guy-epic
December 10, 2014, 18:52
why in the hell would he sell something like that for $3500??? He shouldn't even be telling that story. He should be ashamed. I don't believe it I really don't believe it. You tell him that.

its really amazing how stupid some people are.

I saw it go down the guy was a liberal anti gun guy that was worried that the gun was going to end up in a school shooting or something. He was told at the time we thought it was worth about double, he understands he sold it to a business that wants to double there money. It just ends up being worth, or shall we say people are willing to pay way more then we thought.

wonderdog451
January 09, 2015, 01:43
The Director of Civilian Marksmanship sold M1911s and A1s at various times. Officers mustering out at the end of WWII were also given the option of buying their pistols at government cost. Not sure if that was done at the end of The Great War or not, but I expect it was.

A very nice piece indeed!

I got my 1927 pre-Argentine Hartford Colt that way, a relative of mine bought it after he was mustered out after WW2 and being that he lived in a rural KKK dominated part of Mississippi at the time he kept it near him for many years. However, when he passed away, his idiot wife was going to turn it in for a gift card in a gun "buy back". But I put a stop to that by offering her double what the state was offering. I recently took it out and put several magazines through it and it greedily devoured all the 230 grain FMJ I fed it. The only thing I would modify is the trigger pull, other than that, it shot right to my point of aim out to about 25 feet.

snipe10
February 01, 2015, 16:08
well if he was a liberal anti gun guy, then good sale!

raexcct2
February 02, 2015, 21:47
I saw it go down the guy was a liberal anti gun guy that was worried that the gun was going to end up in a school shooting or something. He was told at the time we thought it was worth about double, he understands he sold it to a business that wants to double there money. It just ends up being worth, or shall we say people are willing to pay way more then we thought.

This just proves that liberalism is a mental disease.