PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Madness??

K. Funk
November 30, 2014, 19:55
I saw the thread on the $2k Marlin 336, now we have this...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453221339

I was watching the bids come in with amazement. I have always been indifferent to Glocks, but now I think I luv them!!

krf

rowjimmy
November 30, 2014, 20:08
Holy shit :eek:

Some guy's been trying to move a gen1 in the MP...he should send it off to GB and double his money.

I could not see paying that much for a Glock, even for collectable value. I love my G17, but you could buy a high end 1911 for that much dough.

Good for you on the sale.

SAFN49
November 30, 2014, 22:18
Yeah I had a Gen 1 and a couple Gen II's To a collector a earlier Gen I 1986 would have been more desirable. My Earliest now is a GK052US serial number, 1989. I just keep it around for the GK serial number.

Col. Bat Guano
November 30, 2014, 22:45
Wow! Maybe I should peddle my Gen 1 17 that I bought new in 1987. But then, I once sold a gun, and I regretted it later.:wink::wink:

SAFN49
November 30, 2014, 23:00
They are $400 pistols IMHO.

4x401
November 30, 2014, 23:08
Proof positive "There's one born every minute".....:facepalm:

SAFN49
November 30, 2014, 23:51

I know. There were many, many, police trade ins years ago. That's why I think they are worth about $400. I don't think I paid more than $400 for any of mine. $1200??? Someone is smoking crack.

Me thinks there may be some stupid people or shill bidders

d762nato
December 01, 2014, 07:15
+1 that's just craziness right there now, and why a nine anyway. Now a glock 20 or 29 is the way to go.

brunop
December 01, 2014, 09:28
That is not a $400 pistol. And it is not a police trade-in. And it is not like other people's 17s that they "bought new" in 1987.

That is new, unfired (maybe), complete with papers & box, Gen I Glock - and is probably a "collector's" item to some Glock fanboi who doesn't know how many Glock 17s there are out there AND who has the beginnings of a Glock 'collection'.

I'm not saying he's right, and I'm not spending $1225 on a Glock, but what he bought is not what is being described in some of the posts here.

:p

@rj - show me a high end 1911 for $1,200. I'm a buyer.

gunplumber
December 01, 2014, 10:38
Wow - I'd seek out 1st Gen guns for my grip reductions, because they were the lowest value. Who'dathunk that late 80s would be collectible. I've got a couple 2 letter prefix 17s, but I've modified them.

rowjimmy
December 01, 2014, 10:59

Good point. I guess Nighthawk, Les Brown and Wilson Combat are considered high end and a good bit pricier.

I recently bought a used Kimber TLE HDII for $865 with 5 extra mags and two blackhawk holsters and a mag holder. The pistol lists for $1300, but I guess that is mid-grade for 1911's.

What I'm saying is, I'm low class, so somebody else's mid-grade is my high end. :wink:

Arik
December 01, 2014, 11:08
That is not a $400 pistol. And it is not a police trade-in. And it is not like other people's 17s that they "bought new" in 1987.

That is new, unfired (maybe), complete with papers & box, Gen I Glock - and is probably a "collector's" item to some Glock fanboi who doesn't know how many Glock 17s there are out there AND who has the beginnings of a Glock 'collection'.

I'm not saying he's right, and I'm not spending $1225 on a Glock, but what he bought is not what is being described in some of the posts here.

No its still a $400. Around here police trades are around $300 and used Glocks, new condition or not, are $350 -$400. I can see maybe paying a bit more for one with Austrian proofs but its still a Glock. No amount of unfired new in box will make it $1200...not even $600. For the $1200 it would not only have to be the very first glock ever made but also owned, and signed by Gaston himself... and authenticated.

wanneroo
December 01, 2014, 12:04
and signed by Gaston himself... and authenticated.

And Gaston doesn't sign anything.

hagar
December 01, 2014, 13:20
They could not give me one of those for free.. :wink:

brunop
December 01, 2014, 17:33
No its still a $400. Around here police trades are around $300 and used Glocks, new condition or not, are $350 -$400. I can see maybe paying a bit more for one with Austrian proofs but its still a Glock. No amount of unfired new in box will make it $1200...not even $600. For the $1200 it would not only have to be the very first glock ever made but also owned, and signed by Gaston himself... and authenticated.

No, it is not - did you see the sale price? If it were, indeed, signed by Gaston and the very first Glock ever made, it would be worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not a million) to someone who fancies themselves a collector of such things.

You could make the same argument that the 1967 Camaro that just sold for $160,000 is only worth $5,000 - because that's what Camaros go for. Um, no. And the market is the final arbiter of something's worth.

You just don't see it that way, which is your prerogative. Meanwhile, people with equal prerogative (and more money, I'm guessing) do see it that way. And they can spend 1,225 on a quickly out-gassing, plastic-framed wonder gun if they want. If they can sell it for more, then it's worth MORE than 1,225 - no matter what the local police trade-ins are worth.

Here's a simple game: you don't like Picaso's art. You wouldn't give ten bucks for one of his pencil-scribblings of a woman's vagina - let alone $1M. You are not in the market, so your opinion of such things is of NO VALUE - because whether or not you like Picaso, his paintings are worth what the market, informed by scarcity, demand, expert opinions, and (ultimately) what people will pay, says they are worth.

Same thing here. You aren't in the market for a collectible, and are comparing something that someone deems "collectible" to a police trade-in. Your opinion, which will govern your actions (as it should), is of no value regarding the value of the collectible. Because you aren't in the market.

brunop
December 01, 2014, 17:39
Good point. I guess Nighthawk, Les Brown and Wilson Combat are considered high end and a good bit pricier.

I recently bought a used Kimber TLE HDII for $865 with 5 extra mags and two blackhawk holsters and a mag holder. The pistol lists for $1300, but I guess that is mid-grade for 1911's.

What I'm saying is, I'm low class, so somebody else's mid-grade is my high end. :wink:

Yeah - I can't afford those brands at this time. I have one Les Baer (I think you meant Ed Brown...) 1911 that I bought when I was feeling a little more flush. I can't tell that it is better than the parts gun 1911 assembled by Shlomo. I also have a couple of Colt Series 70 that I bought for under 900, and they're pretty dang good, too. So I don't 'get' the $4,500 1911. I don't fall into the income category of people who *do* 'get' the expensive 1911, though, either.

If I had the house paid off, I'd probably celebrate by buying a full-house custom 1911. Meanwhile, I keep buying Glocks - they're a smoking good gun for the money.

gunplumber
December 01, 2014, 17:39
That kind of thing has always amused me. If I buy a print, it is because it resonates with me. It has nothing to do with who painted it, or what some other person imagines it's worth.

There was a documentary on some kid who was supposed to be an awesome artist. People were paying big money for the work. It later became suspect, as being Dad's work. People wanted their money back. Why?

They bought it because they thought a child-prodigy did it. Not because they liked it for what it was.

Same with firearms. When I was collecting, I wanted a representative sample of a particular rifle. I didn't care if some parts were repaired or replaced. Others spend ridiculous (to me) prices for all-orginal. This intangible, spiritual value, doesn't make sense to me. That's why I sold all my Belgian guns and bought SAR-48s. Better rifle, and no spiritual inflation to the cost.

rowjimmy
December 01, 2014, 18:59
Yeah - I can't afford those brands at this time. I have one Les Baer (I think you meant Ed Brown...) 1911 that I bought when I was feeling a little more flush. ...

Man, I'm slipping.

And honestly, I'm not sure if I confused Les Baer for Ed Brown or vice versa... :p

rowjimmy
December 01, 2014, 19:02

Same with firearms. When I was collecting, I wanted a representative sample of a particular rifle. I didn't care if some parts were repaired or replaced. Others spend ridiculous (to me) prices for all-orginal. This intangible, spiritual value, doesn't make sense to me. That's why I sold all my Belgian guns and bought SAR-48s. Better rifle, and no spiritual inflation to the cost.

I'm a bit more pragmatic too. I think for the people with the money, the purchase of something unique or rare makes them unique by proxy. It's a vicarious way to live, but if you've got the dough...

K. Funk
December 01, 2014, 21:05
SAFN49...No schill bidders here. This was mine from an estate and sold fair and square from a penny start.

Funny thing is, I almost sold it to a buddy at work for $400, but he never committed. I had about 30 NIB Glocks and thought this one was the lowest value of them all. It was the last one to sell and brought the most by a factor of 2.5x. Gunbroker has been crazy for me lately, I've had some amazing numbers on ho-hum items in the last 2 weeks.

krf

SAFN49
December 01, 2014, 21:16
SAFN49...No schill bidders here. This was mine from an estate and sold fair and square from a penny start.

Funny thing is, I almost sold it to a buddy at work for $400, but he never committed. I had about 30 NIB Glocks and thought this one was the lowest value of them all. It was the last one to sell and brought the most by a factor of 2.5x. Gunbroker has been crazy for me lately, I've had some amazing numbers on ho-hum items in the last 2 weeks.

krf

No offense intended. It must be the stupid people. :biggrin: I just can't believe the price of some things these days, that had no real value. Kinda like beanie babies. Who would have ever thought a Gen 1 Glock 17 would have went for over a grand.
To each their own.

I've got a 1989 in the Tupperware with manual I'll sell you. It's one of the very first Gen 2 pistols :wink:

ALL FAL
December 02, 2014, 23:25
:rofl: I'll by any Glock for 89.95 or less. :tongue:

Just maybe some dummy want's to sell their Glock for less, like an Earl Schieb 89.95 paint jobbbbbb.

VALMET
December 03, 2014, 18:51
The Gen 1 19s are exceedingly rare as only a handful were produced before the transition to Gen 2. Gen 2 32s are pretty scarce as well.

Jarhead504
December 05, 2014, 22:49
I love Glocks but I find it hard-pressed to pay $1200 for one, although I understand the collectors spirit and ability to pay. New Glocks go for around $600 here but you can find "gently-used" pre-owned ones for $400. Glocks are the quintessential utilitarian side-arm, kind of like what the FAL is to rifles. If only FALs came in Tennifer (melonite) too.

Jarhead

rowjimmy
December 06, 2014, 13:08
I love Glocks but I find it hard-pressed to pay $1200 for one, although I understand the collectors spirit and ability to pay. New Glocks go for around $600 here but you can find "gently-used" pre-owned ones for $400. Glocks are the quintessential utilitarian side-arm, kind of like what the FAL is to rifles. If only FALs came in Tennifer (melonite) too.

Jarhead

PSA just had new G17's C's on sale for $460 or so.

homelandprotector
January 02, 2015, 02:05
Holy smokes !! now they have a TACTICAL G26 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=461234142

Only $849 now, maybe I should bid.....It is a TACTICAL model. :]

FALonious
January 02, 2015, 08:39
Wow....my 17 is a 9/86....in the same condition too. Look out GB.....:biggrin: