PDA

View Full Version : new savage mk2

zetabird
November 25, 2014, 15:44
just picked this up last night after waiting like a month for impact to ship it. so far i really like it, i slapped my bushnell on it and the bipod off my ar eventually ill get some better glass and a new stock. im pretty settled on rhindlands leopard stock. i also put a kaw valley comp on it that i had laying around because the fluting match the barrel lol
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/zetabird/Mobile%20Uploads/20141124_214547_zpsyege6a49.jpg

fnogger
November 25, 2014, 18:22
They can be really accurate. Mine preferred subsonic ammo. You'll end up hating the stock. Take about 500 rounds down the tube to show best accuracy.

zetabird
November 26, 2014, 09:20
i already dont like the stock lol, i had been going back and forth on the boyds or rhinland, ive got rhinlands 45 mauser kit so i figure ill go with his stock aswell lol

Tuhlmann
November 26, 2014, 10:07
I have a Boyd's Tacticool on my MkII and it is perfect for me. Not familiar with the Rhinelands, but if it's like their PSL stocks I'm sure it's top shelf too.

fnogger
November 26, 2014, 13:38
i already dont like the stock lol, i had been going back and forth on the boyds or rhinland, ive got rhinlands 45 mauser kit so i figure ill go with his stock aswell lol

Be aware that you'll need new bottom metal. When I replaced a stock on a FV I used a Boyds stock and a "thick bottom metal kit" from DIP - thick mag plate, trigger guard, appropriate longer screws to hold it all together. About $100 for the stock, $50 for the bottom metal. You can get factory spec bottom metal as well, but it isn't much cheaper and the Savages are takedown screw torque sensitive. Factory spec is 15 INCH pounds, the wood by the screws is really thin so the thick bottom metal helps a ton.

yovinny
November 26, 2014, 13:49
Whats the issue with the stock ?
Need more weight for a range gun or you just dont like it's aesthetics ?

Mine has been wonderful, nice and lite to carry, holds zero and shoots great. No issues at all, plus it still looks good, even after beating it to death hunting and having it live on the 4 wheeler for going on 3 years now.

Wish the rest of it looked as good as the stock,,,,But a park or maybe paint over park refinish is going to need to be added in the plan at some point...

Cheers, YV

zetabird
November 26, 2014, 14:27
the finish on mine is pretty good, the bolts a bit rough so some cleaning and polising contact points wouldnt hurt, the stock is serviceable but eh something different would be nice and i do know about the bottom metal

fnogger
November 26, 2014, 14:53
Whats the issue with the stock ?
Need more weight for a range gun or you just dont like it's aesthetics ?

Mine has been wonderful, nice and lite to carry, holds zero and shoots great. No issues at all, plus it still looks good, even after beating it to death hunting and having it live on the 4 wheeler for going on 3 years now.

Wish the rest of it looked as good as the stock,,,,But a park or maybe paint over park refinish is going to need to be added in the plan at some point...

Cheers, YV

On my FV the front of it flexed so much it was causing accuracy issues.

Changing the stock made it into a MOA gun with several kinds of ammo, shot from bags on a bench, a front rest, or a bipod.

yovinny
November 26, 2014, 15:17
On my FV the front of it flexed so much it was causing accuracy issues.

Changing the stock made it into a MOA gun with several kinds of ammo, shot from bags on a bench, a front rest, or a bipod.

Never had any accuracy issues with mine, just lucky I guess.
I test ammo and glass off bench/bags, but mostly mine is flexed over good with a tight sling and it still shoots like a lazer with ammo it likes.

Cheers, YV

zetabird
November 28, 2014, 08:50
ill see how it runs hopfully this weekend