PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby 'Fiberguard'

Whydah
November 22, 2014, 07:36
I have a Weatherby Fiberguard rifle chambered in .270. I have actually had the rifle for a long time. I bought it used years ago at a local shop, the rifle having been owned by a co-worker and traded to the shop. I know it was produced in Japan by Howa. I sent the barreled action off and had a finish called Nitex applied to make it more weatherproof. (Looks like stainless)

Over the years I have taken quite a few deer with this little rifle. There is one feature about it that I'm not clear on, and thats the stock itself.

I was told once that the early rifles that hit the market came with a McMillian fiberglass stock. I've never confirmed that and was hoping someone here could tell me if it is a McMillian stock.

Its a quite handy rifle, being very light-weight and a pleasure to carry in the woods. Thanks in advance for any information on this rifle.

MAINER
November 22, 2014, 10:25
My info says it's probably a Bell & Carson. The green Fiberguard stock was discontinued in 1988, later versions were grey w' black webbing. Weatherby used several different models of B&C stocks over the years.

One of the most common stocks used was a B&C Metalist, it would have a full length alum. bedding block. Another B&C stock used was pillar bedded.

Your stock could very well be McMillan, Vanguards came in so many different configurations and versions, both budget and deluxe, that anything is possible.

The newer stocks are made by HTI Plastics and are just that, injection molded plastic. :facepalm: My son bought a Vanguard a couple years ago in 30-06 and had me replace the stock with wood.

Whydah
November 22, 2014, 12:36
My info says it's probably a Bell & Carson. The green Fiberguard stock was discontinued in 1988, later versions were grey w' black webbing. Weatherby used several different models of B&C stocks over the years.

One of the most common stocks used was a B&C Metalist, it would have a full length alum. bedding block. Another B&C stock used was pillar bedded.

Your stock could very well be McMillan, Vanguards came in so many different configurations and versions, both budget and deluxe, that anything is possible.

The newer stocks are made by HTI Plastics and are just that, injection molded plastic. :facepalm: My son bought a Vanguard a couple years ago in 30-06 and had me replace the stock with wood.

Thanks for the reply, Mainer. My rifle did have the green stock and its an early model. I camo'd the stock in a ASAT pattern one summer when I was bored. Works good, though.

Andy the Aussie
November 22, 2014, 16:15
Fibremark rifles in the 80s were McMillian, early Fibreguards as well *I think*.... not sure though, it would be black though. I have a McMillian on my @1982 Vanguard in 300Win. I ordered the stock direct from McMillian to replace the too pretty wood.

Whydah
November 22, 2014, 18:25
Fibremark rifles in the 80s were McMillian, early Fibreguards as well *I think*.... not sure though, it would be black though. I have a McMillian on my @1982 Vanguard in 300Win. I ordered the stock direct from McMillian to replace the too pretty wood.

Thanks, Andy. I can't remember if I was told the stock was a McMillion or read it somewhere. Regardless, its a great little rifle.