PDA

View Full Version : does anybody have a 454 Casull or a 460 S&W ?

Cava3r4
November 19, 2014, 10:22
Please comment only if you have one, had one, or fired one more then once.
I don't want to hear about my buddies friend who said this and that.
no rumors please.

1) what length barrel?
2 and 3) How much does it cost USED? and NEW?
4) Loads you use in it?
5) anything else?
Thanks

Slow
November 19, 2014, 11:11
1 Freedom Arms .454 casull 7 1/2 barrell
2&3 no idea. got mine in the mid 90's
4 i purchased various loads from the light to the full power loads from freedom arms ammo, have got more boxes from people who sold their pistol and discovered they had a few boxes left, then gave them to me

5. i scoped it with a 4x Leupold scope, IMO mistake, dont like the limited FOV, also i found out when shooting the monster dont try to control it, just relax and guide it up and way from your forehead. could not hit a barn with it till i discovered this.

havent shot the pistol in several years now, but the last time out i dropped 2 200+ lb boars @ 40-50 yrds with it. entrance hole look like an exit hole IIRC it was F.A. 300grn JHP ammo

DYNOMIKE
November 19, 2014, 14:31
I own a S&W .460 and purchased it brand new.
Don't quote me but I think they are about $1400.00

It's a fuggin Beast I can tell ya that BUT it's also versatile in that one can shoot .45LC, .454, & .460 Ammo.. This was a consideration for me and while the Factory Loadings of .460 Ammo can be stout to say the least shooting the gun w/.45LC or even .454 Ammo is downright pleasant..

Here are a few pics and comments from another thread I have somewhere else..

First 20 rds loaded up and ready for the Range tomorrow..
Selected my powder charge of H-110, set my dies and went after it..
Using RCBS Carbide dies but with this LONG ass case I still used a bit of lube.

CCI Mag LG Pistol primer
Hornady 200gr bullet
47gr H-110 (10% down from the 52.7 gr MAX)

Even so 47gr of H-110 is a LOT!! :eek:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P1290257.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P1290259.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P1290260.jpg

Ohhhhh, that's a LOT of H-110!!
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P2130272_zpsbf4b8dc6.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P2130273_zps867d473e.jpg :eek:

Timber Wolf
November 19, 2014, 18:56
Don't have one, don't want one, but really like my .480 Ruger (original 6 shot Super Redhawk). And yes I have actually shot a 7 1/2" .454 Casull, I think it was twice.:D I have a Bud who has several Casull's and they are a marvel of firearm manufacturing and a joy to hold. I just do not care to own, load for, or shoot one (any more). He also has a couple of .460 S&Ws but I have not shot any of them. But damn they are a huge gun. No bull, the .480 is all I want in a handgun, big and bad without all the drama.;)

ALL FAL
November 19, 2014, 19:25
Had one for a while in Alaska, there are many up there. Not even rough to shoot, but, I am a big guy with big hands. When Casull started sending a few out for testing thats when I tested one, about like a hot loaded .44 mag if ya ask me, I kept my 6" 629 Smith, either one will kill a bear at close range.

The first Casull I shot was from Freedom arms, have shot it from a Super red hawk too, both were smooth operators.

gew98
November 19, 2014, 20:20
Please comment only if you have one, had one, or fired one more then once.
I don't want to hear about my buddies friend who said this and that.
no rumors please.

1) what length barrel?
2 and 3) How much does it cost USED? and NEW?
4) Loads you use in it?
5) anything else?
Thanks

http://www.kyclassifieds.com/ads/like-new-magnum-research-bfr-454-casull/

Illurian00
November 19, 2014, 20:54
Years ago, I shot a NAA 454, 7.5" bb. (IIRC). Brass bead front, notch rear.
Ran a couple cylinders through it, that was enough. I could feel stress cracks forming in my wrist bones. Even so, it was a good shooter !! I had a chance to run a 50 Desert Eagle one time, I think the 454 was more manageable.
Can't recall what the cost of ammo was then, it's was pricey though, certainly costs more now.
If your walking around Alaska,and don't want to hump a 12ga, slug gun, a 454 can be carried in a shoulder rig, and should do the trick.

easttex
November 19, 2014, 22:02
A family member has a 454 Casull Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel that is scoped. Collectively, I think I've shot it maybe six times. I shoot a .44 magnum and would describe the recoil of the 454 as violent, comparatively speaking. He likes it a bunch and may shoot it 40-50 times on a range trip. Me however, na uh...if I need something that big, I need a rifle. But to each their own I suppose.

I really like Rugers revolvers and think they're a great value. Were I on the market for a new hand cannon, I would buy a Ruger without hesitation.

shortround
November 19, 2014, 23:30
I have a Freedom Arms Casull. Bought it in he early 90's from Magnaport Arms. It started out as a 10" barrel, which Magnaport cut back to 8 3/8" and gave their Stalker treatment. Jeweled hammer and trigger. Matt finish with polished accents. 4 port Magnaport. Topped off with a Leupold 2x handgun scope in their mounts with three rings. Pachmayr grips. Accurate as all get out with full power Freedom Arms ammo. 240 grain would shred the inside of a deer. 300 would leave a fist sized exit hole. Truly awesome.

Cost me right around $1600 back then. Don't know what it would take to duplicate today. Today's Freedom Arms start at around $2k. Add $750 for the Stalker package plus the cost of a scope.

Hunted exclusively with that gun for over 10 years. Have 14 deer to show for it including a pretty good sized 10 point. Also made my best shot offhand on a deer that someone had wounded the leg on. Hit it mid leap. Lotsa good memories.

Still have the gun. Haven't shot it since I quit hunting. Need to get it out.

moonbat60
November 20, 2014, 02:24
I've got a FA .454 Field Grade, purchased in the 1990s. Barrel is 7 1/2 in. not ported. Finish is STS matte.

I use it with my own reloads, with bullets from 185gr. to 300gr. mild to wild.

DYNOMIKE
November 20, 2014, 08:24
I have a Freedom Arms Casull. Bought it in he early 90's from Magnaport Arms. It started out as a 10" barrel, which Magnaport cut back to 8 3/8" and gave their Stalker treatment. Jeweled hammer and trigger. Matt finish with polished accents. 4 port Magnaport. Topped off with a Leupold 2x handgun scope in their mounts with three rings. Pachmayr grips. Accurate as all get out with full power Freedom Arms ammo. 240 grain would shred the inside of a deer. 300 would leave a fist sized exit hole. Truly awesome.

Cost me right around $1600 back then. Don't know what it would take to duplicate today. Today's Freedom Arms start at around $2k. Add $750 for the Stalker package plus the cost of a scope.

Hunted exclusively with that gun for over 10 years. Have 14 deer to show for it including a pretty good sized 10 point. Also made my best shot offhand on a deer that someone had wounded the leg on. Hit it mid leap. Lotsa good memories.

Still have the gun. Haven't shot it since I quit hunting. Need to get it out.

I had the "STALKER" Package done to my Ruger Super Blackhawk back in the day.. A really well done and worthwhile investment as the gun remains one of my favorites even now.

Illurian00
November 20, 2014, 23:20
A family member has a 454 Casull Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel that is scoped. Collectively, I think I've shot it maybe six times. I shoot a .44 magnum and would describe the recoil of the 454 as violent, comparatively speaking. He likes it a bunch and may shoot it 40-50 times on a range trip. Me however, na uh...if I need something that big, I need a rifle. But to each their own I suppose.

I really like Rugers revolvers and think they're a great value. Were I on the market for a new hand cannon, I would buy a Ruger without hesitation.

Now that you mention it, I had a chance to try a RugerSuperRedHawk converted to 454. Heavy bbl., 9" (?). The guy paid good money for a rod from a specialty metals dealer and had the bbl. made. Paid good money for the five shot cylinder as well. That heavy bbl. calmed things down quite a bit. Like the man said , for that kind of weight and bulk, I think I would just as soon carry a rifle.

MMichaelAK
November 21, 2014, 13:49
I bought my Ruger SRH about 4 years ago. 7.5" and shot it with and without the 2x Weaver I have on it now. I liked the accuracy without the scope but with the scope, it's silly fun.

New guns here in ALaska, $900-$950.
Used guns tend to get carried a little and shot even less so they are usually $800-$900.

They are big and heavy so a shoulder holster or chest rig is a must.

20 rounds of Hornady or Speer factory ammo runs almost $40 so I hand load.
I have used Siera 300 grain JFP bullets, Hornady 300 grain XTP Magnum bullets, and right now I cant recall the name of the company that cast the 300 grain WFNGC hard cast lead bullets I used, because I am casting my own now. H-1110 powder and small rifle magnum primers in Starline brass.

Read your reloading manual and start with the low load and work up as your gun allows.

Cava3r4
November 21, 2014, 21:53
some HOT loads for it here
http://www.underwoodammo.com/454casull.aspx

randyj
November 23, 2014, 21:07
I had a Ruger super redhawk 7.5 inch barrel stainless with rugers dark gray finish .454casull. scoped with the factory rings 1.5x4 scope (cant remember manufacturer) anyway shot great with ,45c to the .454 280 grainers but them damn 300s were almost impossible for me to handle well enough to get off a second follow up shot.
had to use a wood dowl to punch out the empties from the 300s called ruger and was told yea that'll happen.
wore it for 2 years while deer hunting but took deer outside my comfort zone with a handgun, so stuck with my shotgun.

hagar
November 24, 2014, 10:58
Sorry for the off topic post. Never shot one, but I have shot a 50 caliber Desert Eagle, which I did not like much. When I lived in upstate NY, for 3 years in a row there was an accident where some awesole killed himself falling out of a deerstand with a loaded Casull. If you hunt with one, leave the chamber under the hammer empty!

http://www.insiderexclusive.com/justice-in-america/killer-guns-the-freedom-arms-fa-model-83-454-casull-caliber-revolver

Not to blame the Casull, every year there would be a couple of horrible stories about people offing themselves, a friend, relative or complete stranger during deer season. They shoot at anything they hear or see, so big is the pressure to come home with a buck. Just read about a father killing his son in PA after mistaking him for a deer.

K. Funk
November 30, 2014, 08:53
A buddy of mine has a 460 S&W that I load for him. He got the revolver for $60 on a gun ticket!! I do not think it is that gaud awful to shoot. I load it up with 340gr cast over a healthy dose of H110. He has also fired Black Hills .454 out of it. I am planning on getting a 460 to go with my 500, which I really like. The 460 barrel length is 8-3/8' (?) and my 500 is 6-1/2". The 460's and 500's are generally 1k and up, with 1200 being pretty common. While I can load the 460 pretty cheep, there is no cheap loading for the 500 as bullets are generally pretty expensive. My loads are in the buck a piece level.

krf

RG Coburn
November 30, 2014, 10:32
Cripes...those .460s look like 105mm rounds on the screen.
We recently got the laws in southern Michigan changed to where we can hunt with straight walled centerfire pistol cartridges that fall within certain parameters of caliber and length,and .460 falls in it. Wish I could find a barrel for my NEF single shot for it.

hueyville
November 30, 2014, 16:15
Taurus Raging Bull 10" in 454 Casull. I shoot hard cast lead Keith style bullets in the 250 to 360 grain range using Lyman copper gas checks. 250 grain bullets for range and heavier for hunting. A 360 grain hard cast out of a long barrell 454 will break almost any North American games shoulder and get to vital organs. H110 is my go-to powder for most loads.

http://www.crowderinc.com/images/guns/wheelguns/taurus454casull02.jpg

fnogger
December 01, 2014, 21:28
Now that you mention it, I had a chance to try a RugerSuperRedHawk converted to 454. Heavy bbl., 9" (?). The guy paid good money for a rod from a specialty metals dealer and had the bbl. made. Paid good money for the five shot cylinder as well. That heavy bbl. calmed things down quite a bit. Like the man said , for that kind of weight and bulk, I think I would just as soon carry a rifle.

Indeed, my Ruger 44 mag carbine (1963 vintage) weighs just over 5lbs loaded.

My Contender w/ 8.5"ish barrel with factory 44 mag loads was enough pistol recoil for me... y'all can keep the big boomers like the 454 and larger.

Of course, my favorite part about these big calibers is seeing the trade ins on shelf, with a partial box of ammo. Saw one S&W 500 with 1 round shot traded in... more than once. Most would have had a cylinder or two put thru them and thats it.

hueyville
December 06, 2014, 08:39
Indeed, my Ruger 44 mag carbine (1963 vintage) weighs just over 5lbs loaded.

My Contender w/ 8.5"ish barrel with factory 44 mag loads was enough pistol recoil for me... y'all can keep the big boomers like the 454 and larger.

Of course, my favorite part about these big calibers is seeing the trade ins on shelf, with a partial box of ammo. Saw one S&W 500 with 1 round shot traded in... more than once. Most would have had a cylinder or two put thru them and thats it.

The ported Raging Bull is heavy and built well. Recoil is no worse than a six inch 44 mag. With 250 grain SWC ammo its actually quite tame.

Wecsogery
December 17, 2014, 01:09
I have fired a Raging Bull .454 with 260 grain bullets, but I don't own one. I do however own a 6-shot SRH .480. I load it with the Lee 400 grain cast flatnose over a suitable charge of 2400. I also have a couple of Ruger single actions in .45 Colt that I load with several different cast bullets, to exceed .44 Magnum power. For those loads I use WC820 just about to the base of the bullet, or slightly less. Also 2400 and AL-8.