View Full Version : Browning current value

RG Coburn
November 14, 2014, 22:52
A bud got a 16 gauge Browning autoloader. I am not an expert on Brownings,but a local shop offered him $225 for it. Here's what I do know:
Polychoke on the barrel..
Has a mag cut-off.
Serial number is 118xxx range.
Has an FN buttplate.
I guessing its a Belgian made Browning. The former owner electro'd his name and soc. onto the receiver and barrel. Won't affect function,but looks stupid,though not in terribly large letters. Wood looks decent.
SWAG...what is something like this worth?

Edit...I googled the serial number,and its apparently an A-5 made between 1909 or something and 1939. Still curious to its general value.

November 15, 2014, 13:29
225 is pretty generous for a 16 ga in non-collectable condition around here.

November 15, 2014, 15:28
And the poly choke kills it, not to mention that an FN 16ga that early takes the 2 9/16" shells. The ejection port can be opened up to function 2 3/4" if it hasn't already, but,.........

I'm really surprised that a shop offered $225. Not that it isn't worth that but shops don't stay in business offering what something's worth. They didn't leave much room for profit, but likely they don't know much about it either and just made the offer based on "Browning".

November 15, 2014, 22:19
That serial number range should place it around 1937-1939, late enough to be for 2 3/4 inch shells. The Polychoke is a demerit unless factory installed. What kills it is the electro pencil graffiti.

It is possibly a sweet 16, does the barrel ring have three holes drilled in it ?

Not all Sweet 16s were marked as such.

The gun if in good condition is worth 225 all day long for a shooter. As a matter of fact if you could purchase a new firearm of this quality it would cost 10 times that. As a small gauge it will be worth more that a 12 gauge.

I have an A5 16 built 10 or so years before this one, it is for 2 9/16 shells, it is one of the best shooting auto shotguns ever built.

November 17, 2014, 16:36
I'm kinda' with kev on this one for this area. 16's, modified with the Polychoke and "engraving" don't usually bring much more than $200.0 or so. Sweet sixteen's however, bring nice money except in the condition listed above. Then, considerably lower. I have an early 20 that I dearly love and would not sell.