PDA

View Full Version : Savage M10 Precision Carbine

Whydah
November 13, 2014, 10:29
I'll not go into a long winded review of this rifle. Plenty of those on the net already. I'll just say that I ordered one of these rifles in .308 last week through a local dealer. It arrived three days later.

I ordered a tactical scope, base, rings from Midway the same day. The arrived at my door two days later. (Nice job, Midway!)

Many have said that this rifle likes the heavier bullets - 165/168gr stuff. All I had on hand were Remington 150gr. soft-points. So I set up at a range of 100 meters. It took a bit getting used to the adjustments on the mil/mil scope. Once on paper and shooting from the prone position, the rifle was putting some nice groups on target. My last four shots grouped 1.5" and 2.5" high. Would have been under 1" had I not drifted one of the shots out a bit. My fault.

Very pleased with this little rifle. Quite light for a tactical rifle, unlike the Remington SPS I had previously. The older I get the better I like less weight. The trigger broke at a clean 1.5 lbs out of the box with no adjustment. Love the detachable magazine, too.

littlehoot
November 14, 2014, 13:09
if these rifles hold true to other savage rifles, those groups will tighten up a good bit as the gun breaks in.

Tuhlmann
November 14, 2014, 16:54
Here is mine before the bolt handle upgrade:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/Tuhlmann/IMG_0621_zpsafae873b.jpg

They are a sweet little rifle, well capable of meeting my capabilities.

Whydah
November 15, 2014, 15:15
Really nice, Tuhlman. What stock are you using?

Yes, Littlehoot. I have heard that before. I did find a box of 165gr ammo and am looking forward to trying those out. This is the first Savage I've ever owned.

Tuhlmann
November 15, 2014, 19:06
That's a Choate Tactical stock. Not many options out there for a DBM Accu-Stock Savage right now, but the Choate is brick shithouse tough and had the features I wanted at a price I didn't choke on. Fit & Finnish is not first class and it's a heavy stock, but it's perfect for my purposes.