PDA

View Full Version : Law Suit to challenge MG Ban

Artful
November 11, 2014, 00:56
http://www.gofundme.com/fmxlnk

To contact me, please use my email address: stephen@sdslaw.us. My website is www.sdslaw.us.

My name is Stephen Stamboulieh. I am an attorney in Mississippi that has tirelessly worked to further our 2nd Amendment rights.

Now, my sights are set on 18 USC sec 922(o). This is known as the machinegun ban. I don't believe this is constitutional in light of the Second Amendment to the Constitution. Likewise, the National Firearms Act ("NFA"), which taxes the making and transferring of Title II weapons (machineguns, suppressors, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns, etc) is ripe to be attacked on Second Amendment grounds.

We have the avenue to attack both the machinegun ban and the NFA with the BATFE's recent approval of a number of Form 1s. I have a number of clients that I will be filing a lawsuit on behalf of to seek to overturn the ban and the NFA in different states.

Crossing my fingers

m60shooter
November 11, 2014, 06:10
i wouldn't get my hopes up to high, another attorney who is quite familure with nfa law says his suit has no merit, but worse of all this suit may stir the pot for the anti gun crowd in washington when the word gets out that ( CITIZENS CAN OWN MACHINEGUNS ! ) oh my god, we need to change that ! sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lye.
imagine how many mg's would be registered in the first few months if they lifted the hughes ammendment of 86. not hundreds, not thousands, tens of thousands plus.
so with that being said i'd expect it to backfire and instead of a repeal maby we;ll get a raise on tax stamps instead, that $200 if adjusted for inflation should probably be well over a $1000. wouldn't that be a kicker.
i'm a little nervous about this one.

partisan50
November 11, 2014, 06:28
...that $200 if adjusted for inflation should probably be well over a $1000.

Um yeah, it would be like $3530 in today's useless dollars.

http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=200&year=1934

SAFN49
November 11, 2014, 08:23
and how many machine gun owners/dealers would actually support this???

They guy that just paid $60,000 for a (insert name here) MG, or the guy that just paid $25,000 for a Colt M16? They would see the value of these gun drop like a rock back to pre ban levels. A Colt M16 would be worth $1000 ~ $1200 if the ban was lifted.

wanneroo
November 11, 2014, 09:19
I believe when this first came out about a month or two ago after some discussion here on the internets it appears this attorney is probably not the guy you want to run with on this.

wanneroo
November 11, 2014, 09:24
and how many machine gun owners/dealers would actually support this???

They guy that just paid $60,000 for a (insert name here) MG, or the guy that just paid $25,000 for a Colt M16? They would see the value of these gun drop like a rock back to pre ban levels. A Colt M16 would be worth $1000 ~ $1200 if the ban was lifted.

Too bad for those guys. Machine guns have been hoovered up by wealthy collectors for whom price is no object, both driving up prices and restricting supply.

I've got no problem with people buying whatever they can afford but lobbying against the law and our rights just so one can maintain their "investment" to me those people can skydive out of a plane without a parachute.

If a ban was repealed I don't think those original guns are going to lose most of their value, maybe some, but what is original is original and that isn't going to change.

SAFN49
November 11, 2014, 09:43
Too bad for those guys. Machine guns have been hoovered up by wealthy collectors for whom price is no object, both driving up prices and restricting supply.

I've got no problem with people buying whatever they can afford but lobbying against the law and our rights just so one can maintain their "investment" to me those people can skydive out of a plane without a parachute.

If a ban was repealed I don't think those original guns are going to lose most of their value, maybe some, but what is original is original and that isn't going to change.

Depends upon how many originals are still available. Currently a Bren goes for about $25,000. There is a bonded warehouse full of Brens that have not been demilled yet. Demilled they are worth $600 each. Not having to demill them and as a newly registered MG they could be sold for $800 to $1000 each. If they have to be demilled/rebuilt and get a U.S. made bbl it would push the price up to ~$4500. Still well below the $25,000 current price. Do you really think some rich guys that may have hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, invested in their collections are just going to let that evaporate?

I would love to see the ban repealed and the NFA go away.

wanneroo
November 11, 2014, 10:02
Do you really think some rich guys that may have hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, invested in their collections are just going to let that evaporate?

I think some don't care because they are not in it for the money but of course some probably do and would lobby against it.

Sampson1986
November 11, 2014, 11:13
I've been watching this unfold since May.

I like the idea but I don't know if the goal is realistic.

Abominog
November 11, 2014, 11:44
Everyone should be bankrolling the NYSRPA lawsuit against NY's AWB.

If that goes down dead, MGs are right behind it. Scalia made it very clear that one should not go after the MG ban (yet).

357ross
November 11, 2014, 13:09
I commend this guy for trying this, but I think there's a better chance of being hit by a golden asteroid. And, it would still have to stand a SCOTUS challange, and that ain't gonna happen with the current crop of commies 'justices'. I can hear it now, news reports of mass shootings involving 'machine guns' just before the SCOTUS hears this case. Funny how that always seems to work out that way....