PDA

View Full Version : Advantage Arms conversion kits

moonbat60
November 09, 2014, 18:34
Hey guys,

in my quest of finding either a 1911 in .22LR or a conversion kit, I found this website of Advantage Arms.

They sell conversion kits for 1911's, Glocks, Springfield XD's and XDM's.

Has anybody on here got any experience with that company or their products ?

TYIA !

JohnnyMac
November 09, 2014, 21:48
I have an AA .22 LR conversion for my Glock-19. Takes less than a minute to swap the slides. They can be finicky as regards ammo. AA recommends using Remington Golden .22's, and specifically cautions against using Federals. However, my particular unit works BETTER with Federal bulk-pack then Remington. Mine took about 200 rounds to "settle in". I got the "Target" version, but if I did it again, I'd go for the "Combat" version, to which I could mount the same sights as my 9mm slide.

AA is in Kalifornistan, so they only make 10-round mags, though.

JMc

moonbat60
November 09, 2014, 22:16
I'm seriously considering buying one for my XD service 9mm.

How's the quality / workmanship on the AA unit, JMc ?

Nomad, 2nd
November 10, 2014, 01:19
Got a 19 and 26

I'd buy another.

Sagerider
November 10, 2014, 08:05
I got one for my 34 and love it :)

moonbat60
November 10, 2014, 16:51
I guess that the quality is well above average, so good to very good ?

Bertellione
November 13, 2014, 02:56
I had one for a Glock 17. When I first got it I had to send it back to have it worked on. I bought it at a gun show and they still took care of it for free.With CCI mini mags it was just as reliable as in 9mm and would consider for home protection if a 22 was called for. After it got worked on I can't recall one malfunction and I put thousands of rounds through it. The only reason I sold the kit was because I needed the money and made a profit from it.

gunplumber
November 13, 2014, 09:59
I have an AA .22 LR conversion for my Glock-19. Takes less than a minute to swap the slides. They can be finicky as regards ammo. AA recommends using Remington Golden .22's, and specifically cautions against using Federals. However, my particular unit works BETTER with Federal bulk-pack then Remington. Mine took about 200 rounds to "settle in". I got the "Target" version, but if I did it again, I'd go for the "Combat" version, to which I could mount the same sights as my 9mm slide.

AA is in Kalifornistan, so they only make 10-round mags, though.

JMc

This was my experience as well. It ran like a champ with federal bulk pack, jammed every other round with Remington bulk pack. I'm contemplating recutting the chambers.

I did not like the larger cap mag, and just use the 10s. I got extended barrels threaded for silencers in addition to the standard.

toys
November 13, 2014, 16:35
@ Bat

I have a couple of them. Just recently i got one for my XD45. havent had a chance to try/shoot it but it fit like a glove. They have imo/ime always made good quality stuff even tho it may take years to do so.

Just a note, i have several 1911 conversions from various vendors/mfg and i will say that about all of them will do what they are designed to do. It will depend on how fancy you want. I have a couple Ciners too even tho some prefer not to do business with him, i still do. I also have a Jarvis and had a chance to meet him many years ago. His conversion is all steel and uses ACE mags. Since i already have an ACE, the mags weren't an issue.

I also got a Marvel Long Side and its a sweet accurate shooter. But you will pay for it.

As far as a 1911 IN 22LR. do your homework. check out RFC for some long term testing. one of the members has an Chippia? 1911 and has 10K+ thru his. I won't say thats typical, but you will need to do your own homework to find out.

BTW, i have the SIG 1911/22 and its more or less a Chippia rebranded but has some nicer features. The takedown isn't the same as a CF 1911 either, but do some homework and see what floats your boat.

good luck

moonbat60
November 13, 2014, 18:20
Thanks, toys. I appreciate it.

I think I might just end up either with a SIG conversion kit for my SIG 1911 Carry Nitron, or a SIG 1911-22, and a conversion kit for my XD 9mm.