PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it pays to be cute

Timber Wolf
November 07, 2014, 21:17
Not me, my 11 year old daughter. :) Although I ain't half bad if I do say so myself but I digress. The story is this. Coworker calls me to say while out on a run he came across an old-timer with some reloading supplies he needed out of his (wife's) way. This fellow does not reload anymore, hasn't for some time nor does he expect to again. I call him and we set up a meet for after work and picking my daughter up from school. Anyway, we make trade (cut a deal) on the reloading supplies and in the course of going through them he finds a bag of handguns he had forgotten about (really). One of them is an older but not hurt S&W 22A in a rug with a couple of mags. He says "here is a cheap .22, would your daughter like to have it?":uhoh: I say "heck yes". He says "would you like to tell her?" I said "it's your deal you tell her". He goes back in the house where she was playing with their cats and brings her out to give it to her. I did the least I could do and told her to give him a hug.:)

jwv3
November 15, 2014, 19:46
Mighty nice of him!

4x401
November 15, 2014, 22:05
It's always heart warming to hear stuff like that. The gentleman would probably get a kick out of receiving a thank you note too.:bigangel:

ftierson
November 15, 2014, 22:36
Yup to all... :)

Forrest

L Haney
November 16, 2014, 08:09
I know what that 'old-timer' is feeling. He don't know it yet but a young man who is the son of a member here is going to get a 1911 that Shlomo built.

It was the first .45 the youngster ever shot. He had shot 9mm handguns before so he's not a neophyte. Earlier Shlomo put the thing in his hands and said "Step up here and shoot this thing." His dad gave permission (which the son actually looked to his father to make sure, and got the nod) and the young feller acquitted himself very well on some steel falling plate racks.

When Shlomo passed and time passed I've been trying to help his widow with the disposal of Mike's stuff.

Doing this with the thought of putting things into hands that would appreciate what they were and where of they came.

This weekend was gangbusters. Helped a feller load up Mike's prized South Bend lathe and tooling. It's somebody I KNOW Mike would be delighted to have it. It'll be used and it will be cared for.

That 1911 will be the first one that young man will own. It'll be a gift. I find that fitting. At this point in my life I find far more satisfaction in giving things away than acquiring them myself.

Well, almost. I got Shlomo's .308 Winchester Scout Rifle for me.

Anyway, if you get the chance, identify a youngster you find promising and help instill some of the values I've come to appreciate among our gun community.

kotengu
November 16, 2014, 08:56
Dangit El, I got somethin' in my eye now...

I didn't realize that was the plan for that 1911. I can't think of a better place for it. Well done.

L Haney
November 16, 2014, 09:50
I didn't realize that was the plan for that 1911.

Cause I didn't tell you. Julie knew. ;)

ALL FAL
November 16, 2014, 19:05
Nice, :) on all counts.

hueyville
November 18, 2014, 23:06
I know what that 'old-timer' is feeling. He don't know it yet but a young man who is the son of a member here is going to get a 1911 that Shlomo built.

It was the first .45 the youngster ever shot. He had shot 9mm handguns before so he's not a neophyte. Earlier Shlomo put the thing in his hands and said "Step up here and shoot this thing." His dad gave permission (which the son actually looked to his father to make sure, and got the nod) and the young feller acquitted himself very well on some steel falling plate racks.

That 1911 will be the first one that young man will own. It'll be a gift. I find that fitting. At this point in my life I find far more satisfaction in giving things away than acquiring them myself.

Well, almost. I got Shlomo's .308 Winchester Scout Rifle for me.

Anyway, if you get the chance, identify a youngster you find promising and help instill some of the values I've come to appreciate among our gun community.

I had quite a collection of custom Randall fighting knives I had collected over a lifetime. When Gulf War began I started giving one to every nephew or son of friend who got his papers to visit the sandpit. Now down to only one left and with this President we have, may not get rid of it. Felt good to know they all went with a knife that won't leave them in a lurch.

Nomad, 2nd
November 19, 2014, 22:53
It's good to get a "hook" into the younger generation.

I got a buddy of mine Into shooting (he now carries daily and shoots often)
I gave his son a Sears brand .22 bolt gun I picked up for $25 at an estate sale.
Made his year, and cost me practically nothing....