PDA

View Full Version : 1903A3 question

andresere
November 03, 2014, 15:24
About 10 years ago I picked up a Smith Corona A3 for a very good deal. I finally got to shoot it yesterday. It has the original front sight blade protector on it and it drives me crazy. At first it was canted, so I squared it up with the blade. Then I noticed that the top of the blade is pretty close to touching it. It's not bent that I can tell, but it is hard to lollipop hold on the bull with where it is. I have read that they were only used for shipping, and I have also read that the USMC protector has a larger globe for that reason - so that it could remain on the rifle without affecting the shooter. I also read about how to remove it, but there were several warnings about damaging the finish of it and the rifle. Any one have any experience? Thanks.

palmettomoon
November 03, 2014, 16:17
About 10 years ago I picked up a Smith Corona A3 for a very good deal. I finally got to shoot it yesterday. It has the original front sight blade protector on it and it drives me crazy. At first it was canted, so I squared it up with the blade. Then I noticed that the top of the blade is pretty close to touching it. It's not bent that I can tell, but it is hard to lollipop hold on the bull with where it is. I have read that they were only used for shipping, and I have also read that the USMC protector has a larger globe for that reason - so that it could remain on the rifle without affecting the shooter. I also read about how to remove it, but there were several warnings about damaging the finish of it and the rifle. Any one have any experience? Thanks.

I take mine off and put it back with no issues. It is too close to utilize for shooting. Good luck finding a Marine model anywhere under a C note. I say take it off and leave it off if you plan to shoot it regularly.

andresere
November 03, 2014, 17:11
I will do. Thanks for the advice.

randy762ak
November 03, 2014, 19:12
It is supposed to be removed for shooting and replaced when done!

The 03-A3 is a superb weapon ,,The rear sight is a big improvement over the 03,, I have several and all are shooters,,, OJP and FN-61 Ammo is very accurate ,,,, Hand loads sierra 180Gr MK over AA 3100 is a top ticket,Just never shoot in a Garand !

jdmcomp
November 05, 2014, 07:44
Yes, it should be removed for shooting. However, to prevent damage to the bluing on the barrel end I line the inside of the sight protector with masking tape. The first rule of collecting is that condition will never get any better then when you buy the gun.

andresere
November 05, 2014, 07:58
Sounds good, but what would be the easiest way to remove it the very first time, without scratching the hell out of it or the barrel?

randy762ak
November 05, 2014, 16:31
I believe you push the barrel sight protector against a piece of wood Work bench etc. this rolls it back and you can remove it by hand !

andresere
November 05, 2014, 16:36
Just got through cleaning it and putting it away. Will give that a shot next week when I get her out to shoot again.

RG Coburn
November 06, 2014, 20:27
So a soldier was supposed to remove and replace it when in the field? Thats retarded.

randy762ak
November 07, 2014, 08:03
No,,The sight protector was used mostly as a Means to protect the ft sight during Racking, Transport ,Barracks storage, Especially during drills, I suppose it could have been used when Troops were stationed back far from the fighting ,,The purpose Im supposing is to save the thin sight from banging around When the rifle wont be used for some time,,I have studied photos from war time and have never seen a sight protector on an 03...

andresere
November 07, 2014, 08:24
I would like to get some snap on plastic protectors like I have for my Garand and M1A. Anyone know where these can be found? Fulton has them for everything but a 1903.

andresere
November 07, 2014, 08:39
Got the protector off. I used two hardwood dowels, held em like chopsticks and uses a rubber mallet to whack it. No damage to it or barrel. Looks like it has never been pulled off. Has a circle P, which I understand is made by G.E. Prentice Mfg. Co. I have found a new USMC protector - at $70 it better pull the trigger for me. :D