PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point?

fnogger
October 31, 2014, 11:11
Local shop/range place sells NFA stuff. They have an AR on the shelf with a 14.5" barrel, short birdcage flash hider/break on it. Normal AR collapsible stock.

What's the point to this? Why bother with the $200 tax stamp, the wait, etc. for 1.5" less OAL?

Or is it just pointless and the shop is showing it off?

(want the FF collective opinion, I'll casually ask about it next time I'm in the shop, probably mid next week and report back)

357ross
October 31, 2014, 12:14
Although the NFA law about barrel length is stupid anyway, 14.5 inches seems silly to me far a 223. About all you get is lots of flash, fire and noise, and much lower bullet velocity to boot. I would never consider the tax stamp for a barrel that's 1.5 inches shorter than a 16 inch barrel, for a 223 cartridge. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

Guy-epic
October 31, 2014, 12:34
Hey I think a SBR AK would be a blast to shoot, I think the reason for a AR in a gun shop is a huge draw of SEAL wannabes

nopec
October 31, 2014, 12:42
Some people just want the closest to an m4 they can get. 5.56 with fmj loses effectiveness with shorter barrels. with controlled expansion rounds, they can be effective. But sbr 5.56 carbines are LOUD. If I was to go the SBR route, I'd look at an AMD65.

kev
October 31, 2014, 13:45
Why a person would put up with the pain of NFA for one or two inches in a semi boggles my mind. I can see an advantage going much shorter(like maybe 10"), but even then I mostly see the utility of an SBR only if you're planning on sticking a suppressor on it.

But here's a thought that might make it easier to understand,.........

Just because it's got a 'proper' but pointless 14.5" upper on it now doesn't preclude the purchaser from putting any other short upper on it later. It's a registered SBR so if he wants he can have short barrels of any length/caliber/configuration for 'temporary' use. Notice that when you see an SBR AK it's never with a 14.5" barrel. AR's are 'modular'.

FWIW, I think I have about half a dozen SBR AR's and probably twice that many short uppers and I have never considered wanting a 14.5",.......but then I have very little interest or regard for the M4.

fnogger
October 31, 2014, 14:46
Why a person would put up with the pain of NFA for one or two inches in a semi boggles my mind. I can see an advantage going much shorter(like maybe 10"), but even then I mostly see the utility of an SBR only if you're planning on sticking a suppressor on it.

But here's a thought that might make it easier to understand,.........

Just because it's got a 'proper' but pointless 14.5" upper on it now doesn't preclude the purchaser from putting any other short upper on it later. It's a registered SBR so if he wants he can have short barrels of any length/caliber/configuration for 'temporary' use. Notice that when you see an SBR AK it's never with a 14.5" barrel. AR's are 'modular'.

FWIW, I think I have about half a dozen SBR AR's and probably twice that many short uppers and I have never considered wanting a 14.5",.......but then I have very little interest or regard for the M4.

I thought that part of the paperwork for making a SBR included a bit about the length of hte barrel, and you could go above it, but not below it... of course, if this is true, it may have been registered as having a 1" barrel and simply wears the 14.5" one because they got a deal on that upper...

Thanks for the insight guys!

kev
October 31, 2014, 15:11
Form1 or Form2 do include info on barrel length and overall length as well as caliber, but non-permanent, temporary changes to those details can be made without notice. Permanent changes to lengths and caliber do require BATF notification but not approval. With something modular like an AR you're pretty much free to accessorize and change to your Barbie-lovin' heart's content,............but the gun remains registered as originally defined.

If the paperwork says it's 14.5" I wouldn't not have a 14.5" barrel available. But I would comfortably take it to the range with an 11" upper on it and the 14.5" home in the safe. Maybe that's not the best plan but I think it's the one that everybody follows. If I sold off the 14.5" for some reason I'd elect a different upper for dedication and notify ATF with the new description.

wonderdog451
October 31, 2014, 18:24
It is just my opinion, but the SBR option makes sense only if you are planning to use something other than 5.56 NATO, pistol calibers or 300 Blackout are the prime candidates, especially with 9 or 10 inch barrels.

Surly
November 06, 2014, 22:57
If the paperwork says it's 14.5" I wouldn't not have a 14.5" barrel available. But I would comfortably take it to the range with an 11" upper on it and the 14.5" home in the safe. Maybe that's not the best plan but I think it's the one that everybody follows. If I sold off the 14.5" for some reason I'd elect a different upper for dedication and notify ATF with the new description.

What are they going to do? Bust you for having an SSBR instead of an SBR? Chances are, any LEO wouldn't notice a 14.5" barrel compared to a 16". Notification to the ATF is a courtesy and helps when transferring if you sell. Unless it's a transferable MG, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to buy a SBR'd AR from a dealer, the only perk to doing so would be if it's a factory configured rifle. Otherwise, your best bet is to file a Form 1 and and save some time and cash.;)