PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Opinions on new Colt Gold Cup??

VALMET
October 25, 2014, 13:52
Considering picking up a NIB Colt Series 80 Gold Cup (current mfg). Has anyone had any issues with these regarding feeding, FTE, etc?? I know some swear off new Colts but have a line on one and am considering it. I have a 1968 LW Commander and like it but understand the newer Colts aren't exactly like they used to be. Before the match-crowd chimes in, I'm not interested in acquiring a $2k+ Les Baer, Ed Brown, etc.

Any input is appreciated.

pjpjr
October 26, 2014, 08:22
Considering picking up a NIB Colt Series 80 Gold Cup (current mfg). Has anyone had any issues with these regarding feeding, FTE, etc?? I know some swear off new Colts but have a line on one and am considering it. I have a 1968 LW Commander and like it but understand the newer Colts aren't exactly like they used to be. Before the match-crowd chimes in, I'm not interested in acquiring a $2k+ Les Baer, Ed Brown, etc.

Any input is appreciated.
Buy one with confidence! Colt is producing some of it's best work now......quality is outstanding. There is a lot of history on these pistols and Colt did have a time where the quality was questionable but today.......WALA! :)
BTW I personally own several and these are box stock series 80 pistols that are in my opinion one of the best pistols for the money.

MAINER
October 26, 2014, 08:30
If they are anything like the current XSE pistols, and they should be, buy it.

Had my new 1911 transferred thru a local outfit that provides "Tactical Arms Training". One of the instructors asked if he could look it over and I gave him permission. He was impressed and told me "you got a good one".

The barrel locks up tight with zero movement when depressed. Sights are great, Knovak? 3 dot, but that won't apply to yours.

My only criticisms is that the trigger needs some work or more break-in time, and they put the serrations on the front of the Slide instead of the grip frame, minor stuff.

Another Files member mentioned that Colt had really upped their game in the past couple years, I'd say he was right.
Much better 1911 than my 70 series Govt. Model.

VALMET
October 26, 2014, 09:44
Thanks guy- I was under the impression that Colt's QC had gotten better in recent years as well. I'm going to definitely pick one up.

Invictus77
October 26, 2014, 09:56
I got a new National Match Gold Cup as a college grad gift for our youngest son last year. It was very smooth and had excellent accuracy right out of the box. After a few hundred rounds it just gets better.

Lee Carpentieri
October 26, 2014, 15:39
About four years ago I picked up a Colt 1991A1 Commander. All Colt 1911 series pistols have been built by the Colt custom shop for about 13 years now. When Colt discontinued thier revolvers and shifted the pistol workers to the M4 production line they still had to expand by 3 armours in the custom shop personal for the 1991A1 series 80's expansion of the XSE series, It did take them awhile to get that program going though as they use allot of Wilson oversize parts and then finish machine them at Colt.

But my 1991A1 series 80 does have a 4 1/2 pound trigger pull that is smoother than a baby's ass from Colt. Accuracy is very good with standard Winchester .45 ammo and very exceptional with Lake City match ammo.

patrick kelly
October 28, 2014, 10:24
Colt is currently making some of the best handguns in the companies history. The modernization of their production facilities has really shown through in the last few years. I carried a 1911 for decades and most of those were Colts, so I'm a fan of the brand. However, a couple of years ago I decided to finally buy one with adjustable sights for competition use. I leaned heavily towards the Gold Cup until I examined a Springfield Range Officer. The RO's overall fit was superior to the GC and the trigger was better. I went with the Range Officer and haven't regretted it one bit. I honestly think it's one of the best values in the current 1911 market and a better overall pistol than the Gold Cup, as well as being several hundred dollars cheaper.

cwo4uscgret
October 29, 2014, 22:57
Here's mine, barely used when I bought it; came in the original box and all the goodies including the magazines; some fake ivory checkered diamond Colt Stallion stocks. It shoots very nicely thank you!

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/1911/goldcup_mags.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/1911/goldcup_rear_sight.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/1911/colt_sight.jpg

Mine came with non-cataloged adjustable tritium sights...The gun was part of a special order for a Texas Law Enforcement Agency (so the story goes) and was an extra gun from the order.

FAL4EVER
November 11, 2014, 23:10
I bought a GC earlier this year. It's been 100% reliable so far and very accurate, even with cheap Winchester white box FMJ's.
No regrets, I ended up with a Combat Elite as well.