View Full Version : husqvarna 146 9.3x62 mauser

October 21, 2014, 21:04
Any one have any experience with the 9.3x62 mauser. Just bought one off ofGB. Should be a good bear and hog caiber. Anyone ever reload for this caiber or any hunting experience?

October 21, 2014, 23:57
Any one have any experience with the 9.3x62 mauser. Just bought one off ofGB. Should be a good bear and hog caiber. Anyone ever reload for this caiber or any hunting experience?

Sorry, but no. Looked at it decades ago. If you can find an old speer reloading manual you'll be fine. It is almost identical to the necked up .338-06. Fine caliber for hogs, deer, and bear. Just not very popular in the US.

October 22, 2014, 00:54
An old timer used to show up at a club I was in, had a Mannlicher in that calibre, IIRC a Steyr. Uber Fudd stick, very nice, .366 I believe. I think you can form cases from '06 (?)

A quick search should turn up plenty of load data.

Have fun,,,,:whiskey:

October 22, 2014, 08:38
I believe member Skeeterbay has a CZ in that chambering, but he doesn't show up here much these days. :(

The 9.3X62 is very similar to the 35 Whelen in performance so it be suitable for all critters great and not too small.

KW says his best "all-around" load consisted of a 270 grn. Speer semi spritzer soft point with 58.0 gr of RL 15 in RWS cases. Vel. is 2,373 fps. 55.0 grns. of the same powder gave best accuracy with this bullet.
Reloader 15 and IMR 4320 were the favored powders for this cartridge.

I would definitely be doing some cast bullets with that rifle. :cool:

October 22, 2014, 09:11
Check on the Shooters pro shop, they have it listed for sale and Nolser Bullets also at times.

October 22, 2014, 19:01
Thanks for all the replies.it's a real thumper.

October 25, 2014, 07:10
There is an ever growing number of hunters that realize that a medium caliber. cup and core bullet at mid-2000 fps range produces as much or more DRT critters than a HV, small caliber whoopty-do bullet.

Everything old is new again.

I'm waiting on the .405 Win to make a come back. :D

October 29, 2014, 19:13
im really wanting to build up a savage in 338-06, good looking cartridge, and plenty of 06 parent cases out there to load up.

October 30, 2014, 20:12
Mainer is correct I do hunt with and reload for the 9.3X62mm. It's my favorite medium range big game caliber.

I starting using it for moose and it's a very good round for moose and other large bodied animals. I always figured it was a bit much for black bear and deer but we have used it on them with great success. Surprisingly we have experienced very little meat damage with those big slow slugs on small game such as deer and black bear. Way less damage than what I get from a 30-06 or a 300 win mag using 165 to 180 grain bullets. The farthest I have ever had any game run after being hit with the 9.3 is 50 paces. Most animals have dropped right were they stood. To date all animals have had an exit wound.

Bullet wise I use 286 grain Woodleigh round nose weld cores for my hunting. They shoot very well in my rifle and give good velocities with a charge of IMR 4895. The Speer 270 grain hot cores shoot just as good in my rifle, maybe slightly better and would probably be a better bullet for deer and black bear. I am not sure how the Speer's would work on hogs but I am confident the Woodleigh's would stop any hog. I tried some Privi 286 grain round nose bullets but they shot awful groups out of my rifle. A friend has a 9.3 and reports good luck with the Privi's on paper. I don't know if he's shot any game with them.

I have used Hornady, Nosler and Privi brass. I can not tell any difference in group size between the three brands. The privi brass has held up very well to multiple reloads. So it's what I use now.

Powder wise I settled on a load with IMR 4895 but there are plenty of good powders to choose from. VV N140 shot well but velocities were a bit slower than the 4895. The caliber is not finicky to load for.

Good luck with your new rifle.

Redneck Rob
October 31, 2014, 15:10
The 9.3x62 is my favorite medium as well. I use IMR 4064, CCI primers with Norma 286 grain round nose bullets. I've shot a lot of the name brand ammo out there and they shot as well as my hand loads. I think it's just the nature of the round to be accurate.

November 01, 2014, 21:22
Shot it today and thought the rifle would have more recoil. Shot very well. Standard Mauser 98 with a classic old school stock. Shot very well should be a good bear/ elk round. It's a heck of o
A chunk of lead. Pretty light rife stock is Very nice glueing and wood. Should make a great hunting rifle.

November 11, 2014, 20:31
Redneck bob
I got some new privi brass and bullets and want to know what load you use with lmr 4064 powder. I've used that powder in my 30-06 for many years. I found that 46.5 grs with 180 gn bullets may not be the fastest load but very accurate. This old husqvarna is going to be a little project gun for me. I want to put a longer and swept back bolt handle for betterscope clearence, and a winchester 3 posistion saftey. I also want to bed the stock and put in a crossbolt. I'm also looking for scope bases and ring suggestions. I have an older Redfield vintage 3-9 acutrac that I ' m going to mount. Planning on an elk hunt next year. I think the 9.3 will make a great elk rifle.