PDA

View Full Version : Gemtech Outback IID

L Haney
October 11, 2014, 07:47
What a lovely little thing! Got it on a Sig 1911/22 I bought just to do this with.

Like the book says, REALLY quiet with target-subsonic ammo at about 1050 fps. Tried a Stinger just to hear what it would do with that. Oh well, they weren't lying.

Gave it a wringing out, maybe eight magazines of target ammo on the day I got it last week. Then I thought I'd pull it down and see just how dirty it got with ~ 80 or so rounds.

Took it outside and put on my muffs because I knew when it came off the barrel all that trapped noise would slam out of there and sound like a cannon shot.

But something is wrong with it.

Made no concussive discharge at all when it unscrewed from the thread adapter. Was kind of flaky with the crud on the baffles. Not all that bad though.

So are those flakes condensed noise? Might be fun to re-constitute them for a prank. Anybody know how?

CLIVE85
October 11, 2014, 09:03
Mix the flakes with isopropyl alcohol to loosen the molecular bonds but be careful handling the mixture as it is pretty unstable.

L Haney
October 11, 2014, 09:26
Mix the flakes with isopropyl alcohol to loosen the molecular bonds but be careful handling the mixture as it is pretty unstable.

I'm with you on the ethanol loosening the acoustic bonds moleculary, but how do I control the rate of release?

I don't want the canary to sing in the cage, so to speak.

Exit308
October 11, 2014, 11:08
L, of course the flakes must be condensed noise, because, well, the noise had to go somewhere, right? I suggest that you collect an appropriate amount of the compressed noise flakes and place them in a proper container and place on a can of Tannerite. Back way the hell off and shoot the Tannerite with the suppressed weapon. The noise signature will reveal the quantity of noise that is contained in the flakes. Let us know how loud it is. Be careful with that stuff.:shades:

Tuhlmann
October 13, 2014, 19:46
I'm with you on the ethanol loosening the acoustic bonds moleculary, but how do I control the rate of release?

I don't want the canary to sing in the cage, so to speak.

Rate of release can be controlled one of two ways:

1) Use a buffer material such as sawdust, cellulose, or powdered polymer shot buffer to increase the volume-to-mass ratio. This will lower pressures, resulting in a less violent release.

or....

2) Use a retarding agent like the New York Times or the AR15.com Newsletter to reduce of expansion of the flakes.

Either way should provide you with a desirable result, but as always YMMV.

L Haney
October 14, 2014, 06:20
I like your idea of a retarding agent. They are more common in circulation and seem to be in endless supply.

:beer:

DYNOMIKE
October 14, 2014, 11:07
I like your idea of a retarding agent. They are more common in circulation and seem to be in endless supply.

:beer:

Pretty sure I see some retarding agents all right... :shades:

TOWS220
October 14, 2014, 19:11
Ethanol has proven to be an effective retarding agent in my experience. I have found it works well to increase accoustic output, however the rate of release rises rapidly before a sharp decline which can coincide with another "release" of sorts. As far as a loosening additive goes, I've tried it but the wife seems to limit consumption in response. :devil: :beer: :wink:

homelandprotector
October 19, 2014, 10:08
Didn't you have a bucket of anti matter layin around ?? I'd mix it with some of that. ;)