PDA

View Full Version : F88 being replaced here...

Andy the Aussie
October 03, 2014, 20:22
.... with what Lithgow are calling the F90...

http://www.lithgowarms.com/portfolio-item/f90/

...phase in starts now but large scale next year.

Thorack
October 03, 2014, 20:50
Ahhh,

The Ultra Cheese Grater, Andy which optic is standard, or is it unit specific?

Thorack

L Haney
October 03, 2014, 20:54
How does the Mauve coloration co-ordinate with issue uniforms? I hope there is no clash.

SAFN49
October 03, 2014, 21:42
How does the Mauve coloration co-ordinate with issue uniforms? I hope there is no clash.

I thought it was more of a puce coloration.

Andy the Aussie
October 03, 2014, 22:25
I think standard will be the little 1.5 or 2x ACOG but higher powered ACOGs along with Aimpoints, EoTechs and ELCANs are all in use as well, and will no doubt show up on these when they get out to the diggers. ADI developed a colour for these (that you see - ADI Light Brown) but the full issue version will be in Cerakote Coyote as it was found the original colour did not accentuate the eyes of enough troops to be acceptable ... ;) I think EF-88 will be the designation.

Thorack
October 03, 2014, 23:04
Andy,

Is ADI owned by Thales now? I had never heard of Thales until in Afghanistan alot of our coalition partners had Thales commo gear and electronics. The color dont look to bad. Better than Rhodie baby crap.

Thorack

Andy the Aussie
October 03, 2014, 23:22
Yep, Thales bought them out probably 10 + years ago,

moonbat60
October 04, 2014, 17:57
I wonder what's going to happen to all the old F88s they will replace.

According to Aussie govt tradition, they will probably be destroyed on the taxpayer"s $$$.

Andy the Aussie
October 04, 2014, 18:11
I am not sure, I would suspect the majority of the later (railed versions) will be stored and the older A1 styled will be smelted. It may be the case to that Reserve (non combat) units will received the present issue version to replace their A1s and not the EF model.

open ear shooter
October 13, 2014, 03:44
Andy the NZDF is looking for a replacement for the F88 as well, how ever the reason is reliability issue's with the F88 so the NZDF is starting to think for it's self we brought some FN Minimi 7.62mm and a Automatic H&K 40mm recently and got 300 New MAG 58s a few years back too, i wonder what the new Infantry Weapon will be Strong chance it will be a Diemeco M-16 Variant, it will be the first time since ANZAC's era that we have different Service Rifle's at least we will share the same Ammo Aye !!

Matell
October 17, 2014, 16:39
Now if only there could be some way for these to find their way in (or be licence built in SA only) in the US.

I suspect I have a better chance of my yank wife finally being ok with the notion that we move to Australia and I get a commission.....

Andy the Aussie
October 17, 2014, 16:57
Andy the NZDF is looking for a replacement for the F88 as well, how ever the reason is reliability issue's with the F88 so the NZDF is starting to think for it's self we brought some FN Minimi 7.62mm and a Automatic H&K 40mm recently and got 300 New MAG 58s a few years back too, i wonder what the new Infantry Weapon will be Strong chance it will be a Diemeco M-16 Variant, it will be the first time since ANZAC's era that we have different Service Rifle's at least we will share the same Ammo Aye !!

As I recall NZ is still issuing many of the first F88s you got from us.... makes sense they are starting to suffer... !!

The last 10 years have seen lots of new small arms make their way into service here. The M4 (Colt made) replaced the F88 with all SF types (SASR Cdo and IRR etc), the 7.62 Minimi started as SF issue and has expanded throughout the infantry, MAG58 still soldiers on, SR25s initially issued (still are) in the DMR role but the H&K 417 is replacing it. Blasers in .338LM got rolled out along with AWs and Barretts in .50cal.

http://www.army.gov.au/Our-work/Equipment-and-clothing/Small-Arms

open ear shooter
October 18, 2014, 04:10
[QUOTE=Andy the Aussie;3933538]As I recall NZ is still issuing many of the first F88s you got from us.... makes sense they are starting to suffer... !!

Not Quite Andy i recall plenty of moaning back in the late 90s and serious moaning during ET operation's and ever since, its finally declared not a reliable enough platform by NZDF i doubt we will see a Thales product for a long time in NZDF service ! i personally think the F88 A1 is alright how ever strongly dis like the 1x power scope and floating doughnut, would rather have aperture sight than that tube thing

Andy the Aussie
October 18, 2014, 04:56
I have never been a fan, I worked on SARP in the late 80s and early 90s for a short period. Galil won the trial (but they would not licence us to manufacture), M16A2 second AUG distant third...palms greased jobs offered post retirement and some "we will not follow the US politics" ....bingo AUG away... ;)

moonbat60
October 19, 2014, 20:24
Will there be a civilian-legal version in sight somewhere ?