View Full Version : Sako TRG-22 or Tikka T3 Sporter ?

John Crusher
October 01, 2014, 20:45
I'm looking at getting another .308 bolt gun and am considering these 2. I know there is about a yard difference in price , but do you really get that much more for your $ ? I mostly shoot paper and plates but am going to retire for the 3rd time soon and will hunt Elk,Deer and other North American big game. Thanks, John.

October 01, 2014, 22:35
I have 3 TRGs. They are stellar rifles, lights-out accurate. But they are not light, even the 20" shorty. I would not want to carry one all that far unless I had a biathlon-type sling on it en route to a hunting position.

October 05, 2014, 07:27
Given a chambering that will work for intended game and your realistic marksmanship capability under demand... choose the appropriate tool considering the style of hunting, your actual fitness level and the optional "necessities" you demand.

A sporter is the only type that makes sense for all modes of hunting. Blinds, hides, long treks and stalks. Reliable cold bore accuracy with very few follow up shots should be very doable by a sporter. It will also be that much less weight when you're dragging your game or packing a trophy. The Tikka is the better choice of the two.

Given your applications and finances I would look into a sporting custom that gives you a solid lighter weight stock (not found in most off the shelf rifles), excellent barrel and trigger choices and custom fitting. Add the appropriate sling and durable, lightweight variable HD optic in the 6x max range.

All that's left is to choose the right loads, practice and enjoy the other 95 percent of the hunt.