PDA

View Full Version : is a model 64 S&W

Cava3r4
October 01, 2014, 12:25
worth owning.
$279 is so called "good condition"?
it is 38 spcl with a 4 inch hammer, round butt, DAO and bobbed hammer.

Retired Bum
October 01, 2014, 13:04
I don't like to buy altered firearms but sometimes if the condition and the price is very good then I at least give it some thought.

That Model 64 you have described might be a bargain at $279. It all depends on what the seller considers "good condition". Don't buy it sight unseen. If at all possible give it a good inspection and shoot it if the seller agrees. A bobbed hammer and DAO sounds like it could be an ex police issue.

If you think that you can live with the alterations and the piece meets your level of being in good condition then I would say buy it. The Model 64 is still in production at this time. I have seen the four inch heavy barrel round butt model with the internal lock priced at close to $600 in a LGS. So a used model even altered at half that price and with out that damned lock sounds good to me.

The Retired One

kev
October 01, 2014, 13:41
Absolutely worth owning. The 4" RB DAO is probably a police trade. There are a dozen on GB right now(and I've bought 14 of them, so I do know something about them). I've bought my 14 sight unseen so I don't think there's much danger here. I've been paying $250 apiece for them from Cedar Post Pawn in Utah, but they're running about $280-285 each by the time I get them shipped and transferred to me. I'd buy them all day long if I had them available for $279 locally.

As police trades they most often are new inside with plenty of rubs and scuffs on the outside, but stainless Smiths are easy to spruce up if the exterior wear bothers you. Rub on it for awhile with a Scotchbrite pad or bead blast with ultra fine media for a matte finish and it'll look and function like new.

Here's a few pics,.......

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kaveman9/20140814_193833_zps95890e5b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kaveman9/20140822_230650_zps9ef85665.jpg

I'm just using them to show off my grips. Haven't buffed these up at all,.....just pulled the rubber grips off and slapped on the Rosewoods. These two are 64-6's with the frame mounted firing pins.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kaveman9/DSC05966_zps45d53512.jpg

This one is a 64-5 with hammer mounted firing pin and my only Square Butt.

W.E.G.
October 01, 2014, 14:59
I got a couple of the DAO 64's when they were cheap and abundant.

I converted one to SA/DA.
It was not the "drop-in" job I thought it would be.
I think I got it right in the end, but I throw that out as a caution to anybody who might be considering the same course of action.

I wrote it up on the S&W forum.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/123623-want-convert-dao-model-64-5-single-double-action.html

Short version:
Sear must be fitted, and there is precious little metal to work with.
Hammer nose likely won't match up with recoil-shield bushing, so expect deformation issues and breakage unless you just happen to luck out.

kev
October 01, 2014, 15:32
False economy to convert away from the DAO. If you want SA/DA, buy one. I have a minor DAO addiction going right now and running a high fever. I'm finding a lot of statements from people who find that they are shooting better with the DAO than they were shooting before with the identical item in SA.

Besides all the S&W M64 DAO revolvers I've picked up more than two dozen 3rd generation Smith DAO autoloaders. I'm committed,.................or at least I think I ought to be.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/S_W_LE_Trades_3_.JPG

Beryl
October 01, 2014, 16:49
For the crazy prices people want for S&W revolvers these days, I would say go for it. Make sure it isn't shot to shit and all, but I bet it was carried more than used.

Wildcat
October 01, 2014, 19:19
Depends on what you want to do with it, I suppose.

A couple of years back, I bought a DAO M64 with the idea that it would be a donor K-frame for a project. I decided to shoot it a bit before tampering with it. The little 64 turned out to be quite a shooter so I decided to keep it as is and find another gun to use for the project.

Probably worth the gamble.

Nomad, 2nd
October 01, 2014, 19:59
Bout what I paid for mine (Not DAO)

Bout what J&G sold them for recently.

Good work gun for around he farm, etc.

Timber Wolf
October 03, 2014, 18:35
I bought an SA/DA SB 64 years ago for around $250 at a Pawn Shop. Lightly used Police trade in. I think State University Police from the conservative etched markings. It is favorite .38 Special and will go to my daughter when she gets a little bigger. I also have a sweet, sweet Model 14 laid back for her, and a 3913. In addition to the S&Ws, she will get a 20 ga 870 Youth, 20 ga 1100 Featherweight, Marlin 336 30-30 with Youth stock and special little Leopold Alaskan Scope. Also a Romanian SAR-2 I bought from Kev with several mags and a couple of cases of 5.45X39. She should be well healed unless she pisses me off and then Dad will sell it all.:uhoh:

randyj
October 19, 2014, 13:50
I've a 3inch mod.65 RB bobbed the hammer, so not a police trade in DAO GUN. A set of factory smith finger groove combat stocks and she clears any pair of jean pockets, some action work and lighter springs and will out shoot me. although a .357 I keep her stoked with the old FBI LOAD 158GR LSWHP+P
shes the real deal, no frills,'cept the mag-na-port barrel.

RJ