PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4

nyalaman
September 27, 2014, 14:42
Does anyone have a new gen 4? Any feedback? I'm considering. Pro's /con's?

BiGB808
September 27, 2014, 16:04
It works .its a g19. I use i think medium back strap.

It works, thats all the feed back i have.

spider991
September 27, 2014, 19:33
Gen4 model 21 everyday, hundreds of rounds down range....might be bout the best full size carry gun ever made...not kidding.:smile:

DYNOMIKE
September 27, 2014, 20:22
I have 3 Gen 4 GLOCKS, a 34, 35, and a 21..
They all ROCK, the 21 & 34 have been seeing LOTS of range time....

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373370

tac-40
September 27, 2014, 22:57
Just swapped out my Gen 2 M21 for a brand new Gen 4 M21 as my new duty pistol. Didn't like it at first because the angle and size of the grip were "off". After putting several hundred rounds down range, I really like it now.

I did purchase my Gen 2 though. I got it new back in 1994 and carried it to work every day. Didn't want to get rid of and old friend. Plus, when I retire next year, I get to keep the brand new Gen 4. Best of both worlds.

DYNOMIKE
September 27, 2014, 23:07
The grip was kina weird for me at first too Mike..
But the more I shoot it the more I like it, IMO they are great guns...

Did you experiment with the back straps any?

paulb2112
September 28, 2014, 10:45
I prefer the gen. 3 mag release myself.

Guy-epic
September 28, 2014, 11:06
I agree about the mag release I want to get a extended one as a friend did and I love it much better

DYNOMIKE
September 28, 2014, 13:26
I put a ZEV mag release on mine, I like it..

VALMET
September 29, 2014, 17:06
Grip stippling is a bit aggressive IMO after 100-200 rounds in on outing, lots of BTF issues although those have largely been ironed-out. Finish issues as of late with users reporting abnormal carry wear that well carried Glocks that are years old don't have. A friend of mine has a Gen4 Glock 35 that he picked up in the spring, and there is already visible wear around the sharp edges. Lot of it has to do with Glock going away from the tenifer finishing process. It should be noted that I think some of these issues aren't exclusively Gen4 but rather post-2012 mfg'd guns. I've owned 2 Gen4 Glocks- sold both of them (but wouldn't ever part with my other 5, Gen2 and Gen3).

tac-40
September 30, 2014, 13:56
Did you experiment with the back straps any?

Did, really play with them. Kept the small ones on and seem to like the feel. Kind of reminds me of my 1911 straight back.

VALMET, Glock did not get away from the hardening process, they just changed to a process that could be done here in the States. Tennifer is a trademarked process and has some nasty by products. As a result, the Tennifer process cannot be used in the US. The wear marks you see are not from the hardening process since it does not change the color of the metal. The wear is from the finish which is similar to a parkerizing. As most holsters now are made from polymers and not leather, the surface wear on a pistol is enhanced. Even the synthetic lined holster have issues with surface wear.

VALMET
September 30, 2014, 15:49
Regardless- the finish isn't what it used to be. IMO Glocks QC has dipped slightly and I wouldn't buy a post-2011/12 mfg'd Glock. Know lots of ppl who own and like the current mfg'd ones but I'm sticking with the older, pre-MIM extractor, tenifer Glocks. YMMV.

tac-40
October 01, 2014, 11:10
While I purchased my old Gen 2 G21, I did so because it had been a companion of mine for 20 years.

The use of MIN parts has been around for a long time. Avoiding weapons without it limits your choices. Ruger and S&W have been using that process for years.

DYNOMIKE
October 01, 2014, 12:18
New GLOCKS Old GLOCKS they are all great..
Working in a shop that sells hundreds of GLOCKS and not having any issues at all with them makes me think the NEW vs OLD issues (alleged) are nothing at all to worry about...

But then again some people like manual roll up windows, gas grills, and bullpups..
What can be said there is no accounting for taste, nothing will ever please everyone, and it's always good to have options.. :shades:

tac-40
October 01, 2014, 19:08
But then again some people like manual roll up windows, gas grills, and bullpups.

Don't forget brightly colored rifles with op art cammo patterns.

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/44178-2/camo_RFB_0241.jpg

DYNOMIKE
October 01, 2014, 19:21
Ya know what's messed up Mike???

While I wouldn't own a BullPoop ifya GAVE it to me..
I could see myself owning an FAL with that pattern onit.. :p

tac-40
October 02, 2014, 17:05
Seems to me IIRC, that there WAS a FAL with that pattern onnit!! Seem to remember a purple too, but after all I am getting old.:rofl::whistling::biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
October 02, 2014, 18:22
Seems to me IIRC, that there WAS a FAL with that pattern onnit!! Seem to remember a purple too, but after all I am getting old.:rofl::whistling::biggrin:

Actually there IS an FAL w/a similar pattern and yes there WAS a 1911 but it was murdered.. :]

nightschneider
October 03, 2014, 12:37
I've currently got two Gen4 19's, and recently sold a Gen4 31.

I like the Gen4; they work well, and the medium backstrap w/ beavertail is perfect for my hand. I prefer the magazine release to the Gen3, as well.

I have put right around 4500 rounds through the three Gen4's I have, and have not had a single malfunction.

metalreptile
October 04, 2014, 15:43
Regardless- the finish isn't what it used to be. IMO Glocks QC has dipped slightly and I wouldn't buy a post-2011/12 mfg'd Glock. Know lots of ppl who own and like the current mfg'd ones but I'm sticking with the older, pre-MIM extractor, tenifer Glocks. YMMV.

+1 :beer:

spider991
October 06, 2014, 09:59
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/44178-2/camo_RFB_0241.jpg[/QUOTE]

ok, i may have issues but i like that........ok, there i said it, i like that:facepalm::biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
October 06, 2014, 18:52
I've currently got two Gen4 19's, and recently sold a Gen4 31.

I like the Gen4; they work well, and the medium backstrap w/ beavertail is perfect for my hand. I prefer the magazine release to the Gen3, as well.

I have put right around 4500 rounds through the three Gen4's I have, and have not had a single malfunction.

Hey Mang!! :beer:
Howz things?? Aint seen ya posting much?

Nomad, 2nd
October 08, 2014, 06:49
Do not like.

l1a1mike
October 09, 2014, 17:35
im a huge glock fan!!
gen 3 19 black frame nickel boron slide
gen 3 23 black and flat dark earth
gen 3 19 black
gen 4 22 black
any ways... i love the gen 4's...
feel great in hand...
easy to completely disassemble...like all
great carry weapon...

jmo!!!

hagar
October 10, 2014, 09:29
Don't forget brightly colored rifles with op art cammo patterns.

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/44178-2/camo_RFB_0241.jpg

What is that Mike? Looks like a 308 caliber to me.

Have not shot the Gen 4 Glocks, but I don't like the looks and I hear they throw brass at your head. I did pick up a Gen 3 G33 from a guy recently for $400, and it came with 270 rounds of 357 Sig factory ammo, original box and paperwork, plus nitesites. Needed it like a hole in the head, but too good to pass up!

AR04
October 16, 2014, 03:32

Have not shot the Gen 4 Glocks, but I don't like the looks and I hear they throw brass at your head. I did pick up a Gen 3 G33 from a guy recently for $400, and it came with 270 rounds of 357 Sig factory ammo, original box and paperwork, plus nitesites. Needed it like a hole in the head, but too good to pass up!
I have several gen 3&4 Glocks. I much prefer the Gen 4 ergonomics.Only problem ever was Gen 4 17. Brass to face with strong ammo, weak ammo barely dribbled out of the gun, rolled down my arm, sometimes stuck at my elbow. All most current ejector, extractor, etc... I bought adaptor ring so I run Gen 3 spring in Gen 4 gun. All good now.

DYNOMIKE
October 16, 2014, 09:23

I know you weren't asking me but it's a Kel-Tec RFB and is indeed in .308..
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rfb/rifle/

homelandprotector
October 17, 2014, 10:33
I know you weren't asking me but it's a Kel-Tec RFB and is indeed in .308..
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rfb/rifle/
Uses Fal mags. :love::cool::headbang:

moonbat60
October 20, 2014, 18:21
I shot a Glock 17 / 9mm today. Went through 1 box of Federal ammo, and I was surprised a little about the accuracy and the handling.

Trigger wasn't too bad either.

I don't know if I will ever adopt one, because I already got three 9mm guns in my inventory.

It was a Gen. 4, btw.

Yard Sale
October 21, 2014, 15:38
Got a gen 4, it has the worst trigger of any of my Glocks. I do like the mag release for competition and the backstrap helps a little bit with ergos for my high grip. Grip texture also helps my weak hand keep hold of it.

Gen 3s have better triggers and are fine for competition and carry.

gaijinsamurai
October 22, 2014, 14:00
I've owned a Gen. 4 G19 for about a year and a half, and in all honesty, I really don't notice much of a difference between it and my Gen 2 & 3 Glocks, when it comes to shooting.

Fn/form
October 26, 2014, 14:17
I was an early adapter of Gen4, started with G22. Definitely softer recoil. Never failed to shoot, but I did have the Recoil Spring Assembly (RSA) disassemble itself upon removal of slide during the first several hundred rounds. No problems after replacement with updated RSA.

I'm into Gen4 G17s now. Not a single bobble out of my two. No extraction problems, but I have a few Apex extractors+appropriate springs and bearings in the spares box.

Gen4s are no exception to the advantages of simple operation, many and varied quality OEM/aftermarket parts, few tools required to do all work yourself.

I prefer the Vickers/Tango Down parts and front sight choice that puts it POA/POI at around 50yds. Usually in the .220 height range.

nyalaman
November 08, 2014, 13:37
Thanks for all the feedback!

nyalaman
November 08, 2014, 14:03
Thanks for all the feedback!