PDA

View Full Version : So is there much of a demand for the M13 these days?

Retired Bum
September 25, 2014, 14:30
I was digging through my gun safe yesterday evening looking for my old S&W Victory Model when I found a revolver that I haven't had out of the safe in years and years. It is a S&W Model 13-1 .357 Magnum M&P with the three inch heavy barrel, round butt, and blue finish with the original grips. I'd rate it about 95 percent. No box or paper work.

According to my records I bought this revolver used at a LGS almost 15 years ago for $250. I honestly have no use for it as I have a lovely Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum with the four inch barrel and much prefer it.

The Model 13 was produced by S&W as an issue revolver for the FBI circa 1979 and was the last revolver adopted by the bureau. So is there much of a demand for a piece like this these days? Any opinions on a price that isn't sky high? I am getting to the point where I feel it is in my best interests to start thinning out my collection and the Model 13 would be #1 on the list to go.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

CG&L
September 25, 2014, 15:32
There would be a lot of interest in a Model 13 on the Smith and Wesson forum. Those guys are S&W fanatics and are well acquainted with the M13
It would sell faster than listing on GB and you will get a good price

As usual, good pics and a good description are needed.

douglas
September 25, 2014, 15:37
I wouldn't give it away, that's for sure. Lets see now, 3 inch barrel , that's a big draw right there. Probably has a pinned barrel. Plus no lock on the frame. Round butt, yep another mark in the plus column. That's about as fine as you can get for a CCW revolver . They don't made them that way anymore. Post up a few pictures over on one of the Smith and Wesson forums and watch the results pour in.
Most used Smith and Wesson K-frames are going around $450-$550 depending on condition around here where I live. Add $175-$250 for that 3 inch barrel and you have a ball park figure.
My brother bought a M13 about 20 years ago with a 4 inch barrel to use while he was in a police academy. It shot as well as my issued Model 66 at normal pistol ranges. It hit POA using 158 grains.

SPEEDGUNNER
September 25, 2014, 21:42
I would be interested. Here, or over at S&W. You have no contact ability...

kev
September 25, 2014, 22:00
3"ers are hot right now. I myself keep up a constant search looking for a 3" K frame,.......checking GB daily. Finding a decent deal on one is my top priority right now. You can throw it on GB tonight and I guarantee I'll bid it up to $400(I am if nothing else CHEAP)and I won't come anywhere near winning it. I've been looking more specifically for a stainless model in either .38 or .357(M64 or M65)and have not found anything other then the most beat to crap police trade-in anywhere close to $500. A nice 13 will bring that easily.

I've bought ten 4" M64's in the last year and still can't stand not having a 3". 3" is the perfect length for a non-duty revolver. I don't even know why they make a 2" other than the fact that 99 out of 100 buyers must be mentally challenged.

Andy the Aussie
September 26, 2014, 01:19
Ohhhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!! Truly my favourite carry revolver right there mate...!!!!!!!!

I staked my life on a 3 inch model 10 many many times... :D

Retired Bum
September 26, 2014, 14:10
So today I took the Model 13 to my favorite LGS and put it on consignment. I priced it at $600 and told the dealer to take $550 if it didn't sell at $600. This way the gun goes out the door legally with the Form 4473 signed by the buyer.

Before I left the shop one of the regular shop customers looked over the Model 13 and pulled out his DL and VISA card. He did not quibble about the price. The dealer told me to come back later in the day and he would have the cash for me minus his ten percent consignment fee. So I cleared $540 on the piece. It doesn't get any easier than that. I don't like doing private sales and would rather pay the consignment fee than get involved in any problems that might arise down the road. Private sales are legal in Indiana but I do it for piece of mind.

And so it goes and rather quickly at that.

The Retired One

Beryl
September 26, 2014, 16:34
Hell, I would love to have another one, but I damn sure ain't paying more than $350. I also bought the one I had for $250 about 15 years ago and I sold it in 2004 after I lost my job for around the same amount. I guess for what my top dollar is, I will never have another.

Sorry, but I think people waaay over-price S&W revolvers these days. They still make them by the thousands and, bottom line, it's still just an old, used revolver.

Retired Bum
September 26, 2014, 17:03
Beryl,

Ever hear the phrase "the price is whatever the buyer is willing to pay".

The fact is that the older S&W's in good condition do command higher prices these days. S&W is never going to make these older discontinued models again. It is the same way with the double action Colts. I am not going to give away my property to just break even. Would you?

And so it goes.

The Retired One

kev
September 26, 2014, 21:02
Beryl seems to think that Smith & Wesson still makes revolvers. I don't know,.............I probably own twenty or so and I know S&W isn't currently making anything I'd be willing to shelter today.

The point is; if they do still manufacture revolvers they're nothing at all like your M13. They've cheapened the manufacture and doubled the retail price in order to keep them profitable. If they made an M13 today it would have to retail for $1500 so getting a slightly used model for 1/3 that price is still a bargain.

Beryl
September 27, 2014, 01:23
Beryl seems to think that Smith & Wesson still makes revolvers. I don't know,.............I probably own twenty or so and I know S&W isn't currently making anything I'd be willing to shelter today.

The point is; if they do still manufacture revolvers they're nothing at all like your M13. They've cheapened the manufacture and doubled the retail price in order to keep them profitable. If they made an M13 today it would have to retail for $1500 so getting a slightly used model for 1/3 that price is still a bargain.

You could just as easily say that about the ones I bought in 2004 and before. I paid $250 also for a pinned-barrel six-inch S&W model 19 with a recessed cylinder, target trigger, trigger stop, and target hammer. It had some holster wear, but, even so, it would probably get over $600 today. At the time I bought it, a gun show dealer wouldn't give you $200 for ANY revolver unless it was a Python or some rare example of gun lore. My Mod. 19 was certainly better than the ones made the year I bought it, yet I still paid that much for it at the going rate.

My point is, people hiked up the prices of guns and ammo when Obama was elected due to a false "panic" that was started by vendors out to take advantage of the gullible. They did the same thing in 1990 and 1994 with the AWB's and the prices never recovered, even after the 94 ban died. Even when considering inflation, prices are kept high due to people who play along with the false idea that these products will suddenly disappear when a Democrat is elected. It didn't happen with Clinton and it didn't happen with Obama. We screw ourselves by playing the game and then later justify it with simplistic phrases like "It's the going rate" and " I'm not giving it away." In both cases, we just perpetuate the problem of over-pricing. Look at what happens whenever a store gets in a load of .22 ammo at a pre-panic price. A few assholes buy them up and sell them at the previously mentioned inflated prices.

Regardless, there are thousands of S&W revolvers out there because they are all over the internet for sale, not to mention gun shows and stores. If people will simply stop paying the high prices for a few months, the prices will eventually come down because the vendors can't eat the stuff. Moving inventory is what keeps a business alive, and it's time for the consumers to take back the market.

kev
September 27, 2014, 15:55
Oh,....OK. You're probably right. 0bama jacked the prices on 6-shot revolvers because evil dealers convinced everyone that they were about to be banned. I remember that now.

Retired Bum really put the screws to that guy who snapped up his consigned M13 before he could even get out of the shop. That's some hard pressure salesmanship there. He must be evil too.

Beryl
September 27, 2014, 22:27
Oh,....OK. You're probably right. 0bama jacked the prices on 6-shot revolvers because evil dealers convinced everyone that they were about to be banned. I remember that now.

Retired Bum really put the screws to that guy who snapped up his consigned M13 before he could even get out of the shop. That's some hard pressure salesmanship there. He must be evil too.

You seem to have missed my point again. Obama didn't do shit. He did what his kind does. People who try to create false panics and those who fall for them are the ones who are to blame. If RB wants to sell his pistol for $1000+, that's his prerogative, but the dumbass who paid for it is the one who is included in the group I mentioned.

Again, stop paying the prices and they will go down. As long as people keep paying $.75 to $1.00 for 7.62N surplus, it will be that price. Don't pay it, prices come down. It's simple economics.

Timber Wolf
September 28, 2014, 07:05
We are our own worst enemy when it comes to prices. Especially the guys over on the S&W forum. They will drive prices up in a heart beat. I like old wheelguns as much as the next guy but refuse to pay the "going rate" for them these days. I am not paying over $500 for anything, guess I have bought my last wheelie. A nice 3" M13 is a fine piece but my 3 1/16" SP101 fills a similar niche and is a better gun.:whistling:

kev
September 28, 2014, 09:25
OK, I'll play. I'll refuse to pay more than $0.20/rd for .308 surplus. While I'm at it I'll also refuse to pay more than $1.50/gal for gasoline. I'll just wait for the prices to come down as we all know they must. Simple economics.

Bet I'll eventually have to walk to the range to not shoot the ammo I don't have.

In reality, the price of just about everything has doubled in the last ten years. Disregard the politically motivated con of 2% per year annual inflation,........those numbers are doctored. There's no real reason that a used revolver that sold for $250 in 2004 shouldn't bring $500 today. It has simply held it's value,.......it's the dollar that has tanked. The revolver was worth 150gal of gas in 2004,.....it's still worth 150gal of gas today. Half an ounce of gold in '04,.....worth half an ounce of gold today.

That's what happens when the idiots in charge double the money supply(the true definition of 'inflation').

Keep in mind that the surplus ammo market has the additional factor of 'supply'. When the market was absolutely flooded with quality surplus the prices were artificially driven DOWN. $0.13/rd .308 was a FLUKE. It was not normal pricing. Normal pricing might have been double that and ten years of inflation has doubled it again. Only the last couple of pennies per round are even available to take the blame for any panic pricing.

If you want to pissed about unfair pricing, be pissed about paying $600 for a molded plastic and unrefined steel Glock that costs the manufacturer $8 in materials and $7 in CNC machine time.

justashooter
September 28, 2014, 10:44
just picked up a nearly new 67-1 for $365. a much nicer revolver, IMHO.

kev
September 28, 2014, 11:06
Great deal, but what's the barrel length? 4", right? I just picked up a nearly new 12-3 Airweight off of GB for $250. Fairly uncommon 4"(most are 2"). Sure wish it was a 3" but I'm not sure Smith ever made the Airweight in a 3". They should have.

It's the 3" barrel that drives the prices nuts. A takeoff three inch K frame barrel alone is $400-600 depending on whether it's .38, .357, stainless, blue or nickel, type of front sight(for fixed rear or adjustable sight)and taper or bull.

RB's M13 would have been a $400 revolver if it had the 4" barrel. The 3" RB is what made it a steal at $600 and why it sold so fast.

You may like the 67-1 better, but it's not a 'better' revolver,.......it's a 'different' revolver. Hard to compare a target sighted, 4" square butt .38 to a 3" RB .357. The M13 is the 'better' K frame carry gun. It all depends on what you want it for.

Retired Bum
September 28, 2014, 13:01
Looks like I stirred up a hornet's nest with my OP. Didn't mean to but then The Revolver Files was kind of dead anyway....

In 2007 I ended up selling off 25 of my handguns. Most were duplicates and naturally I kept the best one for myself. I let go twelve assorted K and J frame S&W's. And four old DA Colt's. I sold my M10 and M12 two inch round butt models for $250. Sold a very early postwar M&P five inch and a four inch M67 for the same price. Sold a five screw K38 Masterpiece for $300. And a Tokyo Police contract over run three inch medium heavy barrel M36-1 square butt for $250. A Model 60 two inch with box, tools, and papers for $300.

The Colts were a 1917 made New Service in .455 Eley with Canadian property markings, a 1927 made Army Special in 32-20 WCF, a Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police, and a 1967 made LW Cobra two inch 1st Issue .38 Spl with box. I let them all go at prices that would make a buyer today want to start looking for a time machine.

No regrets at the prices I sold them back then. I wanted to buy a new 2007 Mustang GT convertible without having to dig too deep into my savings account. Traded in my 2005 V6 Mustang coupe and got the ragtop.

But those days are over with the bargain gun prices. Same way with new automobiles. I laid out $45,000 for a new 2012 Camaro SS ragtop last year. If you want to play you have to pay. And I can't take any of it to my grave.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

nvcdl
September 25, 2015, 20:19
Smith & Wesson puts those stupid internal locks on all the new revolvers - also MIM parts. I believe that is main reason the older models are going up in price. Also most of police departments have dumped their revolvers so there is no longer a lot of surplus ones being traded in to keep prices low.

I like the old Smith & Wessons - have been on a binge buying them and old Riger Speed Sixs lately.

FUUN063
September 25, 2015, 23:18
Hmmm, that price is about right for around here. I have been selling off my Smith's and Colt's for quite some time now. It seems the right time to sell off some of the stuff, so it goes to another. Next up is a 3" nickel .32 Model 30 (IIRC) with box and papers. May list it here, who knows.

Leland
:fal:

SAFN49
September 25, 2015, 23:27
I've got an old 1905. What's it worth?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/20150925_231643_resized_zpsh0ujghmm.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/20150925_231643_resized_zpsh0ujghmm.jpg.html)

May be a M&P or Mod 10. Who knows?

357ross
September 26, 2015, 00:02
OK, I'll play. I'll refuse to pay more than $0.20/rd for .308 surplus. While I'm at it I'll also refuse to pay more than $1.50/gal for gasoline. I'll just wait for the prices to come down as we all know they must. Simple economics.

Bet I'll eventually have to walk to the range to not shoot the ammo I don't have.

In reality, the price of just about everything has doubled in the last ten years. Disregard the politically motivated con of 2% per year annual inflation,........those numbers are doctored. There's no real reason that a used revolver that sold for $250 in 2004 shouldn't bring $500 today. It has simply held it's value,.......it's the dollar that has tanked. The revolver was worth 150gal of gas in 2004,.....it's still worth 150gal of gas today. Half an ounce of gold in '04,.....worth half an ounce of gold today.

That's what happens when the idiots in charge double the money supply(the true definition of 'inflation').

Keep in mind that the surplus ammo market has the additional factor of 'supply'. When the market was absolutely flooded with quality surplus the prices were artificially driven DOWN. $0.13/rd .308 was a FLUKE. It was not normal pricing. Normal pricing might have been double that and ten years of inflation has doubled it again. Only the last couple of pennies per round are even available to take the blame for any panic pricing.

If you want to pissed about unfair pricing, be pissed about paying $600 for a molded plastic and unrefined steel Glock that costs the manufacturer $8 in materials and $7 in CNC machine time.

^^^This^^^ The value of guns has remained consistant, one still has to work as many hours to buy it as they did 40 years ago. It's our money that has dropped. Except for the genius who figured out how to make a 1000$ dollar firearm out of 20$ worth of plastic and material machining.

nvcdl
September 26, 2015, 11:56
^^^This^^^ The value of guns has remained consistant, one still has to work as many hours to buy it as they did 40 years ago. It's our money that has dropped. Except for the genius who figured out how to make a 1000$ dollar firearm out of 20$ worth of plastic and material machining.

I think that is another reason the old revolvers are going crazy in price - the polymer guns are purely utilitarian. Only reason to buy one is to carry - no real pride of ownership.

genmeagher
September 28, 2015, 22:01
I personally love S&W wheel guns. I think the 3" and 5" pistols are the best of the best; 3" for concealment and 5" for ballistics. I used to have a Model 19 Combat Masterpiece that was tough to conceal under an old couch, let alone on a guy who was 6'2" and 175 lbs (this was a while ago, mind you!).

Personally, I'd love to pick up a nice blued, round butt 3" .357 S&W for summer carry. Bob the hammer, round out the sights and you have one nice slick carry package with some 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.) rounds.

Just sayin'.

jugrunner
October 04, 2015, 14:25
here's mine ....

http://i61.tinypic.com/2qmzrr6.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2j3lniw.jpg

I'm cleaning, polishing and grinding on the sear engagement .... :wink:

actually NOT "grinding" .... I have a Power Custom sear stoning fixture .... this is my first revolver on a fixture I've used on several 1911's .... old S&W revolvers don't need any work .... I'm basically just practicing on this one ....

the Model 13 is a helluva carry gun ....

maybe I can find all the parts .... :biggrin: