PDA

View Full Version : Mini mags $7.99

yovinny
September 23, 2014, 07:50
A whole damn shelf full at Gander Mtn. With a 5 box limit.

They lasted exactly 1 day, as the evening after I got the call their were NONE left, just an empty shelf.

While I'm glad to hear the price was more in line with 'normal', I cant believe a shelf full (probably a pallet of cases) at a 5 box limit, went that fast :uhoh:

gunplumber
September 23, 2014, 08:07
I Just threw my last minimag in the trash.

RSR was selling G2s for under $30 - I bought one at the last GS for $10.

I do not like the SF G2 LED, but add a $10 300 lumen LED conversion to a standard G2 and you've got a heck of a light. Except brighter than factory and without all the confusing settings. Hey, I want 2 settings - on and off.

The minimag is so obsolete!

yovinny
September 23, 2014, 08:30
I Just threw my last minimag in the trash.

RSR was selling G2s for under $30 - I bought one at the last GS for $10.

I do not like the SF G2 LED, but add a $10 300 lumen LED conversion to a standard G2 and you've got a heck of a light. Except brighter than factory and without all the confusing settings. Hey, I want 2 settings - on and off.

The minimag is so obsolete!

I completely agree Mark, but thats for a different forum,,,,LOL :tongue:
This one here is for 22Rf's :)

gunplumber
September 23, 2014, 08:48
oh. I read it in the new posts list. Not the forum specific lists. Had I noticed, I would have realized how stupid my response was. I will now crawl back under my rock and sulk.

ftierson
September 23, 2014, 10:21
oh. I read it in the new posts list. Not the forum specific lists. Had I noticed, I would have realized how stupid my response was. I will now crawl back under my rock and sulk.

:)

Forrest

W.E.G.
September 23, 2014, 11:34
I remember when the Mini was a new item.

I was torn between switching from my 3 D-cell Maglite to the Mini.
When one of the guys from the other shift started selling leather belt-holsters for it, I finally switched.

I didn't need all the light that the 3 D-cell would give, but I will always remember when my FTO took mine and walloped a guy, and then threw him against the wall in the hallway of a "shooting gallery," only to instantly pull a Colt Python from the guy's waistband.

I always thought that big light was kind of magical that way.

I still have the Mini.
I let leaking batteries ruin the Python-finder. :sad:

I already have a lifetime supply of .22 LR ammo.
By the time I devote a day of my time to a range trip, I'm not shooting much .22 rimfire.

kev
September 23, 2014, 17:29
I found a deal earlier this year on Mini mags and even though I really didn't need them I couldn't help myself at $12 apiece. Original factory, but they're 20rders. Prefer the 30's for the AC556, but 20rders are fine for the semi. Still, at $7.99 apiece I think I would be tempted to limit out again.

c0wb0y84
September 23, 2014, 20:22
So far every response has done this.:facepalm:

kev
September 23, 2014, 21:31
Found a fair deal on four Mini mags for my range cart,..........

http://golfquestintl.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/golf-cart-mag-wheels-on-cart.jpg

Still can't beat that $7.99 price though and the limit of five even allows for the matching spare.

kev
September 23, 2014, 21:39
These ones come in complete sets,.............Mini, Standard, and Maxi.

http://shop.miniscience.com/images/medium/HSMAG.jpg

Not sure if there's a limit, but too many might interfere with your credit cards. Best to pay cash probably.

yovinny
September 24, 2014, 07:39
LOL,,,I'm sorry,,,guess I just wasted space here. :facepalm:
I found it interesting on two points and thought others here would too,,,, my bad.

Interesting, in that the $7.99 price was only about a buck, or $.01rd price increase off the pre-panic 2012 retail price of $6.97
Also thought it interesting that demand was still so damn high, it all sold out with a 5 box limit in about a day.

I got this info from a buddie that saw them stocking the shelf, bought 5 boxes and went back the next evening for more. As I also have way more than a lifetime supply of 22's in all different flavors and have had since the early 90's. In fact I've sold and given away somewhat over 5000rds of 22lr since this whole shortage/panic thing started.

And I also wouldent 'devote a day of my time to a range trip' to shoot 22's. But I guess I'm very lucky, as I need only walk outside to shoot most anything I want into the bullet trap I have in the yard. Unless I want to do some serious bench work or shoot out to 300M, then I need to travel a few hundred yards to my range.

Anyway, I'll just crawl under my own rock and keep any further observations on the crazy 22 market to myself and friends :)

Cheers, YV

W.E.G.
September 24, 2014, 08:35
As soon as Bubba's trailer collapses due to the load of "Thunderbolts" he has stashed in the bedroom, Bertha will have to get out her Mini-Mag to peer under the trailer to see if Bubba or the dog were under there.

-since Bubba and the dog started sleeping under the trailer after the bedroom got filled up with Thunderbolts.

kev
September 24, 2014, 09:29
Just funnin'. Picking on GP more than you and pouncing on c0wb0y84 for his inability to detect satire.

I haven't bought much CCI in my lifetime being more of a cheaper-is-better bulk packer since all I ever shoot is dirt, but from the old prices you listed in your last post I don't see any surprise in that stuff selling out that quickly. $0.08 per round for Mini Mag is a great price compared to the $0.10 per round dealer pricing I'm seeing on no-name foreign import crap.

I saw all this coming and laid in about 100,000rds at 1.6 cents per, so the on-again/off-again panic of the last several years hasn't been anything but entertainment to me. I still check the shelves several times a week, but in the last five years I've purchased exactly 3 bricks of bulk(at close to 'regular' prices).

I still think cheap .22LR ammo should drop back down to the 3 cent/round range but I'm probably stupid to think so. Everything from soup to gas to crowbars is at least twice the cost of a decade ago so $25-30 bulk pack is probably where it will settle. $40 for 500rds of CCI looks like a buy in that world. Frankly, I suspect GM mismarked it or blew it out as a loss-leader at that price. Wouldn't expect to see it again.

gunplumber
September 24, 2014, 09:37
I saw all this coming and laid in about 100,000rds at 1.6 cents per, so the on-again/off-again panic of the last several years hasn't been anything but entertainment to me.

Same here, although not that cheap. Bulk pack at $20/550 comes out to $0.036.

kev
September 24, 2014, 10:59
I was a heavy buyer of the Fed bulk pak as it climbed from $7.97 to about $15. About the same time I cleaned up on various types of .22LR from Natchez every time they ran case lots at $0.80/50rd. That's under $100 per 5000rd case delivered. I stuck to that plan until the prices topped $125/case but kept up the promise of dragging home 10 Fed bulk paks from every trip to Wal Mart. Kept that going until the first dry spell where ammo simply wasn't available on the shelves.

I got on the .22LR buying spree after recovering from the first primer panic and realizing that I could purchase complete, fireable .22LR for less than centerfire primers. They don't serve the same purpose of course, but once the lifetime supply of primers were stocked I switched to the .22LR. There was also some chatter around the same time predicting a per round ammo tax of anywhere from a penny to a dollar and it struck me that .22LR would never be cheaper and could possibly be priced out of reach if anything like that came to be. You can absorb a restrictive tax on a 20rd box of hunting ammo, but it gets pretty painful on bricks of plinking ammo. Buying an AM180 that could drain a 275rd drum in 11 seconds was probably THE deciding factor.

W.E.G.
September 24, 2014, 11:11
Gasoline and a box of 50 .22 LR was 77 cents in 1977.

A $65 dinner at Outback would have cost $16.34 in 1977.

yovinny
September 24, 2014, 16:00
Damn kev, 100,00rds of 22rf ? :bow:

And I thought I was bad with like 25,000
But thats been thinned down some in the last few years too, probably around 20,000 now. Thruth be told, I dont think I've shot more than 1000rds of 22rf a year in probably 20 years. Though when here and so inclined, my son and his girlfriend seem able to shoot that much in a day.

Cheers, YV

kev
September 24, 2014, 16:18
I remember shooting it up in huge volume. Growing up as wild kids with rifles we'd each take a full brick out every day during the summer and not come home until it was gone. Haven't shot like that in 35yrs, but I'm expecting to enter my second childhood any day now and with the 'toys' I have now it'll likely be a full case a day. Should be good times.

I've shot almost none of that 100k and I've sold not a one, but I have lost 20-30 bricks due to a plumbing failure in my storage area. Well, not really lost it,........I know where it is,........but it may or may not be usable. It didn't get submerged but the packaging wicked up water from the wet carpet and some of the rounds are fuzzy. The jury's still out on that lot but it won't be feeding the MG's or suppressors.

W.E.G.
September 24, 2014, 17:22
I know where it is,........but it may or may not be usable. It didn't get submerged but the packaging wicked up water from the wet carpet and some of the rounds are fuzzy. The jury's still out on that lot.

I took a gamble on some ammo that encountered the same conditions last November.

Buddy of mine had a flood in his basement.

Showed up at my house with a bunch of damp boxes of Black Hills 77-grain 5.56.

He wanted to know if I could "sell it on the internet" for him. http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/smiley_abused.gif

I told him I'd give him 40 cents per round for it.

I shot it all season, and ended up legging-out at Perry with that stuff.

I'd say I did OK. :devil:

SAFN49
September 24, 2014, 20:20
I remember shooting it up in huge volume. Growing up as wild kids with rifles we'd each take a full brick out every day during the summer and not come home until it was gone. Haven't shot like that in 35yrs, but I'm expecting to enter my second childhood any day now and with the 'toys' I have now it'll likely be a full case a day. Should be good times.

This^^^^^

We'd each burn through a brick a day. Even though I am in my second childhood, and I keep thinking that I'm going to take out one of the FAL/22/insert rifle here, and do mag dumps, it just doesn't appeal/happen anymore. When I take them out, I would now rather watch/teach others the joys of a mag dump and see the smile on their face.

yovinny
September 25, 2014, 07:31
I have lost 20-30 bricks due to a plumbing failure in my storage area. Well, not really lost it,........I know where it is,........but it may or may not be usable. It didn't get submerged but the packaging wicked up water from the wet carpet and some of the rounds are fuzzy. The jury's still out on that lot but it won't be feeding the MG's or suppressors.

OUCH, that hurts.
I'm surprised weg did'nt call you 'bubba' :tongue:

Been fortunate there, never lost any ammo to wet conditions, but I've spent lots of effort and $$ to maintain that over the years.
I dont think I have any stored ammo that isent in good condition, gasketed ammo cans anymore, in sound dry storage. The 22's and a few others are in big 40mm ones, though most anything else is in 50cal's. Those big cans are a major pita to move anywhere, though I'm stating here and now, this latest move to KY is my LAST :wink:
(well, at least untill I can retire, then maybe somewhere warm and close or on salt water)

Cheers, YV