PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Q's

MAINER
September 17, 2014, 07:49
I think everyone has one of these except me. I'm looking at a possible acquisition and could use some insight from my fellow members knowledgeable about such.

1st is Mags, recommendations would be appreciated, especially the ones to avoid. Thinking of having at least 5 standard 10 rounder's. Not looking for high-cap but I might pick one up down the road.

2nd is a scope base, the Rifle has no sights, not sure if it will come with a scope base or not at this time. Likely mount a Burris 2-7x 40 on it.

Thank you for your time and consideration. :)

nwobhm
September 17, 2014, 07:56
Stick with all Ruger mags. They even make a 25 rounder now. The BX-25.

TheRussian
September 17, 2014, 08:02
Everybody should own a 10-22
2nd on the BX25s
nodakspud makes some awesome sights for it as well.

gunplumber
September 17, 2014, 09:06
I don't care for "high cap" mags.

A nice scope mount is the EGW. The TacSol is fine as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/263151/egw-1-piece-picatinny-style-base-ruger-10-22-matte

SAFN49
September 17, 2014, 09:43
Stay away from any mags that are all plastic, i.e. plastic feed lips. Stick with Ruger mags.

The rifles come with a factory scope base and it works perfectly fine. I would not waste money on an aftermarket base.

gunplumber
September 17, 2014, 09:52
the Ruger factory scope rail is weaver, and for both 1" and 7/8". It's an extrusion and while functional, it is not of the same quality as the machined picatinny.

yovinny
September 17, 2014, 10:45
Personally,,, I'd try to find an older used one.

I bought another pair of new production plastic stocked ones last year ($209.ea IIRC) and while they seem to be perfectly fine, the plastic trigger housing just completely turns me off :redface:
And I'm NOT payin the cost of a complete rifle for an aftermarket metal one :o

Since they seem readily available again and not 'scarce asking crazy money', I would think older ones might be easier to find again also.

I have 4 scoped ones and while I've never had any issue with the cheap extruded alum scope mount they come with, I can see wanting a nicer piece if your building something 'match quality'.

My .02
Cheers, YV

SAFN49
September 17, 2014, 11:00
I have 4 scoped ones and while I've never had any issue with the cheap extruded alum scope mount they come with, I can see wanting a nicer piece if your building something 'match quality'.

I have used the factory mounts on several 10/22's over the last 30 + years and never had any issues with them while using 4x32 and 3x9x40 scopes. I don't use the scopes as carry handles though.

Now if I were building a 10/22 for 300 yard matches, I would want a scope base that had some elevation adjustment built in. :biggrin:

Bruce Allen
September 17, 2014, 12:04
I would suggest you get a Marlin 795 instead.
The action is based on the proven Model 60 design.

I bought one for my grand daughter after researching all top brand rifles.
They are more accurate out of the box than the Ruger, come with a synthetic stock and are less expensive.
10 round single stack magazines come standard.

We got 2 Promag 25 round magazines and they are flawless.

I liked the rifle so much I bought another one for me.

My grand daughter is 14 yoa and just loves hers.

Guy-epic
September 17, 2014, 12:08
Stick with Ruger parts and all will be well. I have a butler creek I think 30 rounder in a box I shot it once. I think Ruger makes a ten tons mag that's holds three mags together. It looked nice I want one to try

TheRussian
September 17, 2014, 13:39
The sights http://www.nodakspud.com/index.htm

GaryH
September 17, 2014, 14:05
Pawn shop find, added the scope
http://www.mysticspeed.com/asstpics/1022sc.jpg

I dont like the extended mag release or the plastic trigger so I went and found an older one.

Buy ammo first, .22 is still kind of hard to find. :whiskey:

Oh, I got some cheap 2 piece scope mounts from walmart. Came loose once but work fine now.

Guy-epic
September 17, 2014, 14:36
The sights http://www.nodakspud.com/index.htm

Man I am not into the entire tacticool thing but that is a great set up

TheRussian
September 17, 2014, 14:38
Man I am not into the entire tacticool thing but that is a great set up

Thanks! I thought it was nice myself, longer sight radius, and a nice solid picatinny rail. My son will be getting this for his 10-22 for Christmas :D

Guy-epic
September 17, 2014, 14:41
Thanks! I thought it was nice myself, longer sight radius, and a nice solid picatinny rail. My son will be getting this for his 10-22 for Christmas :D

Ya I am telling my wife it's for my son as well. Along with the three mags that connect together, and some nice 3x glass hmm what glass isn't over the top?

yovinny
September 17, 2014, 14:43
I have used the factory mounts on several 10/22's over the last 30 + years and never had any issues with them while using 4x32 and 3x9x40 scopes. I don't use the scopes as carry handles though.

Now if I were building a 10/22 for 300 yard matches, I would want a scope base that had some elevation adjustment built in. :biggrin:

AHHH,,,Isent that about exactly what I said :confused: :facepalm:

SAFN49
September 17, 2014, 15:17
AHHH,,,Isent that about exactly what I said :confused: :facepalm:

The 300 yard match 10/22 was in reference to another post about shooting 10/22's at 300 yards. It was tongue in cheek.

MAINER
September 17, 2014, 17:36
Appreciate all the info gentlemen! Ruger mags it is, not really interested in high-caps with this rifle, extra mags will do fine.

Had intended to use the mount that came with the rifle if it did, but I don't like crappy parts so guess I'll be looking at the EGW offering.

Not the usual 10/22, comes with a 20" barrel and supposedly a factory "target trigger". Made by Ruger for Accusport, and a bit of a heavy sucker at 7 1/2 lbs without sights.

I'm familiar with the Marlin M60 and agree it's a lot of 22 for the money. A friend had a Glenfield that I'm pretty sure was the same rifle. He put tons of ammo thru that rifle and it only malfunctioned because he was a lazy dog when it came to cleaning.

I bought this one because it has a rubber Butt pad to help absorb recoil. :whistling:

Bruce Allen
September 17, 2014, 17:53
...Now if I were building a 10/22 for 300 yard matches, I would want a scope base that had some elevation adjustment built in. :biggrin:
I got the reference...:wink:

MK ULTRA
September 18, 2014, 04:16
Appreciate all the info gentlemen! Ruger mags it is, not really interested in high-caps with this rifle, extra mags will do fine.

Had intended to use the mount that came with the rifle if it did, but I don't like crappy parts so guess I'll be looking at the EGW offering.

Not the usual 10/22, comes with a 20" barrel and supposedly a factory "target trigger". Made by Ruger for Accusport, and a bit of a heavy sucker at 7 1/2 lbs without sights.

I'm familiar with the Marlin M60 and agree it's a lot of 22 for the money. A friend had a Glenfield that I'm pretty sure was the same rifle. He put tons of ammo thru that rifle and it only malfunctioned because he was a lazy dog when it came to cleaning.

I bought this one because it has a rubber Butt pad to help absorb recoil. :whistling:

I like the 1022 better than the 60. The 60 is a $100 rifle.

I'm looking for a 10 22 like the one above because of the heavy barrel. I wouldn't worry about that rubber butt bad. They don't have any recoil.

W.E.G.
September 18, 2014, 06:27
I got all my "hi-cap" 10/22 mags before Ruger started selling mags with greater than 10-round capacity.

At that time, everything (Butler Creek, etc. -- anything with plastic mag-lips) was junk except the Tactical Innovations STEEL-LIPPED mags.
See http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25trade-advanced-composite-adjustable-steel-lip-magazine-for-rugerreg-1022reg-p-532.html

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Ruger%2010-22/tacticalinnovationsmagazines.jpg

I assume the Ruger mags are fine.

The Tactical innovations mags are still excellent too.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Ruger%2010-22/Ruger10-22-1.jpg

TheRussian
September 18, 2014, 08:56
Ya I am telling my wife it's for my son as well. Along with the three mags that connect together, and some nice 3x glass hmm what glass isn't over the top?

LOL!!! Believe it or not it really is for my (almost 13 year old) son, I have sooo many other guns to shoot :shades:

gunplumber
September 18, 2014, 09:02
I got the reference...:wink:

like the b in subtle, it was pretty funny.

So here's my 10/22 pattern.

These are TacSol Aluminum barrels. they are not as accurate as my Lothar Walther match barrels. They also weigh as complete rifles, less than the steel match barrel.

Scopes are Leupold 2x7 rimfires

I like the factory 10 round mag. I think the "banana clip" is tacky and changes the whole balance and dynamic of the rifle.

I used to collect pre-warning Ruger 10/22s. Had about 20 of them. My tastes changed, but the gun is still one of my favorites.

I also have a CZ that takes a 5 rd mag, but I just like the Ruger better. I use the CZ for Collibris, which won't cycle in the Ruger.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/tmgruger1022-01.jpg

K. Funk
September 18, 2014, 11:27
I picked up a rather junky 10/22 at auction, put a Shaw heavy barrel with a threaded muzzle, a Boyd's .920 channel laminated stock on it with a Timney trigger pack. Now I can hit the 2-1/2" spinner target at 100yds in near silence with the TAC 65 suppressor on. I really like it.

krf

Guy-epic
September 18, 2014, 11:43
Mark i actually agree but not only tacky IMO. I also learned to shoot while standing with my left hand under the magazine area flat palmed with hand firmly grasping stock. This putd your elbow on your body and angled the left hand to steady the rifle. One magazine is emty hand is in place to swap it out

Bruce Allen
September 18, 2014, 20:40
I like the 1022 better than the 60. The 60 is a $100 rifle...
The Marlin 795 is not a Mod 60, but has the base Model 60 action.
I looked for and found review after review for the 795 and found very, very few negative comments and found a lot of video's on Youtube also.
One real plus is the bolt locks back when the mag is empty.
The 10-22 does not from the factory.
The rifle weighs 4.5 lbs and has built in holes in the stock to mount a sling.

You guys know what you want but don't knock the Marlin until you have tried it.

Two videos about the 795. The first compares to the 10-22.
Everyone speaks to the out of the box accuracy. It beats the Ruger all day long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLs9V25Q-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUb2_sWorE

nearmisses
September 19, 2014, 17:53
My girlfriend got one a few months back in time for summer, plastic stocked one. Didn't much matter as she's only 4'11" and it didn't fit anyway. I found her a stock that had an M16 type collapsing stock so we both could shoot it.
Has the 25rd mag, jams sometimes and we got a Butler Creek and it jams to, worse! Stick with the 10 rd. Ruger, never had an issue with one of those. Picture included.

About the Md 60 or it's variants, They have a stamped sheet metal set of guts that has it's own share of ware issues. The nylon block in the back breaks and they use C-clips so small you have to find a magnifier to disassemble one. God help you if you loose one and need to find it in the cleaning tank filter on a complete teardown. A gazillion parts compared to the 10-22. Simplicity it's not. Accurate yes, but a nightmare for most do it yourselfers.

Ruger is a rugged rifle and accurate enough for whatever use except match work. The plastic trigger block kind of sucks nowadays but everyone has gone plastic somewhere to cut costs. Plenty of goodies available for the 10-22, pages in the Brownell's catalog. I've seen a guy that specializes in them make them look like a Tommy Gun, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, even an M14! Check Gunbroker sometime for examples.

I wish I had never sold mine back in the early 70's when they still came with Walnut stocks and metal guts. I remember complaining about the Alloy trigger housing not being steel in those days. A great rifle, everyone in America should have one.

gunplumber
September 19, 2014, 17:56
I've seen a guy that specializes in them make them look like a Tommy Gun, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, even an M14! Check Gunbroker sometime for examples.

I saw his M1 carbine - sweet!

SAFN49
September 19, 2014, 18:29

You should also get one of these muzzle brakes to help with the recoil and muzzle rise. ;)

Double muzzle brake for Ruger 10/22 rifles. Easy to install and reduces muzzle rise and recoil from both slots and holes. Slips on around your original front sight post and tightens in place. Requires no gunsmithing and retains your original front sight post. Blue steel and not made by Ruger. Will not fit heavy barrels, target barrels, or International stocked versions. .065 inside diameter. This is a muzzle brake, NOT a flash hider. New in package.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/RGR-041

MAINER
September 19, 2014, 19:15
Thanks, but don't think it would work on my rifle. No front sight, actually there's no rear sight either. Hopefully there are some holes drilled and tapped in the receiver to mount a scope base to. It does come with sling swivels howsomever. I won't get tired carrying the rifle from the truck to the shooting bench. :shades:. Lightweight Varmit/Target barrel longer and larger in diameter than the standard.
I think the added weight should help to keep recoil and muzzle rise down a bit, especially with those vicious CCI Minimags. That is, if they become available for sale again at a price where you don't have to take out a second mortgage on the Ranch. :facepalm:

I've noticed there doesn't seem to be any shortage of accoutrements available for this rifle. :uhoh:

Nearly as wild as AR's.

SAFN49
September 19, 2014, 20:18
I have been eyeballin the IWD

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWD1022.html

Jaxxas
September 19, 2014, 21:10
I have been eyeballin the IWD

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWD1022.html

While I own several and love Matt's stocks, I have a friend who had one of his SG2000's a few years back and he had nothing but problems with it. The trigger linkage actually didn't work when he got it and Ironwood suggested several wescog mods. Not what I would expect for the money plus a donor rifle, but maybe the later models have improved.

AZ Dave
September 19, 2014, 22:16
Saw a guy at the range with a bx-25 mag and it wouldn't feed for crap! My Butler creek mag worked perfectly as always. I have the plastic Hotlips mags and their steel lips mags and they all work without issues. I have 1 that has over 5000 rounds through it with zero issues.

Bruce Allen
September 19, 2014, 23:20
About the Md 60 or it's variants, They have a stamped sheet metal set of guts that has it's own share of ware issues. The nylon block in the back breaks and they use C-clips so small you have to find a magnifier to disassemble one. God help you if you loose one and need to find it in the cleaning tank filter on a complete teardown. A gazillion parts compared to the 10-22. Simplicity it's not. Accurate yes, but a nightmare for most do it yourselfers.
Can you provide any links about the "ware issues"?
As far as the "nylon block" do you mean the recoil buffer?
I did an extensive search and found several instances of the buffer breaking in Model 60's that were 20 years old or older.

Why would you ever tear down the trigger group of any rifle that is so easy to clean with spray cleaner?

nearmisses
September 20, 2014, 01:09
Can you provide any links about the "ware issues"?
As far as the "nylon block" do you mean the recoil buffer?
I did an extensive search and found several instances of the buffer breaking in Model 60's that were 20 years old or older.

Why would you ever tear down the trigger group of any rifle that is so easy to clean with spray cleaner?

I fixed at least 4 with broken buffers in 20yr.s smithing and more were so dirty your spray cleaner does nada. Biggest problem with the 60 is the customer tinkering with it and not knowing how to reassemble it. As far as other facts and where to find them. I can't help you. I'm sure the factory gunsmiths replaced a bunch. Spray cleaners are for crap. First off when a firearm is shipped it has an oil coating on it from the factory. In time, add dirt to it & it becomes crud, most people cannot disassemble their guns completely and do a through cleaning.

I used to get a few rifles or shotguns opening day each year with "my gun misfired and I missed a big one..." fill in the blank. Remington 700, 760 and 742's, BAR sporting rifles, Rem 1100/870's, Win 1200 and 1300 you name it! Every popular firearm at some time, if it is heavily used/abused and not maintained very well, will screw up. You can't even get that crud off without a through disassembly of all parts, pins springs etc. Sometimes even after cleaning with a wire brush in a cleaning tank you'll still have to put a part to the wire wheel and clean it up entirely. You see a lot of dirty laundry in gun work doing it every day. Lightly oil and reassemble, I like Tri-Flow, never had a problem with it in over 36 years of use, no rusting with little re-spraying. Used in the Florida Key's and anything even Stainless guns rust there!

About the only thing I ever did to customers 10-22's is clean them thoroughly as they had started to jam or not pull a case out as the extractors were so crudded up they didn't move. They are a trouble free weapon and easy to strip and re-assemble.

Not knocking your Md. 60, a great gun price wise and if you clean all the factory gunk off and re-oil will work for a long time and a nylon buffer block isn't to bad $ wise. Buy one and keep it around for if ever. Like firing pins on DSA Fal's

nearmisses
September 20, 2014, 01:21

That's one very nice 10-22! I love their Sporter stock style, nicely checkered and love that buttpad! It won't go skating on you when set down on a slick floor.
You have a winner there, enjoy!

RetiredNSmilin308
September 20, 2014, 02:33
I used a friends 10/22 and she loves the thing that holds 3 Ruger mags 120 degrees apart from each other.

However, when I shot it, I found having to swap out the mags over and over again to be tiresome. Whenever I got "in the rhythm" I had to swap mags. The 25 rounders made it nice to not have to do that.

Iguess I am luck. I still have my model 60 from when I was 15 years old. I got it on my birthday when I turned 15 on Sept 27, 1970.

It was nice to know I have one of the good all steel ones.

Thank you

RetiredNSmilin308
September 20, 2014, 02:46
IMHO...the almost perfect 22 rifle is the Remmy 550-1

I have three and they disassemble very easily and no matter how much crud was on the used ones I bought, I cleaned them up really nice and easily.

They are semiauto and fire CB caps, shorts, longs and LR ALL IN SEMIAUTO! You can even mix and match in the tube. They will all fire and cycle.

Something called a "floating chamber"

SAFN49
September 20, 2014, 06:50
I've noticed there doesn't seem to be any shortage of accoutrements available for this rifle. :uhoh:

Nearly as wild as AR's.

This one has been for sale for a while. I think a muzzle brake like that would look good on yours and tame the blast from the mini-mags

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=442517897http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/Ruger1022_zps0b44a045.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/Ruger1022_zps0b44a045.jpg.html)

partisan50
September 20, 2014, 08:52
Here's one of my 10-22s, a SBR...

http://i61.tinypic.com/28iq34w.jpg

TheRussian
September 20, 2014, 11:58
This one has been for sale for a while. I think a muzzle brake like that would look good on yours and tame the blast from the mini-mags

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=442517897http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/Ruger1022_zps0b44a045.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/Ruger1022_zps0b44a045.jpg.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/MajorPrivate/new/roflchoppa.gif

Bruce Allen
September 21, 2014, 12:26
One last thing and I am going to finish on this thread:
Ruger has sold about 6 million 10-22's.
Marlin has sold over 11 million Model 60's and it's variants.

Don't get me wrong, I am not badmouthing a 10-22.
I just think out of the box the Marlin 795 is a better rifle.

If you are going to engage at 300 yards in a battle a highly modified Ruger is probably the way you will want to go.. ;)

SAFN49
September 21, 2014, 17:05
One last thing and I am going to finish on this thread:
Ruger has sold about 6 million 10-22's.
Marlin has sold over 11 million Model 60's and it's variants.

Don't get me wrong, I am not badmouthing a 10-22.
I just think out of the box the Marlin 795 is a better rifle.

If you are going to engage at 300 yards in a battle a highly modified Ruger is probably the way you will want to go.. ;)

You have to remember when K Mart was selling Model 60's they were half the price of a Ruger 10/22. When they ran the 60's sale you could get one for < $60.
I also think the Model 60 with the micro groove bore is more accurate. :smile:

mister2
September 21, 2014, 17:50
2nd is a scope base, the Rifle has no sights, not sure if it will come with a scope base or not at this time. Likely mount a Burris 2-7x 40 on it.

The Tactical 10-22 (the one with the birdcage-style FH) comes with a weaver rail and screws to go into the d&t receiver. On top of that I used a light (6.5 oz.) 2.5x Leupold M8 scope for targets up to 150 yds (my eyes are gone). Before that, it had an OKO red dot and that was good up to 100yds, maybe 125.

For mags, I have used BX-25 2X (factory jungle clip) in pistol caliber carbine (PCC) competition and have had zero issues, as long as I shoot the right ammo.

While most shooters look for velocity (and that's important, too), I look for the waxiness of the bullet as too much wax (I'm sure the factory thought it would lubricate, nice try) eventually gunks up and stops the feed cold. Between matches, I'll open the mag (easier BTW to clean than the rotary) to wipe the wax buildup, and we're good for another several hundred rounds.

Many people also say look for the old all metal ones. I say that's fine if the round count on the rifle is low. Otherwise, everything wears out anyway and the plastic trigger group is good for everyday use. It's not the best, but if I wanted the best, I'd toss the factory stuff out just the same for a Kidd or Volks. To each his own. I run complete factory setup with the exception of the scope and buffer, which I made out of a $1.50 nylon bolt from Home Depot.

Honestly, the only issue I can even mention is no last round BHO, but so what? MP5s don't have them either.

Doncha just love .22s?...I mean, 10-22s?

moonbat60
September 21, 2014, 20:24
http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p652/moonbat60/IMG_0034_zps02ee8e87.jpg (http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/moonbat60/media/IMG_0034_zps02ee8e87.jpg.html)http://

Here is mine, a 2012 10/22 Takedown in its final set-up. Nice little carbine.

I polished the bolt carrier, installed a KIDD charging handle and recoil spring unit, a KIDD bolt buffer and an extended mag release.

I like the Takedown for its ease of disassembly and cleaning. It still fits in the bag without removing the scope.

moonbat60
September 21, 2014, 20:31
http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p652/moonbat60/IMG_0037_zps4701b8ba.jpg (http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/moonbat60/media/IMG_0037_zps4701b8ba.jpg.html)http://

Little more detail of the receiver.............

12v71
September 21, 2014, 21:06
You have to remember when K Mart was selling Model 60's they were half the price of a Ruger 10/22. When they ran the 60's sale you could get one for < $60.
I also think the Model 60 with the micro groove bore is more accurate. :smile:

I got my first m-60 at... Kmart in 1981 for a whole blazing 59.99. That thing rode behind the seat of the truck forever. Maybe 20,000 rounds through it, never cleaned, just a blast of WD-40 when it got sluggish. And damned accurate. I have blasted at least 4 100 yd coyotes with it. Its still going and has actually been properly cleaned recently.
Oh, I do have a couple of 10-22s too. They are ok. My last was one of the "Fishscale" models with the wood straight stock, very comfortable shooter.

Jaxxas
September 21, 2014, 22:58
I have 3 (I think) 10/22's. One pretty much stock with a red dot on it, a Charger mostly for the kids, and the one below. Mostly if not all non Ruger.

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss317/The_JaXXas/IMG_0202.jpg (http://s587.photobucket.com/user/The_JaXXas/media/IMG_0202.jpg.html)

gunplumber
September 22, 2014, 08:40
Do you like that stock? I've got a 14.5" heavy lothar-walther barrel lying around that cost as much as the rifle. So now I need another rifle to hang it on. I thought that stock looked cool but I was wondering how practical it might be?

moonbat60
September 22, 2014, 08:54
I think personally that the 1022 Takedown is the highest standard of evolution that the 1022 will ever get to.

Maybe not accuracy-wise, but regarding overall handling.

Jaxxas
September 22, 2014, 12:42
Do you like that stock? I've got a 14.5" heavy lothar-walther barrel lying around that cost as much as the rifle. So now I need another rifle to hang it on. I thought that stock looked cool but I was wondering how practical it might be?

Yes, I really like the stock, but it does cost near double (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/262038/bell-and-carlson-odyssey-adjustable-target-style-rifle-stock-ruger-10-22-920-barrel-3-way-butt-assembly-synthetic-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding)the original rifle. I had no issues with fit or finish, the stock barrel channel was free floated all the way with my barrel. This rifle will easily shoot sub-moa in the right hands, which likely is partially attributable to being able to dial the stock fit in precisely. The 20" Green Mountain barrel helps! It's a bit heavy overall, maybe more of a bench rest or prone stock, but I can still shoulder it comfortably.

I definitely think it looks cool!

Whydah
September 23, 2014, 06:57
My 10-22 is a simple "plain jane" rifle topped with a 4X NIKON 22 scope. I did 'slick' up the internals a bit with a few after-market parts, including an adjustable trigger. I also inlaid a compass in the stock and drilled two holes beneath the plastic butt cap that holds five .22lr rounds each. Its a user, not a looker, and the rifle stock shows it. I've had it for a long time. But my first 10-22 was bought back in the late 60's at a local K-Mart. I think it cost me about $50! Wish I still had it.

I like the new take-down rifle. It would be a great addition to toss into the car on a trip, along with several 25-round Ruger mags. I have an SR22 that would be the perfect mate for it.

moonbat60
September 23, 2014, 17:20
Whydah,

I've handled over the years some 10-22s, but I really do love my TD. It is easy to clean, easy to fieldstrip and just rocks.

Mine likes CCI Minimags the best. It does not like subsonics, at least not the low velocity stuff. I could shoot it single-shot though.

The bag coming with it is also well-thought out. Mine holds in various pouches 6 BX25 mags, a small survival kit, boresnake, small tool kit, and a paintball container that holds around 500rds. of .22LR.

That bag contains everything needed to clean the TD in the field, do some simple maintenance etc.

catmguy445
September 23, 2014, 18:19

What you have there is what Ruger calls the 10/22 LVT, which stands for Light Varmint/Target. On the Rimfire Central forum, the LVT is said to be the most accurate factory 10/22 that Ruger's ever produced, even better than the Target model. I just got one recently myself, but haven't gotten a scope for mine yet either. I have some high hopes for it. I'm also probably going to drop a Kidd Trigger Job kit in it. From everything everyone on RFC has said, that's about the only thing you need to do to an LVT to make a great shooter out of it.

Somebody else has probably also told you it's an LVT by now, but I suppose a little redundancy won't hurt anything.

MAINER
September 25, 2014, 11:15
Yup, that's the one. I have been on a wait list for one about ten months or so. Looks like Accusport ordered a bunch because I see them from several sources now.

I have given the Kidd trigger a look, but am going to wait until I try the pull on the factory one before spend money on an upgrade. Being an FAL shooter leaves one with a lot of tolerance about trigger pulls, anything five pounds or less seems too light anymore. :facepalm:

Thinking of topping it with a Redfield 2-7x for everyday shooting to keep it all "Made in the USA", but it may only be assembled in the US with parts from the Philippines, not sure about this.

Good luck with your LVT, would like to know your thoughts on it when it's up and running.

catmguy445
September 25, 2014, 23:03
It's getting closer to being up and running. I've had it apart for the last couple days. The inside of the receiver was covered with overspray, and the action felt gritty when cycled manually. The bore had some kind of glop in it that I'm guessing was some kind of preservative, and it took some effort to get it out.

So far, I've scrubbed the receiver innards with Scotchbrite and have been polishing the left side (away from the ejection port), rear, and bottom of the bolt to reduce friction, and now the action is nice and smooth. I still need to polish the hammer face and the trigger return plunger. As far as a scope goes, I haven't decided yet, but whatever it is will probably be a 3-9X or 4-12X, and either a Leupold or Nikon for optics. I'd kind of forgotten about the resurrected Redfield scopes, so thanks for reminding me. That adds one more possibility. Either the Ruger base or a good quality Weaver base for a mount, and good quality (haven't decided which brand yet) rings.

I like a light, crisp trigger, especially in a .22 LR. If I use the Kidd setup, it will be their drop-in Trigger Job kit, not the single stage or double stage triggers. I've put both Power Custom and Volquartsen sear & hammer kits in other 10/22's, but from everything I've read, the Kidd TJ kit is better both in quality and performance (can you say 1 3/4 lb. trigger pull, boys and girls?) than either of the other brands. I also checked the trigger pull on my LVT with a good gauge, and it's right at 4 1/2 lbs. out of the box, so I'm going to try it that way for a while. I also added a Tuffer Buffer bolt buffer, and have some extra bolt locks ordered from Ruger, which I'm going to convert to auto bolt releases and save the original that came in the rifle.

I'll let you know how it does once I get a scope mounted. This is taking longer than it usually does, because this month, I've got a car project and two gun projects all going simultaneously, so everything is taking longer than normal to finish. Multi-tasking really is NOT efficient. Write that down. LOL.

nearmisses
August 15, 2015, 15:51
Mainer I tried some Butler Creek last year, metal lipped ones and they jammed. Also the Ruger BT25's jam same way, about 10 rounds thru. Not happy with either, need to get her some 10 shot and see. Might be bolt related. I will be looking into it more. Never had an unreliable 10-22 before. We can't shoot this summer due to the risk of fire being so high. Bummer!

Bruce, your Md.60 is a fine rifle, don't get me wrong in comments before. Marlins are/were very accurate wth the Micro grove barrels. Reason they made more was as others said, 1/2 the price of a 10-22, held more rounds too!
If you ever take one completely apart you'll know what I mean, loose one of those small c -clips and you'll go nuts! Not so much today as probably available at Home Depot but not years ago. I have a lady friend who has some shoulder problems and wants something that holds a lot of rounds for cheap and works when you pull the trigger, told her a Marlin Md. 60.

hueyville
August 19, 2015, 18:11
If anyone has an old metal trigger group laying around from upgrading to a drop in kit could use a couple.

fnogger
August 20, 2015, 07:40
If anyone has an old metal trigger group laying around from upgrading to a drop in kit could use a couple.

I have one, only a few hundred rounds shot with it... send me a PM if you'd like to do some trading...

AZ Dave
August 20, 2015, 19:15
I have used butler creek mags for years and never had a problem with them. I have 1 with plastic lips that has thousands of rounds through it and it has never jammed..

gates
August 20, 2015, 20:49
This thread brings back memories...a yearning for the "Tactical Wheelbarrow" to go along with my sniper juiced 10/22, those that have been around a while know what I'm talking about:D

Democrat1
August 21, 2015, 17:00
There is a whole cottage industry of people improving the stock parts on the 10/22, as well as an even larger industry of people selling replacement parts.

The action on the 10/22 is really set up for High Speed ammo. Some will handle Standard Velocity reliably, but none that have passed through my hands do. Standard Velocity ammo is generally much more accurate than High Speed. If all you need is minute-of-popcan, the stock barrel will do with High Speed. I like to shoot Civilian Marksmanship Program .22 Sporter matches, and I need much better groups. I have generally had Ruger parts modified, not replaced them, and my three 10/22 rifles look stock. Just one gunsmith did all the work on my rifles, but in the time since he has treated a lot of people badly, so I would not recommend him to anyone.

Ruger barrels are good barrels, they just have really loose chambers so they will swallow wildly varying cheap ammo. Because of the chamber, they don't shoot well. The first thing I had done was to have the chamber end of the barrel faced off .200", and rechambered with a reamer that lightly engraved the bullet on loading, rather like a semi auto pistol match chamber. This does make it impossible to extract an unfired cartridge, if you don't have a aftermarket extractor, and even then it may be a problem.

Ruger bolts are set up at the factory with loose headspace, which is not good for accuracy, so I had the front of the bolt squared & modified to tighten up headspace. I had a pin put in just above the firing pin, preventing occasional squirrelly ignition from the firing pin kicking up. I had the bottom edge of the bolt radiused to improve functioning with lower powered ammo.

I had a trigger job done. Most 10/22 rifles have a lot of creep, grit, and other bad qualities. Lots of people want a really light trigger on their .22 rifle. CMP rules require a trigger to be almost the weight the factory set it at, but getting the creep & grit made a remarkable difference.

I had the stock pillar bedded. There are other systems to do this with, and it worked for me.

I have always disliked the way the 10/22 bolt does not stay back after the last shot, so I got an aftermarket system that does keep the bolt back after the last shot. Expensive, but I like it.

There are a lot of threads on this work on the Rimfire Central (RFC) forums. My avatar there is a 50 yard target shot with one of these rifles, a 100-8X. Some links:
Barrel face-off and rechamber:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573561&highlight=rechamber
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506497&highlight=rechamber

Bolt work:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576035&highlight=bolt+reset+headspace

Triggers:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529405&highlight=Nemohunter

Bedding:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320811&highlight=Nemohunter

Bolt stop (Mk I used factory bolt & mod. mags, new Mk II uses aftermarket bolt):
http://cstmtech.com/10-22bs2g/

I hope this helps.

hueyville
August 21, 2015, 19:37
So far, I've scrubbed the receiver innards with Scotchbrite and have been polishing the left side (away from the ejection port), rear, and bottom of the bolt to reduce friction, and now the action is nice and smooth. I still need to polish the hammer face and the trigger return plunger. As far as a scope goes, I haven't decided yet, but whatever it is will probably be a 3-9X or 4-12X, and either a Leupold or Nikon for optics. I'd kind of forgotten about the resurrected Redfield scopes, so thanks for reminding me. That adds one more possibility. Either the Ruger base or a good quality Weaver base for a mount, and good quality (haven't decided which brand yet) rings.

I'll let you know how it does once I get a scope mounted. This is taking longer than it usually does, because this month, I've got a car project and two gun projects all going simultaneously, so everything is taking longer than normal to finish. Multi-tasking really is NOT efficient. Write that down. LOL.

Have several 10/22's with a variety of scopes. Two favorites both have Leupold 4x-12x 40 mm Adjustable Objective so can set parallax right at 25 and 50 yards when shooting short distances. Have a Leupold 2x-7x on my plinking rifle and a 6x-18x on pure target version. Also have a mostly stock with Simmons 3x-9x and others. Just put a used Bushnell paid $10 on a box stock blued rifle and going to shoot crap out of it without any modifications. Out of all, for me, the Leupy 4x-12x 40 mm A.O. are the most version and do about anything need to do unless trying to shoot that magical 100 yard group then my tiring eyes benefit from the 18x top end on my pure target version but with 6x bottom end not enough field of view to use for much other than punching paper.

Some reason I really like the Power Custom kits, use a Power Custom Series One jig to stone all the critical mating surfaces then lap the other moving parts with plain Crest toothpaste. If move taking small bites, a jig to assemble and test outside of rifle makes multiple assemblies and disassembles is real aid, and am able to set trigger pretty much where want for each rifles use. About to rip two older hammer forged down to set triggers to same pull as experimented with different pulls on the two and takes a moment to adjust if swap from one to the other. Also going to rebed both.

Just ordered my first aftermarket receiver to build from scratch. Only thing 100% sure is will get Lothar Walther barrel, factory metal trigger housing and do the slicking up myself. 1911's, AR's and 10/22 triggers have done enough to be confident can set where want. Hi Powers can improve but several customs have handled are much better than I have attained thus far. Pretty sure will make my own stock for this one. What I want is just goofy on price, found plans and code for a stock I like and going to run it on my CNC to save some bucks.