PDA

View Full Version : Early Kimber 1911 need info

Guy-epic
September 13, 2014, 14:41
So a local shop came across a very very early Kimber. It is like first 100 early. The finish isn't super awesome, but they were a small shop I guess. It's super tight and looks like no rounds have been shot thru it maybe a magazine or two. I guess Kimber is sending a letter, and they are showing interest in it as well. What do you guys know about them? And what's the max you would pay? Thanks they would let me post pics yet? Odd but there gun not mine yet

nwobhm
September 13, 2014, 14:57
Let Kimber have it. When "Kimber" changes their mind....$700 would be my max. The shop will do better selling it on GB.

MAINER
September 13, 2014, 16:33
I have an early Kimber Custom, but not that early, supposedly better made than the Custom II, but I don't know why. OK 1911, but nothing special, especially at the prices they ask for them now. I've replaced some of the mim and plastic parts on mine.

Are you a collector? If not, I would use my 1911 money for a Colt, S&W, Sig, Springfield Armory.

Guy-epic
September 13, 2014, 17:55
I have an early Kimber Custom, but not that early, supposedly better made than the Custom II, but I don't know why. OK 1911, but nothing special, especially at the prices they ask for them now. I've replaced some of the mim and plastic parts on mine.

Are you a collector? If not, I would use my 1911 money for a Colt, S&W, Sig, Springfield Armory.

No I they owe me some store credit, and I can get a good price on it. I shoot guns! They don't sit in my safe to look pretty, I am not going to die not shooting every gun every chance I get. I just thought It was cool that it was so early. I am not a big Kimber fan. Not at all

MAINER
September 13, 2014, 20:35
I ASSumed that the shop wanted to sell the pistol for a high price due to a low number and that Kimber is interested in it.

I'm not a collector either so the pistol wouldn't interest me unless I could shoot it and the price was right. Low numbers do have a cool factor, but don't warrant much more money from me.

As a shooter, I'd pay about $600 for it and did pay that for mine in 1997. Prices have gone way far north since then, but they have some serious competition at their asking prices now.

My complaints about them beside the plastic MSH and slightly gritty (getting better) trigger is the sights. They are probably fine for a younger shooter with better eyes, but I like some white dots and am considering sending it out for Trintium Nite sights.

nearmisses
September 13, 2014, 22:03
Chip McCorrmick designed or helped with their prototypes if I remember right. They were decent 1911's at the time. 700.00 sounds right, even low but doable.

N4KVE
September 14, 2014, 11:08
Believe it or not my Dad helped them too in the early days. I spent the summer of 91 in NY/CT. My Dad & I would leave work in Mt. Vernon NY, right next to Yonkers, & I'd ask him why were not heading home. He'd reply he needs to stop by Kimber as they want him to test a new gun. He'd shoot it that Sunday at the range in Ardsley NY, & write down his thoughts as he shot it. The next day he'd give the gun back with his notes. This went on all summer. He did say their manufacturing facility was better than Colt. He's gone now, but these are some of the memories I have. GARY

Guy-epic
September 15, 2014, 14:40
Believe it or not my Dad helped them too in the early days. I spent the summer of 91 in NY/CT. My Dad & I would leave work in Mt. Vernon NY, right next to Yonkers, & I'd ask him why were not heading home. He'd reply he needs to stop by Kimber as they want him to test a new gun. He'd shoot it that Sunday at the range in Ardsley NY, & write down his thoughts as he shot it. The next day he'd give the gun back with his notes. This went on all summer. He did say their manufacturing facility was better than Colt. He's gone now, but these are some of the memories I have. GARY

That's really cool. I am just waiting to hear the number that they want to decide. I figure if it's $600 or less I will take it. I found out they are into it $400. It would be neat to see pictures of the early Kimber operations, and your dad's notes. It would be great to see how they came up with a successful formula. I find it sad that quality has dropped as the prices have went thru the roof. I think they were the first ones to offer a nice custom 1911 out of the box. Sadly I think the new ones are junk IMO. I think that the tides have changes and you can buy a nice new stock 1911 and have it made into a custom one far cheaper, and better this is just my oppinion.

hueyville
October 14, 2014, 00:55
I own a bakers dozen 1911's and not a single Kimber. Semi custom production pistols dont do much for me. I own mostly Colts, Randalls, Detonics, Dan Wesson and rarer variations. My dumb brother has penchant for anything with bling. Suprised he does not wear a gold plated Mercedes emblem around neck. Before he went nutts he had half a dozen Kimbers and none shot exceptional and for price I would buy a Norinco and use money saved to build it my way.