PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 3 screw 1969 resurrected from the DEAD

Guy-epic
September 05, 2014, 19:24
So a little while back I bought what was left of a 1969 Ruger 3 screw. It had been painted in camo, mismatched grips, & missing parts. I never thought it was going to be a thing more then a wall hanger after my last attempt to get her going again. Then I thought I would jump on the Ruger forum and see what they had to say. Well to make it a shorter story a member gave me the parts and it's a shooter again. now I have my set of pistols, and a lever action 357 to get going in cowboy action. Just need a shotgun, and a cart to get out there. Oh and maybe some nice leather. Oh stitcher want to make some old west stuff?

MAINER
September 06, 2014, 08:12
Pre-73 type parts or the conversion stuff? I think I read that you had picked up a newer Blackhawk so the conversion parts would make a better match for your purposes.

Do you need a pre '98 style Shotty? I seem to remember Winchester Model 97's being popular with the cowboy shooting folk. Are the Norinco's any good?

Cart? I don't remember any carts in "Gunfight at OK Corral". :D

I built a 50 cal TC Hawken rifle a bunch of years ago. By the time I got all the tools and accoutrements to load and shoot the thing, I needed a box to put it all in. Still not sure how the Mountainmen got by with a little pouch and a Powder horn. :confused:

Good luck with the wheel guns.

Guy-epic
September 06, 2014, 10:20
Pre-73 type parts or the conversion stuff? I think I read that you had picked up a newer Blackhawk so the conversion parts would make a better match for your purposes.

Do you need a pre '98 style Shotty? I seem to remember Winchester Model 97's being popular with the cowboy shooting folk. Are the Norinco's any good?

Cart? I don't remember any carts in "Gunfight at OK Corral". :D

I built a 50 cal TC Hawken rifle a bunch of years ago. By the time I got all the tools and accoutrements to load and shoot the thing, I needed a box to put it all in. Still not sure how the Mountainmen got by with a little pouch and a Powder horn. :confused:

Good luck with the wheel guns.

Ya this one is a 1969 beater but will get the job done. My other one is a NM.
Both are converted. No nastalga here. I guess you need a cart? I saw it in the rules to go from station to station. I guess to carry two rifles and ammo?
Ya looking for a 97. Not heard any good about knockoffs. I have always wanted a black powder

Guy-epic
September 06, 2014, 10:22
Luckily 97's are cheap $500 gets a sweet one

MAINER
September 06, 2014, 17:30
I happened to run across one at the Gunshow today for about $380. Pretty solid gun with 28" full choked barrel, but could benefit from some refinish work unless you like them with character.

I always notice 97's because a buddy of mine had one that could put as many pellets in the air as my Remy 1100. He was known to gather a few dollars from unsuspecting experts once in awhile. Hold the trigger back and let her rip! :D

If you like BP in the Hawken style, check out Lyman Plains Rifle in .50 or .54. Jake and Sam Hawken would be proud. They come ready made and as a kit. Made in Italy, but they have a plain rustic look to them that I like. There are better rifles, but they cost twice as much. I'm a traditionalist, wouldn't give 50 cents for a modern "in-line" BP rifle.

Guy-epic
September 07, 2014, 13:57
I happened to run across one at the Gunshow today for about $380. Pretty solid gun with 28" full choked barrel, but could benefit from some refinish work unless you like them with character.

I always notice 97's because a buddy of mine had one that could put as many pellets in the air as my Remy 1100. He was known to gather a few dollars from unsuspecting experts once in awhile. Hold the trigger back and let her rip! :D

If you like BP in the Hawken style, check out Lyman Plains Rifle in .50 or .54. Jake and Sam Hawken would be proud. They come ready made and as a kit. Made in Italy, but they have a plain rustic look to them that I like. There are better rifles, but they cost twice as much. I'm a traditionalist, wouldn't give 50 cents for a modern "in-line" BP rifle.

Ya I would have bought it in a heart beat. I plan to do some stock modifications so ruff is all good. Plus I love wood refinishing right now at least. I will check out those black powder rifles.
I am starting to design a cart. I want to do a carnival trick shot theme on mine. With a lot of bright colors and hand painted lettering. I need to see if that is ok? I would think it is as that is a time period thing sort of. But I was thinking a coffin and bright reds, yellows, Black, and blue. With polished brass pulleys for wheels. I can see it in my head.

MAINER
September 08, 2014, 09:48
Ya I would have bought it in a heart beat. I plan to do some stock modifications so ruff is all good. Plus I love wood refinishing right now at least. I will check out those black powder rifles.
I am starting to design a cart. I want to do a carnival trick shot theme on mine. With a lot of bright colors and hand painted lettering. I need to see if that is ok? I would think it is as that is a time period thing sort of. But I was thinking a coffin and bright reds, yellows, Black, and blue. With polished brass pulleys for wheels. I can see it in my head.

Ummm, OK, but....any chance you have been picking wild mushrooms lately? :rofl:

I sure hope you post pics of this Cart when you finish it. I think it needs big wheels, maybe self-propelled? :biggrin:

bubbaguns
September 08, 2014, 11:44
I bought a blackhawk used for cheap because it had no bluing left and a broken trigger guard. I called ruger and they said send it back to them. They replace damn near everything on the gun and reblued it. It looks brand new. It was made in 1986. It just coat me shipping.

Guy-epic
September 08, 2014, 13:54
I bought a blackhawk used for cheap because it had no bluing left and a broken trigger guard. I called ruger and they said send it back to them. They replace damn near everything on the gun and reblued it. It looks brand new. It was made in 1986. It just coat me shipping.

Wow they re blued it? Hmm if I didn't have it shooting I would think about it. The great things it I want, or need to practice fixing guns up. It's what I enjoy. I will spend hours polishing Areas no one ever sees but me. The first AK I built I polished so much I thought I was going to go thru the metal. I have a great idea to make this old dog look good again, if it doesn't. Well I can start over with something else on it.

Timber Wolf
September 08, 2014, 19:38

Uh Huh, they like you better than me. Several years ago I sent Ruger a letter (pre-internet days) that said I was looking close at my Single Six I had bought used several years before and dang if I did not finally notice the two screws that go in the back of the grip frame into the frame were missing. Would they please throw two in an envelope with a note of what I owed them for the screws and shipping. Got a letter back that said, and I quote, "we do not do business that way". They also told me how much the screws were, a $1.17 each or something. I sent a check for the pittance and got the damn screws. I have several Ruger firearms, but don't care for the Company much.

Guy-epic
September 09, 2014, 11:54
Uh Huh, they like you better than me. Several years ago I sent Ruger a letter (pre-internet days) that said I was looking close at my Single Six I had bought used several years before and dang if I did not finally notice the two screws that go in the back of the grip frame into the frame were missing. Would they please throw two in an envelope with a note of what I owed them for the screws and shipping. Got a letter back that said, and I quote, "we do not do business that way". They also told me how much the screws were, a $1.17 each or something. I sent a check for the pittance and got the damn screws. I have several Ruger firearms, but don't care for the Company much.

I have heard goods and bad things. I think like many companies they have had growing pains. People at many companies making bad decisions. I have ran many body shops. I worked at one years ago that is gone now. They made bad decisions like this one. Anytime a customer would come in with a small scratch or big one I would try to polish it off as a customer service for free. That shop wrote me up for giving away a service for free. I left. I have always felt we don't make money off a two minute job, but we gain a customer for life.

xcpd69
September 10, 2014, 13:40
You can shear a sheep over and over.

Only skin him once.

I'm one of those sheep shearers, myself.

I can look myself in the mirror and no one ever tried to track me down.

:wink:

Guy-epic
September 10, 2014, 13:51
You can shear a sheep over and over.

Only skin him once.

I'm one of those sheep shearers, myself.

I can look myself in the mirror and no one ever tried to track me down.

:wink:

Amen! I totally agree