PDA

View Full Version : RAUFOSS

gates
September 02, 2014, 22:22
Have any of you seen any for sale? in the last 4-5 years? seems to have dried up.

SAFN49
September 02, 2014, 22:31
I know a guy in ohio that has a full can. It's a little pricey.

nwobhm
September 02, 2014, 22:32
It's on GB.

SAFN49
September 02, 2014, 22:40
It's on GB.

Holy s**t. That's $1500 more than he was trying to sell it for a year or two ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438633152

I supplied blast mats for his armored HMMWV!

SAFN49
September 02, 2014, 22:42
Don't buy these. Tip color is wrong.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438635154

yellowhand
September 02, 2014, 22:46
Have any of you seen any for sale? in the last 4-5 years? seems to have dried up.

???? in english

yellowhand
September 02, 2014, 22:49
oh, 50 cal:eek:

gates
September 03, 2014, 01:55
LOL - yes, .50BMG. Sans an X-ray you should know what they look like... rounded, not pointy noses...on the pills.

yellowhand
September 03, 2014, 02:10
:) saw the results a few times of center mass hits, was not a lot of mass left after impact!
When ma went off, I normally had to go to work, kinda like an alarm clock!:uhoh:
At this price, this must be APIT????

TOWS220
September 03, 2014, 04:16
One step above api/api-t.

This stuff has a small HE charge (RDX) along with penetrator and incendiary ingredients.

yellowhand
September 03, 2014, 09:44
Wow, sounds like big time collector stuff.

gska3873
September 03, 2014, 12:17
Don't buy these. Tip color is wrong.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438635154

The original guy that sold these in the 2009-2010 time frame ripped off a bunch of people on gunbroker with those fake ones.

easttex
September 03, 2014, 13:18
One step above api/api-t.

This stuff has a small HE charge (RDX) along with penetrator and incendiary ingredients.

This is civvie legal? Sounds like a destructive device to me.

bubbaguns
September 03, 2014, 15:52

Why quibble over technicalities. :whistling:

SAFN49
September 03, 2014, 16:15

It's not over .5" and only slightly more destructive than the party mix,
and some may not be legal in all areas.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/Nighttimeparty_zpsa6fe5312.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/Nighttimeparty_zpsa6fe5312.jpg.html)

partisan50
September 03, 2014, 16:54

As long as it contains less than 1/4 oz of explosives, it's not DD.

TOWS220
September 03, 2014, 18:13
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k520/Nate_West/Mobile%20Uploads/Mk2111.jpeg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/Nate_West/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Mk2111.jpeg.html)

Spall pattern after impact, love this picture.

GOVT1911
September 03, 2014, 20:20
I ended up with 10 rnds, gave them to a collector buddy of mine. I think he owes me a beer after looking at the going rate! LOL

tac-40
September 04, 2014, 17:10
The MK211 RAUFOSS (officially the MK211 Mod 0 U.S. Navy/Crane-USSOCOM Designation) or NM140 MP is a .50 caliber round made for the Barrett M107/M82 and M2 machinegun. It was made by the Norwegian company Nammo AS (Nordic Ammunition) and manufactured under the licence of several American companies, including Winchester, they assemble the components at various locations but actual bullet is always manufactured at the Nammo factory in Raufoss, Norway. It is identified by white paint, overlapped by green, on its tip.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110101030158/guns/images/6/69/Raufoss1.jpg

yellowhand
September 04, 2014, 21:01
The MK211 RAUFOSS (officially the MK211 Mod 0 U.S. Navy/Crane-USSOCOM Designation) or NM140 MP is a .50 caliber round made for the Barrett M107/M82 and M2 machinegun. It was made by the Norwegian company Nammo AS (Nordic Ammunition) and manufactured under the licence of several American companies, including Winchester, they assemble the components at various locations but actual bullet is always manufactured at the Nammo factory in Raufoss, Norway. It is identified by white paint, overlapped by green, on its tip.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110101030158/guns/images/6/69/Raufoss1.jpg

Thank you, wondered why it is called what it is.

one hand clapping
September 05, 2014, 10:12
Holy crap- I just looked at that auction. Frigg'n $1800.00 big ones for "possible" ruffie rounds' ?? WTF over

IF I was unscruplous, I would be out in the garage painting over some old API in green and white to sell as "possible something 50bmg"

Hell, who in their RIGHT MIND would pay that much for "possible" ????
Now IF it was garrenteed to be the real deal-I could see up to,a grand for the box , given the current state of affairs BUT-
I wonder if its muzzie money look'n for some, and they don't have a clue its fake, as in NOT ruffie? IF the buyer is lucky ,it will at least be AP, but could be plane old 660 grn ball.
Wonder what the weight diff is between ruffie and AP?
We might be able to tell whats what by weight, given anybody can paint tips. [though its harder to "age" the fresh paint, without notice.].PLUS as stated prior ,riffues have a rounded, kinda flat tip vs pointy, like the 700 grn AP and such.
I might dig some different types out and weigh some . I will post weights if I do this.

gates
September 05, 2014, 14:55
LOL - thats a "NO GO" OHC - Rauf has a distinct nose, if you look closely it is more rounded than AP,APIT,API - anyone that knows anything about these rounds would spot your painted fakes in about two seconds:-)

TOWS220
September 05, 2014, 16:37
I have read that a scammer was recontouring the ogives and painting them awhile back, keep an eye out.

one hand clapping
September 05, 2014, 17:08
LOL - thats a "NO GO" OHC - Rauf has a distinct nose, if you look closely it is more rounded than AP,APIT,API - anyone that knows anything about these rounds would spot your painted fakes in about two seconds:-)

Well, I dug out my ready bag and compared all the good ones-ruffie,ap,api,apit and Plain T,I and ball.
The old Tracer rounds I have seem to be "in between the round nose ruffie and the much pointer others, and REAL different than the 700 grn mollyAP thats pointed like a dart.
SO - If one were to try to cheat folks, they could start with those and it might take a bit longer top spot 'em.
Ya'll KNOW I would not consider/ do such a thing, I mean ,have ya ever seen me do anything concerning ammo cept for buy'n more and putt'n it downrange.
I attempted to weigh them ,but my reloading scale doesn't go that high and the spring loaded market scale is a bit too inaccurate for real study. I'll get the digital sales scale out and do a weight chart tomorrow .

gates
September 06, 2014, 00:38
We all know you wouldn't do that - that said, I can identify a fake r round in about 2 seconds, they are very distinctive - if someone is machining the nose cones then I don't know what to say other than loser/thief.

September 12, 2014, 13:28
I kinda like the yellow tip spotter-tracer rounds myself.

SAFN49
September 13, 2014, 00:47
I kinda like the yellow tip spotter-tracer rounds myself.

How many you want? I got tons of them.

September 21, 2014, 12:10
pm on the way, thanks.

gates
September 21, 2014, 22:38
There's a can on GB right now - $7600 for 120 rounds...

Gary Harwell
September 25, 2014, 21:04
The green paint is distinctive too in spotting the fakes. The bright green stuff be wary of, the faded lime green more likely real , but the nose blunt is a tipoff. There is some WC contract also, the best, look for red sealed primers on those.
Some available reasonable if anyone interested. Also FN ,original boxes.
email here

Side note, SLAP around too, but not easy to shoot, anyone have pointers for not screwing up muzzle brake...??

PS watch Ohio Ordinance email specials, had them for $30. rd last December special.

SAFN49
September 25, 2014, 21:19
The green paint is distinctive too in spotting the fakes. The bright green stuff be wary of, the faded lime green more likely real , but the nose blunt is a tipoff. There is some WC contract also, the best, look for red sealed primers on those.
email here

Side note, SLAP around too, but not easy to shoot, anyone have pointers for not screwing up muzzle brake...??

PS watch Ohio Ordinance email specials, had them for $30. rd last December special.

You DO NOT EVER shoot SLAP through a muzzle brake. Ever. Do so at your own risk.

Gary Harwell
September 25, 2014, 22:43
yes i know, asking any way around with a modified brake of some sort. Have a manufacturer looking into it, but not likely at this point.. Why I asked.

carguym14
October 06, 2014, 14:25
email here

Yeah,I picked up mine thru OOW-pretty good deal.Wouldn't mind some more if they break out more of their stash.

Taking off the muzzle brake would be your only safe option as far as S.L.A.P. goes.......

gates
October 14, 2014, 00:22
Heh, good luck with the shoulder with no brake:whistling:

I have an 82A1 and a Maddi I built - no way I'd shoot either with no break in a T-shirt off of a bench... ever.

The ammo in #19 is the real deal.

GIshooter
November 08, 2014, 11:51
Interesting thread. I've fired quite a bit of it and other types of 50BMG in the service. My basic load on my M2 in my Afghanistan rotations consisted of API/APIT mix. Used the big Mark 19 can on the mounts compared to the little cans. Held a hell of a lot more rounds. Much preferred even with the extra weight and effort it took to swing the gun around. Worked well on chewing thru the mud bricks on the targets we were assaulting. We also had the loose Raufoss rounds for the rifles. Better accuracy compared to the belted stuff.
I'd be very suspicious of anyone selling authentic Raufoss. I don't think any was sold legaly to the civilian market. And yes, I've seen it bought and sold at the shows around Fort Bragg. One dealer always had a sign up advertising he would buy 50 BMG. I'm sure more than one stolen can was procurred that way.

gew98
November 09, 2014, 07:41
A buddy in declining health gave my son a 50 BMG viper single shot. Have three cans packed tight of loose M33 ball and tracer with alot of yellow and red tipped rounds ( spotter type projo ?) , and a couple slap rounds. Reading this will have me take those slap rounds to the next knob creek and pawn them off. Saw them there last month for $45 each. I saw a sign on a table too advertising Rouffess rounds but never bothered to look any further.
I assume the sabot and muzzlebreaks are bad karma causing th eprojo to make it's own route in the muzzbreak ?.

SAFN49
November 09, 2014, 12:06
You are correct Yellow/Red tip are spotter tracer rounds and the SLAP rounds will remove a muzzle brake.

gates
November 09, 2014, 23:06
yes they will, and no I havn't:biggrin:

hueyville
November 09, 2014, 23:36
Met man two weeks ago who had 120 Raufuss rounds in 50 BMG. Swore of fathers grave were real and had man wanting bad. Set up face to face at a chiropractors office. Plan was to x-ray then if looked good I was going to pay to fire 1 round to verify no new way to cheat the picture. All rounds failed first step. My buyer was willing to pay $225 each and I was getting for $125 each. Guy knew worth more but afraid to sell on internet and across state lines. Shame it didn't work out but anyone that can afford to play the Raufuss game can pay for an x-ray. I was planning on after shooting the one for double verification, keeping 19 for self so my buyer had a even 100 and big smile.

gates
November 11, 2014, 00:04
yep - x-ray will separate the real deal from the bullshit, or you HAVE the real deal and know what it looks like:wink:

hueyville
November 15, 2014, 11:42
Gates,
I have had hands on the real deal and fakes. Can usually spot fakes just by a three second in-hand visual inspection. Four different times I have had hands on rounds with correct headstamp, paint and feel. Except for my verified 100% correct Raufoss example(s) all four lots that I was verifying for friends failed the x-ray machine. I have seen maybe two dozen different lots of claimed Raufoss rounds for sale or that an associate had purchased and quickly have been able to dismiss most visually. Several that I knew were fakes owner was so sure I was wrong they wasted the money on an x-ray anyway and when image went on screen next to known round they were upset. Amazing what some will pay without absolute proof due to greed of not letting an opportunity or deal get by them. If seller not willing or able to meet FTF to verify then I would advise anyone to take a pass unless person buying to not take a chance unless priced close to that of the armor piercing incendiary your probably getting.