PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on engraver

ratas calientes
September 02, 2014, 16:06
Folks -

I just got back my first Form 1 for a SBR. I now need to get the receiver engraved. Any recommendations on an engraver?

And just in case anyone wants to know . . . Form 1 took four months.

2barearms
September 02, 2014, 18:26
Are you looking to send it out?

ratas calientes
September 02, 2014, 18:41
My initial intention was to send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

I would also consider someone local. . . . . which would allow me to take it past and wait for it. If I get it done local, what should I look for? I don't want it messed up.

2barearms
September 02, 2014, 19:48
My initial intention was to send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

I would also consider someone local. . . . . which would allow me to take it past and wait for it. If I get it done local, what should I look for? I don't want it messed up.

Check under NFA type dealers in your AO. Gun stores that deal in NFA stuff etc.
Trophy shops that have pantograph type engravers that would do it while you
wait.

SAFN49
September 02, 2014, 19:49
KMP comes to mind, so does Orion

http://www.orion-arms.com/custom-engraving.html

OMR_RDTandE
September 02, 2014, 21:28
A second vote for Orion. They engraved our last 4 SBRs.

2barearms
September 03, 2014, 06:12
A second vote for Orion. They engraved our last 4 SBRs.

I'm supposing that since it's technically a stripped receiver in the case of
a an AR SBR it doesn't need a Form 5 to ship it out of state?

OMR_RDTandE
September 03, 2014, 09:34
I'm supposing that since it's technically a stripped receiver in the case of
a an AR SBR it doesn't need a Form 5 to ship it out of state?

IIRC, the Form 5 isn't required when shipping any Title 2 weapon to an FFL for work, or back to the original owner once complete. A form 5 implies transfer of ownership, which this is not.

Scott S
September 03, 2014, 15:16
I can recommend Gray Laser near San Antonio. Coworker and I drove there to have one of his lowers done and we chatted with him while he burned the text. Beautiful work, and it was only $10 more than mine done on a lightweight engraving CNC mill that didn't turn out the best product.

ratas calientes
September 04, 2014, 10:35
I did some more searching locally and found someone who does a few NFA items every week or so. He is familiar with the requirements. I will be dropping my lower off tomorrow morning and picking it up a few hours later.

Thanks for the input folks.

Blackmore
September 04, 2014, 18:58
My FFL buddy who is also SOT uses a local jeweler. It's never been a problem. The SOT was careful to explain the way it had to be done and the engraver wanted to be sure to get more work so he paid attention and has done them all correctly.

ratas calientes
September 08, 2014, 15:06
Dropped it off at a local Albuquerque place Friday morning, picked it up before lunch. Fella operates laser engraving from his home. Results look good, cost was $60.