PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen or shot a Webley-fosbery automatic revolver

Guy-epic
August 31, 2014, 21:19
I have seen one in a old Sean Conery movie, but other then that nothing. They look cool as ice. But I was wondering if anyone has one or has shot one? What was it like? Should I try and find one? Or is it not that great? Last thing anyone know a price range for one? Thanks guys.

kev
August 31, 2014, 22:19
Growing up back in the '70's/'80's there was one in a glass case at the LGS. It was a 'not for sale' gun piled up with a bunch of other collectibles. I think that's the only one I've seen during 30yrs of traveling around the country.

Don't think it's something you want to seriously put on your wish list. In any kind of condition at all it's a $10,000 item.

Much easier to find(and a whole lot cheaper)and probably just as fun to shoot would be the standard WWI and earlier Webley revolver. Picked this one up off of GB last week,...........still waiting for it to arrive. You've cost me over $2000 just in the last few months with your .45acp revolver thread. Two Smith .45s and this Webley, plus the second Smith is at the gunsmith racking up charges as I type.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/437155000/437155174/pix509125191.jpg

SWOHFAL
September 01, 2014, 02:08
Break out the eye bleach:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/7/76884/2642205-sean%2Bconnery%2Bin%2Bzardoz+(1).jpg

SAFN49
September 01, 2014, 10:34
If it's the one with the zig zag cut on the cylinder I saw and handled one 20+ years ago, but didn't get to fire it. Seemed rather odd.

Guy-epic
September 01, 2014, 12:53
Growing up back in the '70's/'80's there was one in a glass case at the LGS. It was a 'not for sale' gun piled up with a bunch of other collectibles. I think that's the only one I've seen during 30yrs of traveling around the country.

Don't think it's something you want to seriously put on your wish list. In any kind of condition at all it's a $10,000 item.

Much easier to find(and a whole lot cheaper)and probably just as fun to shoot would be the standard WWI and earlier Webley revolver. Picked this one up off of GB last week,...........still waiting for it to arrive. You've cost me over $2000 just in the last few months with your .45acp revolver thread. Two Smith .45s and this Webley, plus the second Smith is at the gunsmith racking up charges as I type.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/437155000/437155174/pix509125191.jpg

Share the live on those 45acp's I am to freaked out about getting burned on GB and I can't find one local to save my life. I am on the clock to put it bluntly to get one my gunsmith is a genius but is getting very old and his days are numbered. Thankfully as soon as I get one he is going to clear the bench for it. Pays to use a guy since you were 16 years old. I have a dream and it will come true soon. This being $10,000 is crazy money I need my 45 first and the other stuff to shoot cowboy action, and finish my FALs, and a Russian AK kit. Also my sons first 22's need to be restored, and so on. Oh and I need to perfect my rhode paint skills to do one for a friend. I want it to be perfect. The list keeps growing. Oh and I need to find a single barrel 12 gauge shotgun cut it down refinish it and the wood for a trade deal that has a deadline of mid next month plus clean inspect all the guns in that trade. After I fix a few minor things on them. Ugh the list keeps growing.

kev
September 01, 2014, 14:28
I've purchased over 500 guns on GB and haven't been burned yet. Maybe the next one, but it doesn't seem like anything to freak out over.

If I was forced to do all my buying locally I suspect I'd have a difficult time averaging two guns per year. As it is I'm doing more like two per week and if I had a mind to I think I could turn 90% of them for a profit. What I buy off of GunBroker is easily 30% under local prices even if I could find it locally,.....which I can't. The only exceptions are the three .45 revolvers here. I paid good money for those because of you and your silly thread. I wasn't even actively looking for pumkin' chuckers until you came along.

FUUN063
September 01, 2014, 14:50
Some years back, the Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver (and it's ammunition) were on my to-buy wish list. The prices on them have always been high, but I always wanted one. But, not to fire as a friend who owned one said that his was very problematic with jammings and needing to be super cleaned so that it would only occasionally work, sometimes. He compelled me to use the money that I was going to buy the Fosberry to purchase hundreds of other guns and I have over the years. I still like them and would own one, but I don't have the "fever" of wanting to buy one as a shooter, only for the coolness factor. I bought this one (on the right) not that long ago. It's an Aussie Police model.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/FUUN063/Britishguns001.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/FUUN063/media/Britishguns001.jpg.html)

Leland

SWOHFAL
September 01, 2014, 15:01
Some years back, the Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver (and it's ammunition) were on my to-buy wish list. The prices on them have always been high, but I always wanted one. But, not to fire as a friend who owned one said that his was very problematic with jammings and needing to be super cleaned so that it would only occasionally work, sometimes. He compelled me to use the money that I was going to buy the Fosberry to purchase hundreds of other guns and I have over the years. I still like them and would own one, but I don't have the "fever" of wanting to buy one as a shooter, only for the coolness factor. I bought this one (on the right) not that long ago. It's an Aussie Police model.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/FUUN063/Britishguns001.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/FUUN063/media/Britishguns001.jpg.html)

Leland

Did you file the front sight down on that Mk IV?

Guy-epic
September 01, 2014, 15:28
I've purchased over 500 guns on GB and haven't been burned yet. Maybe the next one, but it doesn't seem like anything to freak out over.

If I was forced to do all my buying locally I suspect I'd have a difficult time averaging two guns per year. As it is I'm doing more like two per week and if I had a mind to I think I could turn 90% of them for a profit. What I buy off of GunBroker is easily 30% under local prices even if I could find it locally,.....which I can't. The only exceptions are the three .45 revolvers here. I paid good money for those because of you and your silly thread. I wasn't even actively looking for pumkin' chuckers until you came along.

I am sorry I guess I need to just do it. I know what to look for in a good seller I just need to "pull the trigger"

FUUN063
September 01, 2014, 17:18
Nope. It's just how I got it.

Leland

SWOHFAL
September 01, 2014, 17:33
Nope. It's just how I got it.

Leland

Is it pinned in place or was it swaged into a groove? The one I have has a sight that is the half-moon shape I've come to expect on early revolvers.

FUUN063
September 01, 2014, 19:26
It's just a poor quality old pic I had. It still has the half round style of brass sight that it was made with. This particular revolver being made for the New South Wales Police. Sorry to muck up the OP's thread, but I don't have a Fosberry.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/FUUN063/Aussiepistol001_zpsbe6150e4.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/FUUN063/media/Aussiepistol001_zpsbe6150e4.jpg.html)

Leland

SWOHFAL
September 01, 2014, 21:52
It's just a poor quality old pic I had. It still has the half round style of brass sight that it was made with. This particular revolver being made for the New South Wales Police. Sorry to muck up the OP's thread, but I don't have a Fosberry.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/FUUN063/Aussiepistol001_zpsbe6150e4.jpg (http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/FUUN063/media/Aussiepistol001_zpsbe6150e4.jpg.html)

Leland

I was thinking of the other one.

kev
September 01, 2014, 22:07
The sight was probably filed to raise the POI with lighter weight commercial loads. The gun was designed around the original Brit 200gr bullet and throws low with anything else.

SWOHFAL
September 02, 2014, 00:30
The sight was probably filed to raise the POI with lighter weight commercial loads. The gun was designed around the original Brit 200gr bullet and throws low with anything else.

That was my thought, but wanted to see if all the Mk IVs have that stupid swaged in sight blade that can't be removed (at least intact) and replaced. The Mk VIs have a pinned-in patridge-type blade.

silenced46
September 02, 2014, 06:11
I had never seen one till I found this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Va6KHE0jEFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guy-epic
September 02, 2014, 12:50
Now I really want what I can't have nice video

Delta-3
September 02, 2014, 13:24
It's one of two "Grail Guns" for me.(the other is a Lewis gun) I've seen two. One in person. (a friend of a friend of a friend had one but wouldn't part with it & the other was on gunbroker a few years ago but way beyond my price range.

SWOHFAL
September 03, 2014, 01:19
Japanese overdub of Garry James shooting one from back in the days when History Channel programs were actually about History.

******** width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/X8UmQCbZXVo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/X8UmQCbZXVo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

M829A3
September 03, 2014, 12:30
That looks semi automatic to me. He is pulling the trigger each time.

Guy-epic
September 03, 2014, 22:09
Did some asking around and I found one locally. The owner said he would make me a great deal on it.....$12,500.00 ya that's not my idea of a great deal! But I almost wonder if I take a shot at seeing if I can see it, maybe shoot it? I would have to be up front and say if I buy it I get a divorce with it. Hmm

FUUN063
September 04, 2014, 02:10
If it were mine, I would be very worried about actually letting someone shoot it. What if a cylinder ruptures or bulges a barrel!!!!!:sad:

Anyway, this revolver is a kind of semi-automatic in that you pull the trigger and the cartridge fires and rotates the cylinder. It does this when the action moves to the rear on the handle (grip assembly). It's very cool. IIRC, the hammer is connected to a sort of strut that is fixed and the rearward movement causes it to cock again.

Leland
:fal:

SWOHFAL
September 04, 2014, 02:20
If it were mine, I would be very worried about actually letting someone shoot it. What if a cylinder ruptures or bulges a barrel!!!!!:sad:

Anyway, this revolver is a kind of semi-automatic in that you pull the trigger and the cartridge fires and rotates the cylinder. It does this when the action moves to the rear on the handle (grip assembly). It's very cool. IIRC, the hammer is connected to a sort of strut that is fixed and the rearward movement causes it to cock again.

Leland
:fal:

.455 is pretty low-powered stuff - only chance of that is a double charge (or using .38 Super in a .38ACP model).

ALL FAL
September 04, 2014, 03:19
Never seen one, interesting design, for the $$$ You should build one and chamber it in what you really want. :)

Guy-epic
September 04, 2014, 10:48
Never seen one, interesting design, for the $$$ You should build one and chamber it in what you really want. :)

Hey if I had my dream pistol 45acp or heck 44 special or mag. In this style now I need a master machinest that wants to work for free for a few weeks