PDA

View Full Version : CA shotgun legal question.

Guy-epic
August 26, 2014, 14:10
So I am doing a shop keepers double barrel shotgun for my friends shop in CA. I was going to cut barrel a little over 18 inches. Does anyone know what California's overall length law is? And and suggestions? Thanks guys. Also I had read overall 26 inches just want to confirm. If I do a 870 instead of a break shot gun how many shells can it hold?

SAFN49
August 26, 2014, 15:08
I would suggest you go to ca.gov and check it. I was talking to a guy I know in CA a while ago and they had some different rules.

Must have a 18" or longer barrel
Must be at least 26" in overall length
Can have a folding/collapsible stock OR a pistol grip, but not both on a Semiauto
CANNOT have: a detachable magazine, a revolving cylinder, or be a Franchi SPAS 12, LAW 12, Striker 12, or Streetsweeper

I think there were a couple more, but you could have 5 rounds in the tube as long as you were not hunting. Don't know about extended mag tube rules....

Guy-epic
August 26, 2014, 16:18
I would suggest you go to ca.gov and check it. I was talking to a guy I know in CA a while ago and they had some different rules.

Must have a 18" or longer barrel
Must be at least 26" in overall length
Can have a folding/collapsible stock OR a pistol grip, but not both on a Semiauto
CANNOT have: a detachable magazine, a revolving cylinder, or be a Franchi SPAS 12, LAW 12, Striker 12, or Streetsweeper

I think there were a couple more, but you could have 5 rounds in the tube as long as you were not hunting. Don't know about extended mag tube rules....

This is what I had found as well. I was just wondering if I had it correct? I have been on the website and they make it so easy to not understand. As in they want you to break laws so they can punish you. No kidding it is a joke to read and be sure you are legal

SAFN49
August 26, 2014, 19:26
This is what I had found as well. I was just wondering if I had it correct? I have been on the website and they make it so easy to not understand. As in they want you to break laws so they can punish you. No kidding it is a joke to read and be sure you are legal

He reloads a lot of 50BMG, which are not legal in CA, unless they are shot from a M2 or M3 semi belt fed, because a magazine fed 50BMG is sooooo much more deadly. He tried to explain that one to me. WTF???

HighRatMaster
August 26, 2014, 19:46
He reloads a lot of 50BMG, which are not legal in CA, unless they are shot from a M2 or M3 semi belt fed, .... WTF???

WTF is right, I think he may be mistaken on that.

SAFN49
August 26, 2014, 19:55
WTF is right, I think he may be mistaken on that.

He is a licensed ammo manufacturer operating in the state of CA. He claimed it was legal to shoot 50BMG from a belt fed, but not a bolt or semi rifle. Some loophole in the law. Just tellin you what he told me. Same way with NY and MD. The guy that bought one of my 1919A4's in MD said belt feds were the way to go no waiting periods. He could go in and pick up a RPD or 1919A4, but AK's and HK91's were illegal to buy... Go figure.

SAFN49
August 26, 2014, 20:12
You can't buy a FALO in NY but you can buy a M2 or M3 50BMG belt fed.
Because 50 cal belt feds are so much less deadly than FALO.....

Must be the pistol grips, flash hiders, and detachable mags :facepalm:

with a belt fed you just keep on linkin them together. :biggrin:

Just sayin.

HighRatMaster
August 26, 2014, 22:48
I did some research on CA law and it turns out it's not the feeding device (belt-box mag-single shot) that matters, it's whether it's shoulder fired or not.

Single shot 50 BMG rifle? Banned.

Belt fed M2 semi-auto? Good to go.

:facepalm:

SAFN49
August 26, 2014, 23:00
I did some research on CA law and it turns out it's not the feeding device (belt-box mag-single shot) that matters, it's whether it's shoulder fired or not.

Single shot 50 BMG rifle? Banned.

Belt fed M2 semi-auto? Good to go.

:facepalm:

Ok. Note to self; Scratch the M2 shoulder fired stock adapter R&D, patterned after the 1919A6 stock adapter..... Don't want to fu*k up the good loop holes.

dfletcher
September 05, 2014, 11:45
So I am doing a shop keepers double barrel shotgun for my friends shop in CA. I was going to cut barrel a little over 18 inches. Does anyone know what California's overall length law is? And and suggestions? Thanks guys. Also I had read overall 26 inches just want to confirm. If I do a 870 instead of a break shot gun how many shells can it hold?

This is the best sorce for CA gun laws:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

Here's a flow chart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

A pump action shotgun with a barrel length of 18" and OAL (measured in "stock closed" position) should be fine in CA. Mag capacity can not exceed 10 rounds.

Guy-epic
September 05, 2014, 14:38
This is the best sorce for CA gun laws:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

Here's a flow chart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

A pump action shotgun with a barrel length of 18" and OAL (measured in "stock closed" position) should be fine in CA. Mag capacity can not exceed 10 rounds.

So this is helpful, but it leaves me with one question. That is the part about no pistol grips. So if you take a single barrel shot gun with a 18 & 1/2 inch barrel that has a stock. You cut off the stock at the end of the grip, and have a overall length of 26 inches is that legal? Because the way I read it the answer is no as it's a pistol grip, or is it yes it's legal due to the angle? Omg this is stupid. But helpfull