PDA

View Full Version : 1903 A4 build, C stock question

mrclark303
August 26, 2014, 01:51
Morning all,

I am the proud owner of an A3 rebuilt to A4 spec, with an excellent quality repro C stock and red field mount, the rest is Original including a superb ( post War) Lyman Alaskan scope.

The rifle was built to this spec about 10 years ago by its previous owner......

Question for you (because I can't make my mind up) should I replace the repro stock with an original NOS "C" stock, there is a chance of buying one, would it increase the value or make no difference ???

Thoughts welcome guys ?

PS, accuracy is very pleasing, two inch groups at 200 yds, not bad from a two groove 1942 dated barrel!

MAINER
August 26, 2014, 08:15
Does the NOS have "cartouches" or other markings that would make it more desirable or ID it as an original?

I would be very tempted to buy the NOS as the stock is the only non-original part left. One should always have a spare for such a valuable rifle anyway. :devil:

tdb59
August 26, 2014, 09:42
No need to replace the stock.

Thomas
August 26, 2014, 10:50
Unless the receiver is an A4 there is no reason to change the stock.
Both A3 and A4 receivers are marked 03-a3.
The difference is that the A4 marking is spaced so that you can read all the markings with the scope mount inplace.

mrclark303
August 26, 2014, 17:19
Well I bought it guys.....way I figure it (apart from the scope mount) its the only non original, or at least non vintage part, should be with me in a few weeks, so do original mounts ever come up in the States or are they stupid money?!

Cheers John.

MAINER
August 27, 2014, 09:55
If they are anything like the scopes, even reproduction scopes, the cost will be quite ridiculous.

The only mounts I've seen lately are the RSM's made in china. I have no idea about the quality. I wonder if these are the same mounts that Gibbs Rifle Co. used on their 1903-A4 sniper rifle repro's.
http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Springfield-Rifle-Reproduction/dp/B00BOZ303E

I miss my '03 Springfield. :sad:
Sold to the collectors before I went nuts and screwed a Redfield receiver sight on it. :facepalm:

jdmcomp
August 27, 2014, 16:02
It will not increase the value of the rifle at all. A repro is always a repro and will not fool a collector. Any attempt to do so is fraud and I do not think you intend ever to do that. As said, the markings on the receiver are quite different and easily spotted. Changing the mount might make it look more authentic as will changing the scope to an original military scope. I would not bother as the money is lost. If you want an original pay the money but the cost of shooting it may be even higher as repairs to these scopes is difficult if not impossible.

I am not berating you at all, as I have several repro snipers and one on the way. I know I can shoot them without worry, and that the scopes will not be fogged and dull as an original most likely will be. I enjoy the experience of "being there and doing that" but with reproductions that cannot be harmed. Enjoy it for what it is. John McP

randy762ak
August 27, 2014, 18:36
A few years ago At A gun show in Montana I picked up a Scoped 03 at a dealers table and he said --Yep some one took a $1500.00 gun and turned it into a $300 dollar gun as I turned it I see the receiver is marked all the way on the side -Its an A4 turned into a hunting rifle ==I lacked the money to buy as I could easily restore it !

mrclark303
August 27, 2014, 18:57
Evening guys, the reason for changing the repro stock for the original stock is simply to create a period rifle, a new stock just doesn't sit right to me, in the same way as I wouldn't fit repro wood on my L1A1's or Enfield's.....not knocking anyone for doing that, its just my preference..... "New" is just out of place on a 70 year old rifle!

Value is always subjective, good Springfield A3's are difficult and expensive to find here and A4's are very rare in the UK, even the Gibbs builds, so from a UK perspective adding an original C stock will increase the value, but that's not the goal, as I don't intend to sell her ever!

Its a wonderful piece and the Alaskan is surprisingly good, with crisp optics.

Warbirds Custom Guns
September 24, 2014, 00:49
If they are anything like the scopes, even reproduction scopes, the cost will be quite ridiculous.

The only mounts I've seen lately are the RSM's made in china. I have no idea about the quality. I wonder if these are the same mounts that Gibbs Rifle Co. used on their 1903-A4 sniper rifle repro's.
http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Springfield-Rifle-Reproduction/dp/B00BOZ303E

I miss my '03 Springfield. :sad:
Sold to the collectors before I went nuts and screwed a Redfield receiver sight on it. :facepalm:

I owned a 03-A4 till 1999 when I sold it.
I have a set of original 3/4" rings somewhere if I can find them

mrclark303
October 06, 2014, 06:53
Morning guys,

Well I had fun and games fitting and finishing the original 1945 Keystone stock to my A4 sniper build on Sunday, the bolt cut out slot was a bit hair raising to create, but it all turned nice in the end...see pics..

The bedding required some adjustment, but I really wont know until I shoot it if I have bedded the old girl correctly...or not!

It was interesting comparing the Walnut Keystone to the modern ginger coloured beech stock fitted to my rifle, I must say the Keystone is a nicer fit in the hand, just that bit chunkier.

The bolt cut out slot is not to original specs, as my bolt is an adjusted post war replacement A3 example (with the large safety lug) and I wanted to ensure it wasn't mistaken for an original sniper A4 by anyone.

I am happy with the job and she looks so much better in original Walnut!

Cheers, John

mrclark303
October 06, 2014, 07:05
a few more stock comparison pics.....