PDA

View Full Version : 38 super

Bawana jim
August 19, 2014, 21:31
Have a chance to buy a colt 38 super made in 1968 that is 98%, (has the idiot mark on it). Book value is way up there but are these really worth the big bucks?

Vaughn L. Allen
August 19, 2014, 21:48
I love mine, wouldn't ever part with it.

MrM1A1
August 20, 2014, 11:37
Not with the idiot mark. What's the ask?

catmguy445
August 20, 2014, 12:53
.38 Supers have been widely overlooked by the shooting public for years in the United States, but the .38 Super is really an outstanding cartridge. Plus, the gun was made in the late 60's, when Colt was still taking some pride in their workmanship. I'd say that it's probably worth a fair amount of dough. It's also a little more rare than a 1968 vintage .45 ACP, so it should possibly be worth a little more, even with the idiot scratch on the frame.

Bawana jim
August 20, 2014, 13:41
Seller wants $1500, no box and one magazine.

catmguy445
August 20, 2014, 23:16
Seller wants $1500, no box and one magazine.

Hmm......not sure I'd cough up $1500 for that. You might make him a counter offer of somewhat less and see what happens. Do you have any idea if there are any other people interested in the gun?

Bawana jim
August 21, 2014, 09:45
I am the only one he has offered it too so far. It being a 1968 I am not sure it is old enough to be worth $1500. Blue book says its worth that but economy says it isn't. I have until Friday to make up my mind.

Guy-epic
August 21, 2014, 10:15
Sorry book or no book $1200 or walk, they make nice ones now and faster,and lighter

Bawana jim
August 21, 2014, 10:45
Sorry book or no book $1200 or walk, they make nice ones now and faster,and lighter

I keep thinking I could buy a really nice Kimber for that much money.

Guy-epic
August 21, 2014, 11:11
I keep thinking I could buy a really nice Kimber for that much money.

I am not a huge limber fan, I feel the new stuff the prices go up and quality has dropped a bit. Still a great choice. I don't think you are buying a piece of history. Plus if you are going to have a super 38 you are going to want to make it faster. So it's like buying a race horse and not taking it to a trainer to get it ready to race. Do you see what I mean? The super 38 is meant to be a race run. Low recoil, accurate, fast, and back on target. So mag well opening and trigger are a must IMO plus custom sights. Extended releases and rear beaver. Now what you are buying I wouldn't touch it as far as mods most have and stock is getting rarer. So value may go up in the future. Time will only tell but if you turn it into a race gun it's only worth what a guy that wants exactly what you will pay. I personally don't buy tricked out guns. I want to know what was exactly done to it.

Bawana jim
August 21, 2014, 11:58
Looking in the blue book one good scratch and the value drops $400. I am thinking you guys are right, it's a lot of money for what it is. Plus I could buy a new colt at Buds for about $960

Vaughn L. Allen
August 22, 2014, 18:22
I have a series 70 Commander and it's a great shooter. However, I wouldn't pay that much for one.

MAINER
August 23, 2014, 09:20
Does it need to be a Colt? Sig makes a good pistol and you don't have to pay $500 to have a pony on it.
http://www.kygunco.com/sig-sauer-1911-traditional-match-elite-stainless-5in-38-super-pistol-8-round-74357

I love Colt's, but you pay for the name.

Guy-epic
August 23, 2014, 10:11
Does it need to be a Colt? Sig makes a good pistol and you don't have to pay $500 to have a pony on it.
http://www.kygunco.com/sig-sauer-1911-traditional-match-elite-stainless-5in-38-super-pistol-8-round-74357

I love Colt's, but you pay for the name.

I talked my friend into a sig. Best money I never spent. I have shot it a lot and IMO better then any colt or Kimber. I love it. Sig has had some minor issues, but taking a existing gun and making it great isn't one of them.

hueyville
September 05, 2014, 01:36
As stated above, I also am not a Kimber fan. I have at least 2 1/2 dozen 1911 pattern pistols. At least half are Colts and the rest stuff like the original Detonics, Randals (only made for 2 years but fine pistols) and other rare varients. Seems like half the gun sbops I visit have 2 dozen Kimbers and it seems like they are trying to make a thousand different variations. Talk the guy into a fair price on the Colt super. Or tell him to PM me and I will try. Not too many old school Colts in super running around.

Texas Jaguar
September 05, 2014, 04:13
Its my understand older .38super pistols did not headspace on the case rim and suffered from relatively poor accuracy because of it. I'm not sure when or even if Colt began building .38Super pistols that headspaced in that manner. Of course, if its not destined to be a shooter, who cares?

Retired Bum
September 05, 2014, 17:47
My Colt Mark IV 70 Series .38 Super was purchased new by me in 1979 and it had the old style barrel where the case head spaced on the semi rim. As a result accuracy was plain downright horrible. I own a Ransom Rest and mounted the Colt in it and shot 130 grain FMJ made by Winchester at 25 yards. Ten shot groups averages twelve inches. Buckshot patterns in other words. This made the Colt absolutely useless IMHO.

So off to Barsto for one of their hand fitted stainless steel barrel/bushing units. Got the Colt back and gave it another go in the Ransom Rest with the same load. Two inch groups this time. Some of my handloads using good jacketed hollow point bullets like the 124 grain Hornady XTP would do a bit better at 1.5 inch.

IMHO the .38 Super is one of those cartridges almost lost in time. Today you can purchase factory loaded +P 9mm Luger 124 grain JHP that will give higher velocity than factory loaded .38 Super rounds such as the Winchester 125 grain Silvertip. I know this after several chronographing sessions with both rounds. BTW the 9mm pistol I used was a Browning Mark III High Power.

If you want the performance that the .38 Super is capable of then you have to buy such rounds as the Corbon 115 and 125 grain JHP's. These chrono at 1465 and 1390 fps in my Super. But they are expensive to purchase and sometimes very hard to find.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Texgunner
September 06, 2014, 22:38
Buy it, and remove that "idiot" mark with a Birchwood-Casey blueing pen.:|

D P Six
September 07, 2014, 10:01
Its my understand older .38super pistols did not headspace on the case rim and suffered from relatively poor accuracy because of it. I'm not sure when or even if Colt began building .38Super pistols that headspaced in that manner. Of course, if its not destined to be a shooter, who cares?

IIRC Colt started headspacing the 38 Super on the case mouth in the mid to late 1980's.

BigBoy1
September 10, 2014, 13:20
I am not a big fan of the 9x19mm cartridge. To me the best concealed carry ammunition would be the 7.62x25mm. For a while I did carry the CZ52 but it is not the best weapon for concealed carry. I spent much time trying to find a handgun which was in the 7.62x25mm caliber but had a double stacked magazine so there would be about twice the ammunition as the single stack magazine of the cz52. I never was able to find such a handgun.

I like the ballistics of the 7.62x25mm round so I started looking for rounds which were comparable ballistically with the 7.62x25mm round. The closest match I could find was the .38 Super round. In my search for a hand gun in that caliber, I discovered the EAA Tanfoglio Witness (CZ75 Clone) Stainless Steel Full Size handgun. It comes in .38 Super and has a 17 round magazine - Exactly what I was looking for! It is now my Concealed Carry handgun and I'm really pleased with it.

tbierley
September 10, 2014, 18:17
I love the 38 Super. I built a 1911 in 38 Super. The 38 Super is a 9MM Luger that has grown up.