PDA

View Full Version : First model 686?

August 19, 2014, 08:34
the local gun guy has a s&w, swivelling firing pin, 6" barrel, stainless, first model 686 (dashless) but i thought it said 666 on the frame but likely a 686. adjustable sights, 357 mag revolver. it looks brand new. nice wooden stocks, asking $650 for it. sound like a good deal?

W.E.G.
August 19, 2014, 09:18
Decent deal.

Especially since you can get it FTF w/o transfer fees and hassles.

I had one just like that.
Nice gun.

FUUN063
August 19, 2014, 14:11
Average sale price for around here. I couldn't quite get that out of mine, though, and carried it around for a while for sale. I also had the box and paperwork for mine.

Leland
:fal:

catmguy445
August 20, 2014, 23:55
I have a 4" 686, and it's one of my two favorite wheelguns (the other one is a Ruger Security Six). The price isn't the deal of the century, but it's not a bad price either, so if you like the gun, buy it before someone else does. I think you'll be very happy with it.

D P Six
August 21, 2014, 22:18
Just to note. There was a recall on 686 no dash & -1. It was in regards to the size of the hole in the recoil shield for the firing pin. IIRC when shooting magnums the primer could flow back and lock up the gun. S&W paid the shipping for years for the recall repair but I don't know if they still are. Those with the warrenty work done are stamped with an 'M'. I have shot thousands of rounds through my 686-1 with no problem but I only use 38 specials. My 686 snub nose round butt is one of my favorite revolvers.

4x401
August 21, 2014, 23:03
Just to note. There was a recall on 686 no dash & -1. It was in regards to the size of the hole in the recoil shield for the firing pin. IIRC when shooting magnums the primer could flow back and lock up the gun. S&W paid the shipping for years for the recall repair but I don't know if they still are. Those with the warrenty work done are stamped with an 'M'. I have shot thousands of rounds through my 686-1 with no problem but I only use 38 specials. My 686 snub nose round butt is one of my favorite revolvers.

It's funny you mentioning that. Way back when the L-frame made its debut as the 586, I bought one in the first months of production. I experienced the primer flow back a half dozen times..Locked the action up solid. I had to dis-assemble the lock work each time to fix it.

Never thought to send it back to Smith. Thought it was my own fault due to overzealous reloading.:rofl:

August 25, 2014, 08:45
nice to know - a little negotiating leverage is nice

W.E.G.
August 25, 2014, 08:55
I sent mine in.

Pic of the one I recently sold:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/SW%20686/686-modificationmarkings.jpg

When I bought it new, the salesman asked me to read-off the serial number for him for the 4473. I replied, "Does it REALLY say "AFRO 428???" He said "That probably means its defective."

I mean, what DO you say to that?

I took it anyway and went straight to the bar and had a beer.

At least a couple decades later, I discovered that the number was actually AFR-ZERO-428.
S&W doesn't do four-letter prefixes on 686 serial numbers.

Put about 2000 rounds through it over several years, then moved on to other guns. Finally cleaned it up as best I could, and sold it last year.

Ye olde topstrap erosion:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/SW%20686/686-flamecutting.jpg

SAFN49
August 25, 2014, 20:15
^^^^ You could have got top dollar for that in the neighborHOOD.

Retired Bum
August 26, 2014, 17:28
I bought my 686 no dash in November 1983 as a birthday gift to myself. Serial number AAH 88XX. A six inch barrel with the red ramp front sight and a white outline rear sight blade. I recall receiving a notice from S&W about the lock up problem using the Winchester 145 grain Silvertip factory load. I declined to send the 686 back in for the mod because I don't and never have used the Silvertip load.

I shoot mostly my handloads using the Lyman #358477 SWC that I cast myself over 10.0 grains of Blue Dot. This load chrono's at 1200 fps and is easy on the 686. I also load 158 grain JHP's over 12.0 grains of Blue Dot that does 1250 fps. No flame cutting on the top strap in 31 years of shooting.

The double action trigger was quite smooth out of the box and has just gotten smoother over the years. I own eight .357's at this time. Three N frames, two K frames, the 686, one Colt Python, and an old three screw Ruger Blackhawk. I like them all but if I could only have one then the 686 would be the keeper.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Kingtubby
August 27, 2014, 16:04
Love my 629. .44mag - 6". One of the Talo specials. I run 300gr xtp's thru it.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/upsetterythym/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps364b75b4.jpg

I paid $825 new. They do seem to hold their value though.

Eta - I will be strapping it in the beartooth this wknd...along with two extra speed loaders.

Second edit cause the guys below were right. Its a 629.

http://www.taloinc.com/images/SW-DS2-4.jpg

Retired Bum
August 27, 2014, 20:39
A 686 .44 Magnum????

No such critter. I know that there is a FIVE shot L frame .44 Magnum and I believe it is called the Model 69. Please correct me if this is wrong....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

catmguy445
August 28, 2014, 10:53
A 686 .44 Magnum????

No such critter. I know that there is a FIVE shot L frame .44 Magnum and I believe it is called the Model 69. Please correct me if this is wrong....

You're almost right. The model was a 696, and it was chambered for .44 Spl., not .44 Mag. I almost bought one, but since I already had a 24-3 Lew Horton .44 Spl., I passed on the 696. They've been discontinued for a while now, so I probably should have bought it when I had the chance. Live and learn, I suppose.

Retired Bum
August 28, 2014, 13:08
I know about the Model 696 because I bought one when they were introduced back in 1996. Still have it tucked away in the safe and every couple of years I take it out and run a box of my 240 grain LSWC handloads through it. I think that the reason it was dropped from production was that some owners were trying to turn the 696 into a magnum with hot .44 Special handloads with jacketed bullets.

The forcing cone on the 696 is somewhat on the thin side and I have seen photo's of the forcing cones split right up to the frame. I have never been able to understand why some shooters insist on trying to turn a low pressure round like the .44 Special into a .44 Magnum. If I want to shoot .44 Magnum level loads then that is the cartridge I use in one of my N frames like the 29-2 or the 629-3 Mountain Revolver I own. But there will always be those who just have to push the envelope and then wonder why something went wrong.

There is a S&W Model 69 stainless steel L frame with a five shot cylinder chambered for the .44 Magnum. I read about it some time ago on another forum.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Timber Wolf
August 28, 2014, 19:59
There is a S&W Model 69 stainless steel L frame with a five shot cylinder chambered for the .44 Magnum. I read about it some time ago on another forum. And so it goes. The Retired One

And if they did not have that dang lock I would own one.:(

4x401
August 28, 2014, 20:07
I know about the Model 696 because I bought one when they were introduced back in 1996. Still have it tucked away in the safe and every couple of years I take it out and run a box of my 240 grain LSWC handloads through it. I think that the reason it was dropped from production was that some owners were trying to turn the 696 into a magnum with hot .44 Special handloads with jacketed bullets.

The forcing cone on the 696 is somewhat on the thin side and I have seen photo's of the forcing cones split right up to the frame. I have never been able to understand why some shooters insist on trying to turn a low pressure round like the .44 Special into a .44 Magnum. If I want to shoot .44 Magnum level loads then that is the cartridge I use in one of my N frames like the 29-2 or the 629-3 Mountain Revolver I own. But there will always be those who just have to push the envelope and then wonder why something went wrong.

There is a S&W Model 69 stainless steel L frame with a five shot cylinder chambered for the .44 Magnum. I read about it some time ago on another forum.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

I used to follow S&W's "Gun of the month" offerings pretty close back in the day. But this 696 you speak of I've NEVER heard about before!:uhoh:

I would sure be obliged if you could post a few pictures of it..:love:

SWOHFAL
August 29, 2014, 12:44
I used to follow S&W's "Gun of the month" offerings pretty close back in the day. But this 696 you speak of I've NEVER heard about before!:uhoh:

I would sure be obliged if you could post a few pictures of it..:love:

http://vintagepistols.com/images/696-2.jpg

http://vintagepistols.com/images/696-1.jpg

Now another guy I'll have to compete with on the market looking for one. :(

4x401
August 29, 2014, 14:52
http://vintagepistols.com/images/696-2.jpg

http://vintagepistols.com/images/696-1.jpg

Now another guy I'll have to compete with on the market looking for one. :(

No not me brother. Waayyy to rich for my blood.

Nice looking gat though!:love:

Andy the Aussie
August 29, 2014, 16:53
A -3 not a no dash...but it is mine ... ;)

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/Andy_the_Aussie/New686Edit6.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Andy_the_Aussie/media/New686Edit6.jpg.html)

ALL FAL
August 30, 2014, 18:19
the local gun guy has a s&w, swivelling firing pin, 6" barrel, stainless, first model 686 (dashless) but i thought it said 666 on the frame but likely a 686. adjustable sights, 357 mag revolver. it looks brand new. nice wooden stocks, asking $650 for it. sound like a good deal?

I had one of those, at the time S+W was running hard to produce them fast enough, was a POS right out of the box, had to send it back as the barrel was canted, the frame was factory ruined so they replaced the whole pistol.
As far as a good deal, that is up to you in how bad do ya want it.

Good luck.

W.E.G.
August 30, 2014, 18:53
And if they did not have that dang lock I would own one.:(

I could live with (or defeat) the "lock."

Its that damn two-piece barrel that I will not abide.

W.E.G.
August 30, 2014, 18:58
...and while we are posting pics of guns that aren't no-dash 686's, here's my remaining 686 ("dash 5")that I got for $250 a few years ago. A local dealer got a big batch of police trade-in revolvers.

Some of you have heard already that I call this one "Stinkbutt."

That's because those squishy S&W-marked Hogue grips have absorbed the Eau-de-Doo-dah-Day perfume that the prior owner must have liked to wipe on it.

Behold:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/686-5/stinkbutt-smaller.jpg

Timber Wolf
August 31, 2014, 17:46
...and while we are posting pics of guns that aren't no-dash 686's, here's my remaining 686 ("dash 5")that I got for $250 a few years ago. A local dealer got a big batch of police trade-in revolvers.

Not a thing wrong with a good stainless (or blued) $250 "Magnum". Except that it has been a while since I tripped over one.:sad::sad: