PDA

View Full Version : Rejoining the club...Opinions..

rowjimmy
August 18, 2014, 07:36
OK, I'm a Glock guy and have owned one or two 1911's over the years but sold them. I'm picking up a used Kimber Tactical Custom HD II for $900 with around 200 rounds through it, with an added professional trigger job (3.5 lb), 3 mags, kydex holster and mag holder.

The seller let me shoot it yesterday at the steel plate match I was at and I smoked the plates with it, like I'd been shooting the gun my whole life. I think I ran it as quickly as I did with my Glock, but I attribute a lot of that to the trigger.

So, what do you guys think of the Kimber I reference? I'm thinking I made a good purchase. Opinions? It's a done deal, but figured I'd solicit opinions after the fact.

croftonaviation
August 18, 2014, 08:07
There are a lot of kimber haters out there. Fwiw I have a kimber stainless II that is 10 years old, that I love. If I was going to step off the porch to deal with a real issue I would have my L1A1 in my hands, and my kimber on my belt. I think you did ok money wise. Not a deal of the century trade, but fair for everyone involved.

Have fun shooting your new toy.;)now go smoke some more steel!

Tom

W.E.G.
August 18, 2014, 08:15
1911's -- Kimber or otherwise -- are cool guns.

I went through 5 different types that I actually owned - and shot a few others. They all bounced brass of my head.

If you've got one that doesn't bounce brass off your head, and you don't mind the size, and the heaviness and the limited magazine capacity, it sounds like you've got a keeper.

N4KVE
August 18, 2014, 10:08
At the LGS where I worked we had a display case full of brand new Kimbers with rusting barrels. We had to take them apart, oil the barrels, & rub them with 0000 steel wool. Next month, same deal again. This was only on the guns that had the bull barrels. After seeing this, I'll never own a Kimber. GARY

rowjimmy
August 18, 2014, 10:13
So, final price was $885 and he threw in 5 additional mags (3 Chip McCormick and 2 S&W), two kydex holsters, and a kydex mag pouch. I'm satisfied. Now I just need to get some ammo :wink:

I think I did OK. I'll be interested to see if it groups well, but it's not like it's a Bullseye gun.

rowjimmy
August 18, 2014, 10:17

If you've got one that doesn't bounce brass off your head, and you don't mind the size, and the heaviness and the limited magazine capacity, it sounds like you've got a keeper.

I had a Charles Daley which bounced the brass off of my head and sold it. It started doing this after a number of rounds through the gun, so I figured it was an ejector issue (wear?)

It is heavy, and for a single stack, seems as wide in my hands as my Glock (or wider) and it is limited capacity, but I'm thinking of starting to shoot some CDP in IDPA, so I figured this was the ticket. It should at least hold most of it's resale value.

DJ
August 18, 2014, 17:40
My Double Eagle loves to bounce brass off my forehead. Right smack dab betwixt the lookers, just above the bridge of my nose. It does get to be a bit of a distraction.

Olaf
August 18, 2014, 21:16
The kimbers I have shot ran great, and accurate to boot, I think you did ok.

All you with the brass smacking you in the grape, you guys shooting gangsta style? keep the sights on the top and it won't do that.

Steve in Allentown, PA
August 19, 2014, 15:56
I know this is not a dedicated 1911 gunsmithing forum but thought I'd offer this.

For you guys who are sufferiing from brass between the eyes, smack in the middle of the forehead, or dinging off your ears the problem is with your extractor/ejector. The only way for the brass to come straight back at you is that it's being batted by the forward edge of the ejection port as the slide moves to the rear.

For the case to be struck by the slide requires the case not to have cleared the ejection port in a timely fashion. If the extractor loses control of the case before it smacks the ejector, the case will often end up floating free until it gets hit by the forward edge of the ejection port.

If the case does impact the ejector correctly but then gets pushed directly into the side of the slide below the ejection port, it will bounce back into the path of the rearward moving slide which will then bat it directly back at you.

It's all a question of the geometry of the extractor and to a lesser extent the ejector.

I'll offer $20 for any 1911 that is bouncing brass off your noggin. I'll then spend another $40 for a new heavy duty EGW extractor, tweak it a little, and never experience the pain of hot brass bouncing off my tender skin.

Don't suffer in silence. Lots of guys know how to fix this issue.

Wildcat
August 19, 2014, 22:56
At the LGS where I worked we had a display case full of brand new Kimbers with rusting barrels. We had to take them apart, oil the barrels, & rub them with 0000 steel wool. Next month, same deal again. This was only on the guns that had the bull barrels. After seeing this, I'll never own a Kimber. GARY

Stainless barrels?

catmguy445
August 20, 2014, 11:23
I have a Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless, and one of the first things I did after buying it was to replace the factory sear and hammer (the hammer had a casting flaw in it) with a sear and hammer from Cylinder & Slide Shop. I like the gun a lot better now.

From what the OP said, it sounds like the Kimber he bought will do what he wants it to do, so I think he probably got a decent deal.

Bruce Allen
August 20, 2014, 19:18
1911's -- Kimber or otherwise -- are cool guns.

I went through 5 different types that I actually owned - and shot a few others. They all bounced brass of my head.

Get a longer ejector.
My brother had the same problem and someone correctly advised him how to solve the problem.