PDA

View Full Version : full auto fn fal ?

NOMADCHRIS
August 18, 2014, 01:42
Hi all next year I will be moving to a free state and out of California. I am going to buy a FA/MG. I've been looking at either a m60 or a AK47 in full auto.
Then I had a epiphany what about a full auto FN FAL. I realized I know nothing about FAL's. what should I look for in a full auto FAL and what is the shortest effective barrel length?

I have shot tons in semi auto!

John A
August 18, 2014, 23:11
OK, I'll bite.

What is your gun budget?

okiefarmer
August 18, 2014, 23:21
Walmart stocks them occasionally, but you have to ask the manager specifically for his off-book inventory.:bow::bow::uhoh::uhoh:

Thundermaker
August 19, 2014, 01:00
Full auto FALs aren't famous for being very controllable.

NOMADCHRIS
August 19, 2014, 01:06
my budget is $25,000

John A
August 19, 2014, 06:39
Doubt you'll find an M60 in your price range.

AK and AR will be no problem.

Full auto Fals have been around the $9-$12k mark for a while.

Though as has been said, the 308 version are not one of the better shooting guns out there.

As for the Fal, they can be made to function alright with barrels in the 16-18 inch range if you didn't like the long barrel that they usually come with.

Sampson1986
August 19, 2014, 15:59
Full auto Fals have been around the $9-$12k mark for a while.

I'd jump on a $9-$12k transferable FAL in a country minute.

$15k+ seems to be standard anymore.

John A
August 19, 2014, 16:23
There was one on GB about 4 months ago I was looking at with a starting bid of $9500. It sold for under $10k.

Another on there right now in the mid 13's. no bids and I saw one on another site for less than that, but dont' recall where it was. Sturm maybe?

The Fals I mentioned were on Form 4's so weren't dealer samples.

There are still some deals to be found out there. Just gotta be patient sometimes and be prepared to jump at a moments notice.

But given the 3 choices the OP listed, I'd rather have the AK.

Sampson1986
August 19, 2014, 17:03
There was one on GB about 4 months ago I was looking at with a starting bid of $9500. It sold for under $10k.

Damnit. I missed that one. :devil:

There are still some deals to be found out there. Just gotta be patient sometimes and be prepared to jump at a moments notice.

Very true.

Guy-epic
August 19, 2014, 17:11
Yep ak would be the best choice as you are going to burn up ammo fast real fast

NOMADCHRIS
August 20, 2014, 18:48
AK it is than. Its may favorite gun anyway. plus when I shoot the barrel out I plan on changing the rifle to a AKS 74U

P.I. Staker
August 20, 2014, 19:36
AK it is than. Its may favorite gun anyway. plus when I shoot the barrel out I plan on changing the rifle to a AKS 74U

That won't work.

Unless you start with a transferable AK74.

NOMADCHRIS
August 20, 2014, 22:16
it can and has been done

NOMADCHRIS
August 20, 2014, 22:17
I just need a aks 74u kit

SAFN49
August 21, 2014, 10:19
it can and has been done

If the paper work states 7.62x39 and you change it to 5.45x39, that's a no no according to the ATF.

You can do it with a AR, 1919, or MG42. You can just swap parts, burn through a few mags/belts and swap back. You are not permanently changing caliber.

kev
August 21, 2014, 13:38
There you go again. :facepalm: A permanent caliber change is allowed,........just notify ATF of the change.

Something along the lines of,.......

Hey ATF Dudes and Dudettes:

AK serial number xxxxxxxxxx registered to me has been permanently modified to eat 5.45x39 because it's cheap and I have a bunch of it. Please reflect the caliber change in the registry and party on!!

No begging or approving needed.

You do know that 90% of the transferable AK's in the country started out registered in .223, right? And that 99% of those are now either 7.62 or 5.45.

John A
August 21, 2014, 13:42
If the paper work states 7.62x39 and you change it to 5.45x39, that's a no no according to the ATF.

Nope

There you go again. :facepalm: A permanent caliber change is allowed,........just notify ATF of the change.

AK serial number xxxxxxxxxx registered to me has been permanently modified to eat 5.45x39 because it's cheap and I have a bunch of it. Please reflect the caliber change in the registry and party on!!

Yep

SAFN49
August 21, 2014, 16:10

You do know that 90% of the transferable AK's in the country started out registered in .223, right? And that 99% of those are now either 7.62 or 5.45.

I heard they were cracking down on model changes. OP said he was going AK47 to AKS74U

c. 7.62 d. Model AK47 e. bbl length 16" f. overall length 34.3"
on the form4 is not the same as
c. 5.45 d. AKS74U e. bbl length 9" f. overall length 19.3"

Kinda makes a difference if asked to see your form 4.

Sampson1986
August 21, 2014, 19:46
I heard they were cracking down on model changes. OP said he was going AK47 to AKS74U

Serial number, model, manufacturer, and any receiver markings stay the same. Probably not a big deal.

Can't Johnny Law just call the NFA branch and confirm registration?

SAFN49
August 21, 2014, 19:59
Serial number, model, manufacturer, and any receiver markings stay the same. Probably not a big deal.

Can't Johnny Law just call the NFA branch and confirm registration?

I can't build a MG13 from a Sten tube.

kev
August 21, 2014, 20:14
No, but you can build a Sterling from a STen tube. Or you can take a MkII tube and make a MkV from it. Look at all the chopped down, cut up, and belt-fed conversions to HK receivers. You can make permanent changes to caliber, OAL, barrel length,...............you just need to notify ATF of the changes. If the changes aren't 'permanent' no notification is necessary.

Are we going to spend the next two weeks refuting your contention that the earth is flat,.......again?

MG Johnny
September 05, 2014, 09:45
my budget is $25,000

I have an Izzy HB Transferable Fal With enough spare Parts to last a lifetime.
I'll take $25,000. Worth every penny.PM me.Better than an AK.
Johnny
http://youtu.be/-vY_hTI4xRM

gates
September 06, 2014, 00:22
How many of you actually have stamped items? NO ONE carries their original stamped form with them - always photo copies...

SPEEDGUNNER
September 06, 2014, 07:38
If you think a day at the range with a semi-auto chews up ammo wait until you spend a day with a full-auto...if you can find a range that even allows it. A FA FAL would be really cool, but .308 can be pricey when you do a 20rd mag dump.

BigBoy1
September 06, 2014, 09:13
I have a selective fire FAL and shooting with the 7.62x51mm ammo is OK but to really have fun is to get a .22LR conversion kit and shoot the FAL in full-auto with .22LR. The conversion kit made by H&K (the one I have) has worked flawlessly for the 30+ years I've had it. I'm not concerned about .22LR ammo as I bought a very large quantity when it was a few cents a round so I have a life time supply. The only real problem it that the 20rd. magazines are emptied very fast.

There is a place currently making .22LR conversion kits so getting one of them would be the way to go.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316192&highlight=FAL+Kit+Group+Buy

John A
September 06, 2014, 09:32
Where do you find bulk 22 ammo?

Where you do find bulk 22 ammo affordably?

I had a Mac 10 22 conversion. It was fun, but not as fun as shooting the big stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKOxm7EMadA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIGIKZ6B9Q

doneill
September 06, 2014, 12:03
I enjoy shooting my FAL HB.

You have a choice between apples and oranges. Apples - a light shoulder fired rifle. Varieties of apples, intermediate to full power cartridges (308/30-06) or lesser powered cartridges 7.62x39 5.45x39 or 5.56x45. Other variations are barrel lengths and furniture types. Of these calibers the cheapest to shoot is the 5.45x39 with 7.62x39 next, 5.56 most expensive. You might even consider the .30 carbine, which is WWII classic but ammo can be problematic.

The oranges are those rifles fired off a bipod. I have shot the BAR, M14 and FAL FA off the shoulder and it was hard for me to keep a burst on target but all got the first one or two rounds where I aimed. Others do better than I do. By contrast, the BAR, FAL HB and M14 E2 on bipods on the ground seemed to be pretty good at putting a burst into a well defined area. At times shooting next to a Browining 1919 on a tripod, I was clearly getting hits in a smaller area at about 200 yds. He hit the refrigerator and all around it. I hit the bottom half of the refrigerator with a few hits nearby.

If I had my druthers I would have a 7.62 x39 lmg, based on an AK frame, either an RPK or a Valmet equivalent. That caliber is easy to control, cheap and plentiful. They are harder to come by and often more expensive than a FAL. For me the FAL was the best buy and a good choice,but my budget was lower than yours.

Pick whether you want apples or oranges and it sounds like you are more into loud noise and flash than I am and a Krink might be your ticket. I am not an expert on what ATF will allow and I would not presume to say what they would say to a particular question given that there response can change subject to change as the political winds blow.

I believe that if you buy an AK47 you do not want to change the designation of the gun on the Form 4 or on the receiver if you change the caliber to 5.45x39. I think that the key question for that conversion is whether the 5.45 barrel will fit in the 7.62x39 trunion. I think that ATF would not approve a replacement of the trunion but precedent suggests that they would allow a caliber change, barrel length change (along with associated parts, bolt carrier, bolt, gas tube, forend) and replacement of magazine catch parts) as long as the receiver itself is not changed. Modifications to the Stemple 76/45, MAC 10 and 11 and Sten would be precedents precedents.

Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your decision.

Dave O'Neill

BigBoy1
September 07, 2014, 05:26
Where do you find bulk 22 ammo?

About 18-20 years ago I bought 50,000 rounds of .22LR for a few cents a round. That was to be my life time supply. I still have much of it left and it is for my shooting pleasure only. None is for sale!

Super Dakę
September 12, 2014, 16:33
No, but you can build a Sterling from a STen tube. Or you can take a MkII tube and make a MkV from it.

Not to hijack this thread, but the BATF might be changing with the wind again on this issue. My DLO tube Sterling MK IV build was approved as a MK IV (as one would expect, built in late '08). My latest DLO tube Sterling MK V (with a S/N only 34 units from my first MK IV) build was approved (form 3, to my dealer, built this year), but it has a remark that it needs to be changed to a MK II instead of MK IV (since the suppressor is considered by them as the MK V part, the actual tube/gun would still be a MK IV). I don't get that.....They know it's a MK IV 'cus they approved the MK V at the same time, which clearly states that it is attached to the gun. It appears to be a different examiner than all my previous transfers, might be why...but I don't know if I should call them and ask questions, or just leave t alone.
On a side note, the transfers (paper) were much faster than expected, so maybe my SAR 48 izzy HB will be approved this year...
2 more SAR 48s on GB right now, not HB (one with a S/N only 4 units from my HB)

John A
September 12, 2014, 18:28
Are you the manufacturer?

Form 1?

If so, you can call it anything you want.

The manufacturer gets to decide the model, serial, and everything else about it.

You could call it one eyed purple people eater if that's what suited your fancy at the time.

stimpsonjcat
September 12, 2014, 19:58
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/FA_FAL.jpg

I am very fond of my FA SAR.

I do plan to make it shoot 7.62x25 at some point. Via a meeper style QC barrel system.

Super Dakę
September 13, 2014, 01:09
Are you the manufacturer?

Form 1?

If so, you can call it anything you want.

The manufacturer gets to decide the model, serial, and everything else about it.

You could call it one eyed purple people eater if that's what suited your fancy at the time.

KGB Armament is the manufacturer (Andrewski did the MK IV part of the build) but the tube was already registered by DLO, w/ a S/N that can't be changed (suppressor S/N was what I decided to give it). Technically, I don't know/think if they do a Form 1 for the tube part of the build, since it's already registered....When Andrewski did my first MK IV, he started the Form 3 transfer as soon as he got the tube, so I don't think a Form 1 is done for the build, but I'm just a purchaser, no FFL or SOT etc...

doneill
September 13, 2014, 23:12
KGB and Andrewski handled the rebuild of my Stenling Mk5 that was butchered by well known Fl. Stenling maker. He does great work. I had used a DLO tube in the first place. You will have a first rate gun and be very happy!

Dave

hueyville
September 17, 2014, 21:40
Since an M60 is on your possible list weight I guess is not a huge issue. Do a FN G1 and buy lots of original magazines. I love mine and built a semi-auto after as a backup if the Class III unit took a dump when ot was needed most. Been meaning to buy an X-FAL drum magazine to see if it would run in my G1's o.k. Only found 1 out of the three 100 round drums I have purchased for FAL's run good in FAL's and it works in the semi G1 but has trouble in the Class III G1. Anyone used the X mags in a G1?

pmf
September 18, 2014, 11:36
Although they've skyrocketed in price, you could still get a M-16 on your budget. The M-16 pretty much rules with the machine gun crowd as a favorite gun to have. There are endless variations and add-ons.

Prices have been really odd lately. Some guns like the M-16 and the uzi have really jumped, while others like the Thompson have barely budged. I think belt feds are dropping in price. You could get an uzi and a Thompson for around that money as well. Subguns eat cheaper ammo and are easier to suppress. Sooner or later, the craziness in the 22 market has got to stop and it will get cheaper again. A gun that shoots 22, like the uzi or M-16 can be pretty fun.

Lee Carpentieri
September 18, 2014, 21:59
Maybe a converted AR 15 to M16, But even they have gone up to 18K as of late and I would Never buy an Olyimpic or SGW AR 15 converted to M16 specs as they aren't even a Mil-Spec receiver to begin with at all and were the worst Ar's ever made.Uzi's have gone up to 12K as of late and even the Vectors have climbed in price. Now unless we go into a major depression as the price of Gold is hitting a low on the spot markets right now, I would say if when you after you move next year and you still have 25K to spend, I would buy an Uzi and maybe a FNC, Then you would have the start of two NFA weapons, Plus transfer fee's. With the Uzi you can find conversion parts from .22 cal to 9mm,41AE and 45 cal and if you have days or indoor ranges that don't allow 5.56x45mm at least you can go indoors and shoot 9mm for pretty cheap. I found Geco 9mm for 250.00 a thousand out the door at a Orlando, Fl. Gunshow last month and the guy said he's the new Geco importer and this was his retail price. It sure beats wally world right now. Plus when you start buying F/A NFA weapons you learn real fast to buy by the thousand round cases when funds are available.

Thundermaker
September 18, 2014, 22:32
If you want to go from 7.62x39 to 5.45x39 in an AK, you're going to have to replace the bolt, bolt carrier (which means you'll need to find a FA one, I think), the lower rails in the receiver, and, I'm pretty sure, the barrel trunion. That's just what I know of. You'd pretty much be building another AK on that receiver.

BigBoy1
September 19, 2014, 06:16
Subguns eat cheaper ammo and are easier to suppress. Sooner or later, the craziness in the 22 market has got to stop and it will get cheaper again. A gun that shoots 22, like the uzi or M-16 can be pretty fun.

A FAL which shoots .22LR full-auto is a very much fun gun to shoot!

With the new .22LR conversion kits being built for the FAL, a Full-auto FAL can be easily converted to shoot the .22LR. That is what I did with mine. I don't think I've shot 7.62x51mm ammo in my selective-fire FAL in over 20 years!

gunplumber
September 19, 2014, 09:03
I sold my sideplate Vickers for $16,500, which was about 20% low I think. With $20k to spend, you could get a nice water-cooled MG.

I've owned several full auto FALs and after the first 500 rounds, they become rather boring.

With your budget, the most versatility would be an HK sear. You could buy a .308, a .223, and an SBR 9mm, and a SP89 and have some money left over for ammo.

Yeah. Ammo.

Uzis remain the best value in my opinion. I sold most last transferable for $8500 - had a lot of accessories. But I wanted a Polaris Ranger, and actually use the Ranger weekly, while I'd shoot the Uzi a couple times a year.

greenpeas
September 19, 2014, 13:40
I'd purchase whatever gives you the most caliber conversions and accessories. That being said an AR/M16 would probably be the most versatile. There are parts/conversions galore for those rifles and they're pretty cheap (the parts not the rifles).

I have a registered Uzi and an M11/9. I can shoot .22, 9mm, .45 and 7.62x25. There's a lot of great stuff available for the M11/9 from Richard Lage (max11.com)

I've built and owned lots of FALs but I don't think I would consider purchasing a registered FAL.

The neat thing about the M16 is that it makes a great machinegun & subgun. There aren't many guns that you can do that with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEpwk9JukM

stimpsonjcat
September 19, 2014, 14:31
I have a registered Uzi and an M11/9. I can shoot .22, 9mm, .45 and 7.62x25. There's a lot of great stuff available for the M11/9 from Richard Lage (max11.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEpwk9JukM

Which uses the 7.62x25?

I am planning to do a meeper-style QC bbl arrangement on my FA FAL and have setups for 7.62x25, 5.45, and 308 of course.

doneill
September 20, 2014, 09:21
on the FAL caliber conversions. Who does them? Approximate cost? How well do they work? I like the .308, but a caliber change kit to 5.56x45 or one of the Russian calibers might be justifiable on ammo costs alone.

thanks

Dave O'Neill

doneill
September 20, 2014, 09:38
found posts from 2003 to 2014 on the Meeper conversion and Vern Smith's 2006 contact information.

Is he still in business or is anyone else doing these conversions commercially?

Dave

Big Dog
September 20, 2014, 22:55
You should shoot a full-auto FAL before you buy one. I have shot each configuration. The carbine was brutal, the rifle was uncontrollable and the LMG was HEAVEN!

You could pick up an M-16 and an M-11 for your budget. That can get you everything from a .22 machine pistol to a 7.62x39 LMG just by swapping out parts. You cant go wrong with an UZI... Even a crappy Sten or Spitfire can be TONS of fun. Look into the MK-760s as well. They are a great sub-gun, but get so respect. Thus, they are relatively cheap.

While you are doing the transfer process you might also look at some suppressors and SBRs.

Welcome to the addiction.

Keith (Big Dog)

stimpsonjcat
September 21, 2014, 20:36
found posts from 2003 to 2014 on the Meeper conversion and Vern Smith's 2006 contact information.

Is he still in business or is anyone else doing these conversions commercially?

Dave

I do not know...sorry.

greenpeas
September 22, 2014, 08:43
Which uses the 7.62x25?

I am planning to do a meeper-style QC bbl arrangement on my FA FAL and have setups for 7.62x25, 5.45, and 308 of course.

I have an M11/9 with a sten magwell & Lage slowfire upper. The conversion uses modified Sten mags. It works ok. I'd like to try some factory ammo sometime, it seems the milsurp stuff is charged inconsistently and the ROF is all over the place with an open bolt gun.

If it were today, I'm not sure I'd mess with the conversion given the price of 7.62x25.

stimpsonjcat
September 22, 2014, 14:49
I have an M11/9 with a sten magwell & Lage slowfire upper. The conversion uses modified Sten mags. It works ok. I'd like to try some factory ammo sometime, it seems the milsurp stuff is charged inconsistently and the ROF is all over the place with an open bolt gun.

If it were today, I'm not sure I'd mess with the conversion given the price of 7.62x25.

Agreed, if I didn't have a bunch of the milsurp I wouldn't bother.

If I can get the 7.62x25 to run as a gas gun it's gonna be stupid fun.

W.E.G.
September 22, 2014, 17:18
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PVfwFP_RwTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thundermaker
September 22, 2014, 18:22
Agreed, if I didn't have a bunch of the milsurp I wouldn't bother.

If I can get the 7.62x25 to run as a gas gun it's gonna be stupid fun.

The head diameter of 7.62x25 is between .223 and 9mm. I wonder if you could take a .223 bolt, mill the locking lug off it, and flip the gas plug over. This would turn the gun into a blowback action. You could weld the bolt into a carrier so that it won't slide around, and the full force of the blowback would be applied to cycle the gun.

stimpsonjcat
September 23, 2014, 15:44
I already made an AR that shoots 7.62x25 as a gas gun...hopefully it can be done in the FAL, springs and bolt weight may conspire against me.

Thundermaker
September 23, 2014, 17:21
You'd probably have to use a really short gas system like the ones DSA had on that 8" FAL they used to make. Seems to me you'd have an easier and cheaper time making it a blowback. I've been doing some thinking. You could get an old AR15 bolt. Just a bolt. Then, you could grind/mill/whatever the locking lugs off (so it'll clear the bits in the receiver. You could fix that into an old FAL bolt carrier (don't want to bugger a nice one). You could also use this assembly for 9mm if you were so inclined. Making it a blowback gets around that bolt weight/spring issue. It's also a lot easier to engineer. It saves a lot of machining on the barrel too. You don't even need a gas system, just a front sight.

Aw crap. Anybody got one of those aluminum receivers and an old magazine body? I won't be able to let this go.

Lee Carpentieri
September 23, 2014, 21:22
Thundermaker, You should really look at what Imbel has done with the Fal receiver. They changed to a rotary M16 bolt design with the Fal receiver/Barrel and bolt carrier and totally did away with the 7.62x51mm Fal design as the Brazilian govt. has gone to the 5.56x45mm as the rest of the world has done or is going too. It will just be a matter of time before the Brazilian Military gets the new weapons and then the National Brazilian Police also get the new weapon.
http://www.imbel.gov.br/

Thundermaker
September 23, 2014, 22:00
That takes me to the main page. I have no idea what any of that says. I have an idea how it could be done.

The rest of the world can have the 5.56. I'll stick to 30 Cal. No double taps required:shades:

This has me thinking. I'm liking the idea of a 16" upper in 45 ACP to go on my imbel lower. I know it would be classified as a separate gun. I'm thinking all I need is a front receiver stub to use as a trunion and the bolt head from something in the .308/'06 family. Hmmmmm.

Stranger
September 23, 2014, 23:16
Here is a view with pictures of the internals.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/25/brazils-imbel-ia2-service-rifle-disassembled/

It is amazing how much of the original FAL design they kept. It still has "the look" of the original.

Thundermaker
September 23, 2014, 23:41
So basically, they took an FAL upper, scaled it down, modified it to take an AR15 barrel, and put an AR magazine well on it.

We wants it. We needs the precioussssssss.

Invictus77
October 11, 2014, 09:23
I saw a transferrable FN FAL for sale at Knob Creek yesterday. I am 99% certain it is the same one I saw for sale at the shoot last October. He was asking $17,500.

Sampson1986
October 11, 2014, 13:41
I saw a transferrable FN FAL for sale at Knob Creek yesterday. I am 99% certain it is the same one I saw for sale at the shoot last October. He was asking $17,500.

What other goodies were for sale at the Creek this year?

stimpsonjcat
October 13, 2014, 14:47
You'd probably have to use a really short gas system like the ones DSA had on that 8" FAL they used to make. Seems to me you'd have an easier and cheaper time making it a blowback. I've been doing some thinking. You could get an old AR15 bolt. Just a bolt. Then, you could grind/mill/whatever the locking lugs off (so it'll clear the bits in the receiver. You could fix that into an old FAL bolt carrier (don't want to bugger a nice one). You could also use this assembly for 9mm if you were so inclined. Making it a blowback gets around that bolt weight/spring issue. It's also a lot easier to engineer. It saves a lot of machining on the barrel too. You don't even need a gas system, just a front sight.

Aw crap. Anybody got one of those aluminum receivers and an old magazine body? I won't be able to let this go.

Jerry has an aluminum receivered FAL that is blowback 7.62x25.

Ground bolt and pinned IIRC.

I may do something similar when I get to that project just to save time.

AZ Dave
October 23, 2014, 20:08
A full auto FAL is more controllable than you would think. I shot one owned by Derek at Azex arms and was shocked by the controllability. It had an 18" bbl with a Belgian combo device. The AR would be more versatile than a FAL and cheaper to shoot. The smile from the FAL is hard to wipe off though.

Kpdpipes
November 07, 2014, 17:25

The issue with that was the guy cutting up registered M-11 and M-10's and welding the serial number onto a 1919a4 RSP, turning a $5k SMG into a $25K Beltfed LMG

stimpsonjcat
November 09, 2014, 23:52
The issue with that was the guy cutting up registered M-11 and M-10's and welding the serial number onto a 1919a4 RSP, turning a $5k SMG into a $25K Beltfed LMG

That's pretty damn smart IMO!

So they say you can't do that anymore?

BigBoy1
November 19, 2014, 07:21
That's pretty damn smart IMO!

So they say you can't do that anymore?

You can write to guys who were doing the swap jobs but make sure to get the address of the Federal Prison correct!