PDA

View Full Version : Ishapore Enfield metal finish

ExpatAussie
August 12, 2014, 22:19
Took delivery of my Gunbroker purchase today - a 1966 Ishapore enfield 2A1.

It's in reasonable shape for it's age. The action is tight and the bore is bright with decent rifling.

The biggest issue with it is the condition of the metal finishing. It's a mottle of bare metal, black paint and parkerization.

My question to the list is what was the original finish for the Ishapore? If memory serves correctly, Enfield No1 MkIII rifles came from the factory parkerized - at least all the enfields I've ever seen did. But most Ishapores I've seen pix of were painted black.

If I have the rifle sandblasted and refinished, should I go for paint, parkerized or bluing? I eventually want this rifle to look like it just came off the line, If I can get it that way.

Dazed and Confused
August 12, 2014, 23:45
RFI painted their rifles.
So if you want to make it look original then paint it.

Once I have mine the way I want it I'll paint it with hi-temp automotive paint. Duplicolor semigloss black.
Disassemble rifle, prep and paint metal. After application let it air dry (dries fast) then bake it out at 350* F for about an hour or two. Remove from oven, let cool, reassemble. Looks great!

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mUv2KZrJ5Xmya2Rw0LwS0TA.jpg

Brian in MN
August 13, 2014, 00:09
It depends when the rifle was made. I have a 1939 Ishapore with a beautiful blue finish. The pre-WWII rifles made when the Brits ran the factory were super nice.

Topbanana
August 13, 2014, 00:16
Usual commonwealth procedure for the era, (stoving) paint over park.

RG Coburn
August 13, 2014, 06:58
Were me,I'd use something like Cerokote in a shade of black.

ExpatAussie
August 13, 2014, 14:46
What I really want to do is make the Ishapore into a No1 MkIII lookalike.

I wanted a lithgow .303 but as you all know, you can't get .303 ammo or brass for love nor money. So an ishy seems an excellent alternative. I just want it to LOOK like the rifles of my youth. :)

Sooo... at the risk of infuriating the purists among us, does anyone know if:
a) a standard enfield mag will fit an ishy?
b) ditto the barrel cap?

Regarding the metalwork, I think sandblasting back to bare metal and reparkerizing to start. Painting will wait until I decide the Genuine ishy vs ersatz .303 question. I understand from the replies that the paint was applied OVER a parkerize finish?

Gazz
August 13, 2014, 18:02
Years ago I sold the wood from a 2A to a guy who needed it for his No.3. He said it fit fine but I never saw it. I do not think the magazines are interchangeable but I never tried. Remember that one is designed around a rimmed cartridge and the other is not - there will most likely be feeding issues.