View Full Version : Educate me on the AUG please.

July 30, 2014, 21:14
I have a well heeled friend that I am unable to talk out of an AUG. No offense intended to anyone who is a fan. I personally don't care for the handling and feel of any bullpup so clearly I am biased against and you can call me ignorant or no taste in rifles or whatever. Never the less the man is my friend and I want to help him buy the right version or iteration. Would the cognoscenti of all things AUG please talk to me and tell me straight. Does Steyr in Alabama produce the real deal so to speak with CHF barrel and accepting NATO mags. What is the best choice availability for my friend. ALL contributions to my education very much appreciated. Educate me please.

July 30, 2014, 22:43

Have him buy a current A3, good value and a nice gun. If he wants exclusivity and high cost look for an original A1. USR's are nice but pretty ugly.

July 31, 2014, 08:01
Thank you kindly for the reply.

July 31, 2014, 09:41

Go here for good prices and lots of info. This guy is Mr AUG.

July 31, 2014, 15:38
What is the best choice availability for my friend. ALL contributions to my education very much appreciated. Educate me please.

I have service experience with AUG A1's (F88), own a 93XXXX SN'd A1 pre ban import, along with an A3 that was later modded by Pete into an A3 CQC.

I would suggest he hold out on the purchase until the A3 M1 is released in the not too distant future. He will then have the ability to buy it with an A1 style optic, that is removable and interchangeable with both long and short picatinny rails while retaining the forward integrated sling swivel.

The A3 M1 is more like an A2 or USR Special receiver that has the A1 integrated 1.5x optic look, but versatility of being able to add any aftermarket optic. This will also have better balance than the soon to be obsolete A3, and be closer to the A1 which is very neutral.

A3 receiver looks ugly by itself, CQC makes it sexy and tacticool but f's up the balance and adds notable weight. My CQC may find it's way onto GB once the M1 is out.....

But as mentioned, contact Pete Athens @ pjs-steyr. I've found it's best to call him rather than wait on email.

July 31, 2014, 17:16
I'm a very happy AUG A3 owner as of 1 year ago.

What I like about the AUG are the following :

#1 Diassembly and reassembly without tools.

#2 Quick change barrel feature ( different lengths)

#3 NATO caliber 5.56x45mm

#4 it points very naturally

#5 full length barrel, yet compact enough to be used in urban / house clearing

#6 very accurate for a battle rifle

#7 mine uses Steyr mags up to 42rds.

#8 mags can be charged with an easyloader

August 03, 2014, 13:12
Is there any ETA on the A3 M1's ?

August 03, 2014, 18:09
+ on the AUGs. The A1 my wife loves. It is her go to rifle. The donut of death scope is just that. It was designed so you could teach a new recruit to hit a man size target in about one hour of training. Rifle is more accurate than the scope. The USR has a very nice barrel and I have mine back in the original configuration. A3 is the heavy for a 556 rifle but you can put what scope you want on it. When they come out I'll pop for an M1. Magazines are some of the best. I like the tulip flash hider and they are just compact.

August 03, 2014, 18:19
Here are A3s "on sale" at CDNN. Both the standard (AUG mag) and the NATO (AR15 mag) are $1689 with 5 mags each.

August 05, 2014, 10:34
In 1987 I was selected as one of thirty firearms instructors with the U.S. Customs Service to test and evaluate the Steyr AUG-P model rifle for possible adoption as the service rifle for the U.S. Customs Service.

I attended a three day training course put on by Steyr, and was issued my AUG-P rifle. I carried that same rifle for the next 17 years of service. It finally broke when a roll pin backed out of the charging handle, and the charging handle and spring were lost off the rifle. I sent it to out National Firearms Program Staff for repair, and they just sent me a new rifle. I was of course completely bummed I had lost a long time trusted friend.

I had shot nearly 70,000 documented rounds through my AUG-P in the 17 years it was issued to me. In all that time I had zero malfunctions, and the rifle still shot extreme accurately. I don't believe there is a rifle on the market that can stand up to the reliability of the Steyr AUG.

I have since retired from DHS, and in 2011 I purchased my own AUG A3. I have shot over 5,000 rounds through it, and again with zero malfunctions!

I can honestly say your friend is on the right track by buying an AUG.

August 06, 2014, 19:51
What is the big difference between the a3 and a3m1? Are they the same if you go wiyhout the steyr optic?

August 06, 2014, 20:11

Google images of both and your questions will be answered.

August 06, 2014, 20:58
I already did, I still dont get it. When you take the optic off the m1 and put the flattop on is it any different than an a3?

Im not an aug guy yet, just interested and trying to learn.

August 08, 2014, 02:06
It seems to me that the M1 has got a shorter rail for mounting a red dot sight
such as an Aimpoint or EOTech.

It was probably meant for those folks that don't want to put on a real scope or backup sights for that matter.

One thing Steyr could have done was integrating backup sights into the rail, like on the Tavor.

Lee Carpentieri
August 14, 2014, 13:11
I've owned three Steyr Augs, An A1 Transferable full-auto, An A1 special reciever and an A2 Aug. Once I corrected the F/A Aug by changing out the full floating firing pin to a spring loaded A2 firing pin the problems I had stopped right away. The STEYR AUG series is an EXCELLENT weapon out to 350 yards with the 20 inch barrel. With the 24 inch LMG barrel you can expect shot's out to 600 yards quite often if you do your part.

Now the down side, DON'T EVER TOUCH THE METAL AT ALL AFTER FIRING A 100 ROUND STRING. Keep your hands on the plastic at all times or you will find out real quick what second and third degree burns feel like instantly. My friend did that by accident and we had to take him to the hospital ER room. Otherwise like others have pointed out, For the money which is 1 1/2 times higher than a Colt 6940 M4 carbine it is an excellent weapon.

August 15, 2014, 19:06
The difference between the "old" A3 and the new A3 M1 is how the front of the receiver is machined. The older A3 had a flat receiver that the optic rail (with sling swivel) was attached to with three bolts. This allowed the optic rail to extend beyond the front of the receiver. The new A3 M1 has a "hump" at the front of the receiver with the sling swivel, the optic rail or scope will attach behind the hump with three bolts. The A2 and UXR AUG used a dove-tail mount that was held in place by a roll pin that could wear over time the new A3 M1 has the exact same configuration but uses bolts instead of the dovetail and roll pin. The rail will not be able to extend forward of the receiver.