PDA

View Full Version : Striker fired alternatives

pmacadelic
July 24, 2014, 10:53
Figured id post this here since Glock enthusiasts might know best. Im looking into a gen4 g19 among other compact sf pistols. Sig p320 (modular idea seems bada$$), ppq, fns9. Anyone else go shop around lately with other sf's and find something they loved or hated that swayed them one way or the other? probably land back on the Glock, but seems there are some other solid competitors.

TOWS220
July 24, 2014, 16:01
FNS seemed like real nice pistols.

chet
July 25, 2014, 13:46
I have an S&W M&P 9Pro now. (Former G17 Gen 1 owner). Excellent performance so far. It is every bit as reliable and accurate as my 17 was, has much better sights and the mag release is also much nicer. It also fits my hand better which speeds up my drills. The trigger feel is better although it still doesn't compare to a great 1911 or even a decent 1911 for that matter ( I have both). I've considered dropping some APEX goodness in it but it is not bad enough to warrant even the few extra dollars it would take to do it. Why? I can hit stuff all over the place with the gun now. I have 5 mags for it and all function fine.

I had heard great things about FNP's and asked to see one at a gun store first. When the employee lifted the pistol, the safety lever was left lying on the shelf. Apparently it is only press fit onto the axis. My consideration of the pistol ended there.

Delta-3
July 26, 2014, 08:46
I also have a S&W 5" M&P Pro. Excellent ergonomics & sights. I bought it for competing in IDPA this season. It has been steller for over 2K rounds so far. The stock trigger wasn't "bad", but I did install the Apex DCAEK set & it made a world of difference. It is amazingly accurate with a variety of 115/124g loads. If I didn't already have a M&P FS 9 & a 9mm Shield, I'd use it as a carry gun.

Timber Wolf
July 26, 2014, 08:47
I have had, and still have, a few Glocks but am much happier with my XD and XDm pistols. They just fit my hand much better. The M&P looks very interesting and most I know with them are very happy with them. I am afraid to try one as I might have to buy one and a bunch of new mags.

spider991
July 26, 2014, 21:50
HK P7??......:wink:..i like em...:fal:

ALL FAL
July 28, 2014, 00:05
HK P7??......:wink:..i like em...:fal:

Mmm, me too, had one of the first imported, handy.

Wildcat
July 28, 2014, 19:58
I have had, and still have, a few Glocks but am much happier with my XD and XDm pistols. They just fit my hand much better. The M&P looks very interesting and most I know with them are very happy with them. I am afraid to try one as I might have to buy one and a bunch of new mags.

Its been my experience that the XD is more reliable than the M&P.

The XD handles hard primers better and I have not had any trigger reset failures in the XD. I've had several with the M&P.

moonbat60
July 28, 2014, 21:48
I can second that, Wildcat. I've got an XD 40/9 since 2007, and it runs like a champ.

It is the only striker-fired pistol I own.

I also like the HK P7s though, very safe gun, a design ahead of its time.

pmacadelic
July 29, 2014, 01:15
Sounds like i need to go do some shooting with these and see which grabs me. Thx for the input.

VALMET
July 29, 2014, 13:17
What's wrong with the Glock 19 that is making you look elsewhere?

pmacadelic
July 29, 2014, 16:10
Nothing wrong with the G19, but with all the different options out there these days just wondering if there are others I should consider before pulling the trigger.

July 29, 2014, 23:25
bersa

Motor_Mouth
July 30, 2014, 08:14
I shot both the new Sig and HK striker fired pistols last night. The HK rocks. The Sig's bore axis is higher than that on an XD. It's very snappy - very slow follow-up shots.

But that HK was unbelievable...

spider991
August 02, 2014, 17:44
Just get the daggone glock 19- pound for pound probably one of the best out of the box 9mm out there. Open box-load-shoot-smile:cheers:

Sagerider
August 02, 2014, 23:13
The HK P7 was indeed ahead of its time in many respects. The striker is cocked by squeezing the mechanism at the front of the grip which gives a clean single action type break of the trigger. Small children would have a very difficult time discharging a round. Accidentally discharging this pistol even for an adult would be difficult but stupid is as stupid does. Without squeezing the cocker first the pistol will not fire. The only safety is the cocker itself.

DYNOMIKE
August 04, 2014, 08:53
The XD's are good pistols but I hate how they feel, to ea his own on that however....

If'n ya want a striker fired Pistol just get the best and call it good...
Buy a GLOCK..

nightschneider
August 05, 2014, 11:17
The Glock 19 is in a league of its own for the size.

There are some phenomenal full size striker fired pistols by other companies (S&W M&P at the top for me), but none of the other companies make a good one in a size comparable to the G19 - the M&P compact is too small for my tastes, yet weighs as much as a G19. The new HK looks awesome, and the Strike 1 has the potential to supplant a lot of Glock's business. As of now, neither are offered in a compact size, so my G19's are going nowhere in the near future. There are other considerations, too, such as not wanting to spend 35 to 50 bucks per magazine (I like to have at least 10 magazines per pistol - this adds up), holster availability, and spare parts - the Glock is absolutely dominant on the logistics side of this equation.

I've had mixed results with the XD family and the FNH striker pistols, so don't consider them contenders.

pmacadelic
August 05, 2014, 14:27
nice input guys. NS, solid bit of info. I think a gen4 19 is in my near future.

homelandprotector
August 05, 2014, 16:15
These Caniks >> http://www.centerfiresystems.com/HG2846-N.aspx Are getting pretty good reviews and are very similar to Glocks, kinda looks like a cross between a Walther and a Glock, for the cost I'd buy 4 of them to arm my kids, incase of SHTF. :cool:

Check out all the extras that come with it. Plus has a crome lined barrel.

2) 17rd Magazines
•Plastic Case
•Polymer Holster Set
•Paddle Attachment
•Belt Attachment
•Spare Backstrap
•Cleaning Rod and Brush

merle516
August 09, 2014, 02:20
My wife picked up a Springfield XD and it has become just about our favorite pistol. The weight, pointability and capacity all conspire to make a darn nice pistol. No failures of any kind since we have been shooting it. Next pistol will be another XD.

PsyopsE6P
August 09, 2014, 15:13
Nope, its either Glock, CZ75B or TT33. That's all.:rolleyes:

Skilter
August 09, 2014, 15:33
Nope, its either Glock, CZ75B or TT33. That's all.:rolleyes:

yeah... I go here too...

Mags work through all glocks. It is amazing how after collecting for 20+ years you go back to what mags fit. YMMV

DC
August 11, 2014, 13:31
Steyr S9A1.

zombie hunter
August 11, 2014, 14:08
P99C AS. Disclaimer: my fingers are too short to reach conventional mag release buttons without changing my grip, so I actually like trigger guard paddle releases. I normally carry a PPS. I don't own a P99, but I've handled one and liked it.

Stormhawk
August 17, 2014, 10:35
Check out the H&K VP9. Sort of a striker fired evolution of the USP/P2000/HK30.