PDA

View Full Version : Which revolver for CC?

TOWS220
July 14, 2014, 04:56
Im going to get a revolver for pocket carry. Looking for something that is smaller/less hassle than the glock and that I can just throw in my pocket around the house and for quick trips to the gas station, etc. Also, I have always wanted to master the da trigger of a revolver.

Looking for 38 special +p and that is all I know. Considering a j-frame or maybe a lcr? Dont have a lot of cash to spend. What do you guys recommend?

dtom29
July 14, 2014, 09:09
J-Frame over the LCR. I own J-Frames and I've shot the LCR. I would reconsider the +P idea also. There are some fine standard pressure loads out there. I have Bodyguard Airweights(model 38). They shoot well and can be shot from the pocket of your coat/jacket. If you reconsider the pants pocket carry idea ( I can't stand the weight and bulk of any gun in my pocket) then I would move up to the model 10/12. Extra round, better trigger, more control.

FUUN063
July 14, 2014, 09:59
I have carried the S&W Model 442 for quite some time, even buying another one when I "lent" mine out to a friend who was considering the same thing. He still has it and I bought a new one. It still is one without the external lock, though. I like them because they are lightweight, accurate and there is no hammer to let foreign matter into the action. I qualify every year and it has never failed to fire or extract. I carry it full of Remington Golden Saber's and another speed loader stuffed as well.

Leland
:fal:

Retired Bum
July 14, 2014, 10:49
I having been legally carrying a J frame S&W for over 40 years. First a Model 60 then a Model 640 and now a no lock 642. Loaded with Federal +P 129 grain Hydra-Shok. The HS load has been around for a long time and it is dated compared to some of the newer loads available such as the Speer +P 135 grain Gold Dot. But it still works and I have a decent amount of it on hand.

Don't know anything about the Ruger LCR beyond what I have read on the various gun forums. I like Rugers but single actions only. I just have never been able to warm up to their double action designs. I have six .38 Special J frames and frankly I wouldn't consider any other make of pocket revolver.

Buy a no lock 642 which is +P rated and you won't go wrong.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Guy-epic
July 14, 2014, 12:23
Jframe in 357 just put 38 special if you want but I wouldn't ever limit myself just me. That make the really light Titanium one 360PD it has been my goto revolver. I even carry it when I could carry my larger frame. Heck 5 shots of 357? Plus a little speed strip with 5 more. 10 shots what more do you need ever?

paulb2112
July 14, 2014, 12:27
Ruger SP-101 / spurless hammer.

Life Member
July 14, 2014, 13:00
I wouldn't go small just because you want to pocket carry.6 rounds are better than 5 mabye the difference between life and death. As for a reload, that's unlikly in most cases. A K frame S&W fits quite nice in a back pocket with just the handle sticking out which makes it easy to put into action. Every split second counts in a shoot out! A pull over shirt will cover it. It's true there a lot of new self defense rounds out there. The SWC 158 gr. lead hollowpoint has been proven in the streets and is hard to beat. It is a +p round but in a fullsize snubby it isn"t bad. If by some chance you miss, its heavy enough to beat the guy with.

Guy-epic
July 14, 2014, 13:28
I wouldn't go small just because you want to pocket carry.6 rounds are better than 5 mabye the difference between life and death. As for a reload, that's unlikly in most cases. A K frame S&W fits quite nice in a back pocket with just the handle sticking out which makes it easy to put into action. Every split second counts in a shoot out! A pull over shirt will cover it. It's true there a lot of new self defense rounds out there. The SWC 158 gr. lead hollowpoint has been proven in the streets and is hard to beat. It is a +p round but in a fullsize snubby it isn"t bad. If by some chance you miss, its heavy enough to beat the guy with.

I hear you but with the average gun fight uses 3 shots I think it would be safe to do a five shot don't you think?

W.E.G.
July 14, 2014, 13:46
Anything on an N-Frame, and be "glad to see" EVERYBODY!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Model%2057/M57pocketcarry.jpg

Life Member
July 14, 2014, 13:50
Believe me when I say you'll shoot those 5 shots and still be pulling the trigger. If you can hit a 20 or 30 year old as fast as they can move with 3 shots, you should be giving instruction not asking for it.

W.E.G.
July 14, 2014, 13:52
That's why the N-Frame.

Disable them with just the concussion.

Andy the Aussie
July 14, 2014, 14:41
I hear you but with the average gun fight uses 3 shots I think it would be safe to do a five shot don't you think? ... averages mean someone fired lots less and someone fired lots more, relying on averages around such matters is a dangerous fallacy. That said, a balance must be struck and often that is a 5 shot .38. I personally would lean to a 3inch round butt K Frame S&W like the 10/64 or 13/65. Not that much harder to carry but much more pleasant and effective to use.

W.E.G.
July 14, 2014, 14:52
...or if you simply must carry a small pistol in your pocket, just carry a G26

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26withammoandpennies.jpg

I guarantee it will fit in your pocket better than a J-frame.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26comparedtoSWM60.jpg

Life Member
July 14, 2014, 15:03
Smith and Wesson model 10-5, 2 inch barrel, square butt no holster.
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j402/bassman10/ccc001_zpsfe59fd1a.jpg (http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/bassman10/media/ccc001_zpsfe59fd1a.jpg.html)

TOWS220
July 14, 2014, 15:09

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26withammoandpennies.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26comparedtoSWM60.jpg

I hadn't considered those little guys, hmm.

Guy-epic
July 14, 2014, 15:42
Believe me when I say you'll shoot those 5 shots and still be pulling the trigger. If you can hit a 20 or 30 year old as fast as they can move with 3 shots, you should be giving instruction not asking for it.

The 3 shots are the average total shots fired. Not how many each person shoots. So that is even less per person. I have never asked for instructions on shooting my carry gun in a life changing event. I know I can draw and fire my J-frame into a 12 inch moving balloon in less then 5 seconds moving balloon at 15 yards. It was part of a class I took a few years back. I a firm believer in hicapacity pistols, but most people should not rely on 15 rounds in their Glock. It is a fact that they likely will not need them, and also they should practice accuracy. This is just my opinion. You can all get 30 round FAL mags but how many 20 rounders do you own vs. how many 30's? If more is better why even buy 20 round FAL mags?

FUUN063
July 14, 2014, 15:46
If you go automatic, be careful. You need to keep it very clean. I have done it and have gone back to the j frame. Too much stuff floating around from you and other places. Mens deodorant (yes, it sounds gross, but true) gets down in there along with lint, grime, etc. and will gum it up quickly. Plus, I have carried both and still own several in each configuration and I still prefer the j frame. It does fit better in the pocket, is lighter as not to pull lightweight clothing or shorts and won't "print" near as badly, if at all. Just my experience. Also, to mention about the .357 vs .38, if the barrel is only 1 7/8" or 2", then the .38 is my choice with suitable loads. That .357 still burning powder meant for a 5" or 6" barrel is blinding, especially at night.

Leland

Life Member
July 14, 2014, 16:07
The 3 shots are the average total shots fired. Not how many each person shoots. So that is even less per person. I have never asked for instructions on shooting my carry gun in a life changing event. I know I can draw and fire my J-frame into a 12 inch moving balloon in less then 5 seconds moving balloon at 15 yards. It was part of a class I took a few years back. I a firm believer in hicapacity pistols, but most people should not rely on 15 rounds in their Glock. It is a fact that they likely will not need them, and also they should practice accuracy. This is just my opinion. You can all get 30 round FAL mags but how many 20 rounders do you own vs. how many 30's? If more is better why even buy 20 round FAL mags?

You'd think the first shot would burst the balloon.

W.E.G.
July 14, 2014, 16:28
If you go automatic, be careful. You need to keep it very clean.

Except if its a Glock.

In which case, I'm pretty sure you could carry it 24/7 in your "prison holster," and even then you wouldn't have to worry about "men's deodorant," or men's anything-else that gets on it or in it. I'm 100% sure it will fire, no matter what you get on it, or how long you let it linger on it.

Don't get me wrong, I think pocket carry is a poor choice. I wanted to say "stupid" - but that's probably too harsh. I don't know what folks have against holsters so bad that they would compromise the security of the weapon - not to mention their draw - so severely that they prefer trying to fish a pistol out of their pants pocket in a stressful situation. I can't even get my dick back in my pants when a car is coming, after I've stopped to take a leak, without hurting myself or making a total mess of it. I could just see me trying to get a pistol out of my jeans-pocket during a mugging. I'd probably shoot myself in the kneecap twice, and only avoid getting robbed or beaten because the perp's mood changed during my performance.

Guy-epic
July 14, 2014, 17:03
You'd think the first shot would burst the balloon.

It did

TOWS220
July 14, 2014, 19:55
Except if its a Glock.

In which case, I'm pretty sure you could carry it 24/7 in your "prison holster," and even then you wouldn't have to worry about "men's deodorant," or men's anything-else that gets on it or in it. I'm 100% sure it will fire, no matter what you get on it, or how long you let it linger on it.

Don't get me wrong, I think pocket carry is a poor choice. I wanted to say "stupid" - but that's probably too harsh. I don't know what folks have against holsters so bad that they would compromise the security of the weapon - not to mention their draw - so severely that they prefer trying to fish a pistol out of their pants pocket in a stressful situation. I can't even get my dick back in my pants when a car is coming, after I've stopped to take a leak, without hurting myself or making a total mess of it. I could just see me trying to get a pistol out of my jeans-pocket during a mugging. I'd probably shoot myself in the kneecap twice, and only avoid getting robbed or beaten because the perp's mood changed during my performance.

This is pretty valid and I totally agree that pocket carry is not ideal, however there are times when I don't carry simply because I dont feel like wearing my holster and glock. I liked the idea of another options for those days down here in Fl when im in shorts and a t-shirt and am just bouncing out in midday for something quick. It isnt ideal, but it is a real world solution.

I will consider the advice, I appreciate it.

SWOHFAL
July 14, 2014, 22:55
Jframe in 357 just put 38 special if you want but I wouldn't ever limit myself just me. That make the really light Titanium one 360PD it has been my goto revolver. I even carry it when I could carry my larger frame. Heck 5 shots of 357? Plus a little speed strip with 5 more. 10 shots what more do you need ever?

I recommended that for my aunt to carry in her purse, but no way would I carry one in my pocket, or a SP101 - just too heavy and the Ruger is too big, IMO. The lighter scanium models are quite expensive too, so not for someone on a budget and no way would I want to ever fire .357 out of one, so we're back to .38.

SWOHFAL
July 14, 2014, 22:59

But you could shoot the J-frame inside some pockets other than your pants and expect a second shot. You also won't blow your nuts off if you don't use a holster that covers the triggerguard inside the pants pocket.

Bawana jim
July 14, 2014, 23:01
Yep the 442 for Pocket carry.

nearmisses
July 14, 2014, 23:29
My neighbor, an 89 yr. old gent just got a new Ruger LCR in 38Spec. and is very light and compact, excellent trigger. A true pocket peace. My daughter got a Taurus 415T in 41Mag for hiking and ccw. She really likes it and shoots it well. Very controllable, very light, I would have one if I had the bucks. I remember when they were 300.00 new and no one wanted one. Now they are very dear. My 2 cents.

W.E.G.
July 15, 2014, 05:47
But you could shoot the J-frame inside some pockets other than your pants and expect a second shot. You also won't blow your nuts off if you don't use a holster that covers the triggerguard inside the pants pocket.

Please post vids of you practicing the "I can fend off attackers by shooting through my pocket" drill.

I guess shooting through your pocket is what you do when you can't get the damn gun out of your pocket. Bet you only do that once. Especially if the gun is in your pants pocket. BTW, the Glock will surely fire at least the first shot if you are bound-and-determined to fire it from inside your britches.

I recommended that for my aunt to carry in her purse.

That's just great.

Have you ever seen an old lady fishing around to find her ringing cell phone inside her purse? Even with an audible locating signal, half the time they can't find the damn thing (which is always set to full volume and "classic ringer") before the thing rolls over to voice mail. That and the purse is the exact thing the attacker most likely is going to take from her. So the mugger gets a bonus prize on that job.

SWOHFAL
July 15, 2014, 06:04
Please post vids of you practicing the "I can fend off attackers by shooting through my pocket" drill.

I guess shooting through your pocket is what you do when you can't get the damn gun out of your pocket. Bet you only do that once. Especially if the gun is in your pants pocket. BTW, the Glock will surely fire at least the first shot if you are bound-and-determined to fire it from inside your britches.

Not in my pants, for obvious reasons, but I've stuck a snubbie in a jacket pocket before. You can definitely shoot fastest of all from inside the pocket of one, if you believe the situation requires it and the hole in the pocket is worth it. Come winter, reaching inside your coat to get to a belt or IWB holster won't be nearly as fast or unobtrusive, especially if zipped or buttoned. Get the Centennial or Bodyguard model.

That's just great.

Have you ever seen an old lady fishing around to find her ringing cell phone inside her purse? Even with an audible locating signal, half the time they can't find the damn thing (which is always set to full volume and "classic ringer") before the thing rolls over to voice mail. That and the purse is the exact thing the attacker most likely is going to take from her. So the mugger gets a bonus prize on that job.

And I knew she was full of crap, so all I cared about was that she got something better than a .22 revolver for around the house and in the car - I told her about purses with a concealment pocket, but they don't say "FENDI" on them, so that was out.

xcpd69
July 15, 2014, 09:51
With my declining health, some days I just don't feel like "gearing up."
On those occasions my Colt Agent with bobbed hammer fills the need to be armed, backed by two speedloaders.

Yes, the j-frames are a bit smaller, BUT hold one less round and draw blood from ME. With the size of my hands, the cylinder latch cuts up my thumb on recoil. Not so the Colt, with it's larger size and different style cylinder latch.

Loaded with 6 rounds of Cor-Bon 125gr +P and backed with 12 more in speedloaders, I feel reasonably well armed.

D P Six
July 15, 2014, 12:49
The beauty of a Model 60 or 642 is you can just drop it in your pocket every time you go out without having to cinch up a holster or worrying about a 'Glock leg' problem.

Retired Bum
July 15, 2014, 16:07
Some years back a pal of mine offered me an Astra Cub chambered for the .22 Short cartridge. The pistol belonged to his ex wife and she had carried it in her purse and never once bothered to shoot it and see if it actually worked.

The price was super right so I bought it. And then the fun began. The Astra had human hair, lipstick, rouge, and who knows what else all over it and inside as well. So I detail stripped it and let the parts soak in solvent for a few hours to loosen the crud. I used a pal's air compressor to blast the solvent out and then I carefully lubricated all parts with BreakFree CLP and put it back together. Bought a 100 round box of CCI HV .22 Short hollowpoints and took it to the range. It ate those rounds like candy. Not that first malfunction. But I always thought that Astra was the best of the Spanish gun makers.

Years later I sold it to a shooting buddy who collected small auto pistols. Now I wish that I had kept it. I probably have about 700 rounds of .22 Short on the shelves.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

SWOHFAL
July 15, 2014, 16:20
Some years back a pal of mine offered me an Astra Cub chambered for the .22 Short cartridge. The pistol belonged to his ex wife and she had carried it in her purse and never once bothered to shoot it and see if it actually worked.

The price was super right so I bought it. And then the fun began. The Astra had human hair, lipstick, rouge, and who knows what else all over it and inside as well. So I detail stripped it and let the parts soak in solvent for a few hours to loosen the crud. I used a pal's air compressor to blast the solvent out and then I carefully lubricated all parts with BreakFree CLP and put it back together. Bought a 100 round box of CCI HV .22 Short hollowpoints and took it to the range. It ate those rounds like candy. Not that first malfunction. But I always thought that Astra was the best of the Spanish gun makers.

Years later I sold it to a shooting buddy who collected small auto pistols. Now I wish that I had kept it. I probably have about 700 rounds of .22 Short on the shelves.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Congratulations to Astra for chambering a pistol in an even more useless cartridge than .25 auto.

Nomad, 2nd
July 16, 2014, 13:08
Except if its a Glock.

:facepalm:
tell me something.... WHat reaction would you get from people when you walk through a parking lot with that "Holstered gun" in your hand?

I can walk through life (Wherever) with my hand wrapped around a G26, with my finger straight, needing just to pull it out my pocket and aim.

-I DO carry another, but as Southnarc says and Gomez said, there is no "Backup gun" or "Primary and secondary" just ones which you use depending on placement and use.

Some days I carry a second G26 or 19 in my belt (In a holster, as is the one in my pocket) and some days, I "Go lazy" and carry a S&W No lock Bodyguard. Sometimes Appendix, and sometimes ankle.

Regardless, that G26 in the pocket is most likely to be used, because as Cooper said: "A gun in you hand beats a gun in the holster."

I stopped wearing Jeans last year and wear Tan Duloth Firehose pants... They look professional (This way I don't have to wear Jeans for when I'm not working, and pants when I don't)
Sounds like you need to stop wearing those tight ass wranglers Cowboy! :rofl::whistling:

xcpd69
July 17, 2014, 06:55
In the same vein as above, I can carry my Agent during cool weather in a jacket pocket, with my hand comfortably wrapped around the butt. No hammer, no snag draw. In fact, at "Oh SHIT!" range, no NEED to draw for the first round or two. (Try THAT with a Glock. Can you say jam?)

A wee bit quicker than clearing covering garment, grasping butt (of gun), drawing from a holster...etc

As for warmer weather, To keep from being mobbed by screaming, fainting females, (which annoys wife) I do NOT wear skin tight jeans or tight pants of any kind. Plenty of room to play pocket pool, or fondle a 38 (Maybe a pair?) :wink:
By the way, ever hear the term Pocket Pistol? Wonder where that came from W.E.G.?

Timber Wolf
July 17, 2014, 19:24
S&W no lock 642 here for pocket duty. When camping/hiking I have a 3 1/16" Ruger SP101 (.357 Mag) in my backpack and the S&W in my pocket. Reloads are strips in pocket and speed loaders (that fit both guns) in the pack loaded with +P .38 Special HP. Also I carry one Bianchi Speed Strip with CCI .38 Special shot shells.

July 18, 2014, 13:26
Yeah, Smith M-38 or 40(both shrouded hammer), or 42 or 49(both enclosed hammer). IIRC the 38 and 42 are lalloy frame and the others are steel frame. COuld be wrong, been a while since I had one.

big44man
July 21, 2014, 11:12
I have been carrying a S/S Model 66, round butt, 3 inch bbl, with Laser Grips. This, plus a speed strip loader, gives me twelve shots of .357 Mag!

randyj
August 13, 2014, 20:20
I carry a S&W mod.65rb 3"barrrel bobbed hammmer, some action work done by replacing some springs, and bobbing the hammer, work was done by yours truly and it came out slick as glass. only work done by outsourceing is the magna port.
as for ammo 158 lswhp+p (the old FBI load). two speed stripes in my pocket and no buldge.
If the shtf i do not feel under gunned.
the gun in the front pocket speed stripes in the other.
with the bobbed hammer the gun comes dut of the pocket like pulling out your hand,not a chance snagging anything.

just my .02
randy

FAL4EVER
August 14, 2014, 17:12
That's why the N-Frame.

Disable them with just the concussion.

Bingo. Carry my 329NG more than anything in Galco Silhouette.
http://webpages.charter.net/magnum.44/DSC00023.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/magnum.44/DSC00024.JPG

Vorpal_weapon
August 16, 2014, 17:46
[QUOTE=dtom29;3884235]J-Frame . . . I would reconsider the +P idea also. There are some fine standard pressure loads out there. I have Bodyguard Airweights(model 38). They shoot well and can be shot from the pocket of your coat/jacket.QUOTE]

Well said.

People carry all kinds of handguns with myriad reasonings why their solution is the ideal approach. However, most people really overthink it.
The most important thing is to choose something well-made and reliable that you "will" carry, rather than the perfect weapon you will mostly
choose to leave on the dresser. Choose something you "will" practice with and something you "can" shoot well (ala std pressure .38).
A J-frame airweight "is that gun" for most of the professional trigger-pullers I know. Couple that with practicing good situational awareness, and you're going to be fine.

I have carried firearms, (mostly on a professional basis) my entire adult life.
I've had the luxury of using/owning most of the handguns you could name.
I've shot a LOT and I've seen the results of more than few people getting shot.
There are no "powerful" handguns - handguns just poke holes in things.
One of my best friends (an IDPA 4-gun master) correctly observed "Its just not a revolver world out there anymore."

These things said, I've chosen a S&W model 38 w/lasergrips (in my pocket) for CC most of the time. Its light, reliable and gives me 5 chances to save my life without in-flight refueling. I usually carry a speed strip and a 940 Osborne for extended options. If I figure I will really "need" a gun, I'll probably pack a duty-size handgun, but thats pretty rare off-duty.

TerryN
August 17, 2014, 22:50
I once did a side-by-side comparison with a J-frame Smith wearing Uncle Mike's boot grips with a Browning Hi-Power. They're virtually the same length and height; the J-frame was probably 1/4" taller due to the boot grips. Your choice - 5 shots of .38 or 13+ of 9mm. I know which one I chose, and it wasn't the .38!

ChannelCat
August 22, 2014, 21:11
OP, which direction did you go with this? My wife carries a 642 no lock in a Flashbang, and I occasionally pocket carry it. Nice little piece. So is the gun. It does break up pretty well in a pocket, with a decent pocket holster to keep it upright. I mostly carry my G26 though, but never in a pocket holster. At 5-10/200, I can't COMFORTABLY pull that off. My favorite summer rig is my Kahr CM9 (budget PM9) in a one sided Recluse pocket holster or kydex single clip PJ Holsters IWB. Same manual of arms as my BLOCK. Now THAT little baby disappears!

ALL FAL
August 25, 2014, 01:12
Smith Model 37 Airweight, loaded with +P.