PDA

View Full Version : Anyone prefer the older glocks over the newer models?

.30-06
July 13, 2014, 00:10
Why?

homelandprotector
July 13, 2014, 00:32
Many years ago...I couldn't shoot the Gen 1 to save my life, huge issue with grip angle (I guess) or what ever it was.

I was hard line anti Glock until bout 4 years ago when I saw a G22 police returns at Cabellas for $389. and I figured what the hell, I'll see what all the hype is about.........then discovered that I have never shot a more accurate, reliable ,compact powerhouse ever. For some reson G1's didn't work for me.

Then I was hooked, still buying them left and right, next is a G41 :wink::bow:

So I was converted on G3's, I'm sure G4's are just as awesome.

See what I mean ?? >> http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369948

Andy the Aussie
July 13, 2014, 00:37
I shoot the G3s better than any of the others. Had G1s and G2s as personal weapons and the Govt's G3 and now a personal 17... :) I prefer the G3 to the G4 as well.

W.E.G.
July 13, 2014, 06:39
The "bump-less" grips, and the absence of the ninja-rail in front of the trigger guard have a retro look that some find appealing.

The bumps on the "full size" Gen 3 models in 9mm and .40 fit my hand perfectly.
The grips on all double-stack .45 and 10mm of any type are just large enough to feel awkward to me. Quite shootable with two hands, but really wrong-feeling with just one hand.

I've been tempted to get "one of the old Glocks" just because.
But, I'm sure I'd never shoot it more than a fam-fire, and I'm getting out of the business of storing old guns for no more purpose than preserving them for the next owner. Nobody wants to see my gun collection. Its always, "I'll check it out another time, right now I gotta go do..."

101ABN327
July 13, 2014, 11:11
I like the Gen3 Glocks best. I think they are better functionally and and offer the options anyone might want. My carry pistol is a Gen3 G-17.

EinheitElf
July 13, 2014, 12:09
The "bump-less" grips, and the absence of the ninja-rail in front of the trigger guard have a retro look that some find appealing.

The bumps on the "full size" Gen 3 models in 9mm and .40 fit my hand perfectly.
The grips on all double-stack .45 and 10mm of any type are just large enough to feel awkward to me. Quite shootable with two hands, but really wrong-feeling with just one hand.

I've been tempted to get "one of the old Glocks" just because.
But, I'm sure I'd never shoot it more than a fam-fire, and I'm getting out of the business of storing old guns for no more purpose than preserving them for the next owner. Nobody wants to see my gun collection. Its always, "I'll check it out another time, right now I gotta go do..."

Well WEG, if it comes down to it, I would be happy to 'stand in' for those 'future gun owners' that do not want to see your collection, I would appreciate them and have family members that will be taking mine....

Back to topic-

I have a G2 G19 and G2 G24 and a G3 G35 that I got off GB ,was a .gov trade in, although I do not know which agency would be using or carrying the G35 longslide .40? I like them all but am thinking of trading the G19 for a G23 so I can run a 9mm and 357 Sig conversion barrels, more flexibility to shoot what is available....:biggrin::beer: Note- for some reason I like the longslides...:biggrin: ....and going to the range with a 29-31 round mag, people get all:frantic::fingerwag::bitenails::eek:

TCustoms
July 13, 2014, 13:27
Gen 1-2's. No finger groves

VALMET
July 13, 2014, 15:23
I prefer the Gen2s and older Gen3s. Have owned 2 Gen4s and don't care for the stippling and don't have a need for the backstraps. IMO Glock was truly perfection until about 2010-11 when the brass-to-face problems started and they went away from the Tenifer finishing process. The 1st Gen4 G-19s had problems as I believe they had the same RSA as the 23s and wouldn't always reliably function with some 9mm ammo- I understand that problem has been ironed-out. I've heard of numerous problems in the past 6 months or so of people who purchased phew Glocks having them rust within months of ownership. I own several Gen2 and older Gen3 Glocks and none have a spot of pitting or rust (and they've been well-used). Like many things out there- "they don't make 'em like they used to." Just my .02

MK ULTRA
July 13, 2014, 22:18
I have NO use for one w/o the tenifer finish. I didn't know they stopped that. All mine are G1s or G2s. Very happy with the OLD RELIABLE's.

They always shot and fit very well.

xtremerange
July 14, 2014, 08:29
The G3 grips are almost perfection for me. Do not care for the G4 but have only handled it in the stores.

dtom29
July 14, 2014, 08:56
As TCustoms said, "no finger grooves". The gen 3 and 4's grip isn't to my liking, and I have no use for a rail on my carry gun. I have a Gen 1 19 and a Gen 2 19 and 22(converted to 9mm with a threaded barrel). As an aside...I think .40 is the answer to a question nobody asked...:whistling:

Arik
July 14, 2014, 12:36
I like up to gen3. Dont care about the interchangable back staps or the RTF

edporch
October 06, 2014, 21:40
I like Gen 3's best.
I just added a Glock 32 Gen 3 (.357 Sig) to the stable a few days ago.
It's the same frame as the Glock 23 but noticeably more powerful.

SAFN49
October 06, 2014, 23:32
Why?

Because back in the 80's that's what there was! With an underwater kit they were the only handgun designed to fire underwater.

17 rounds/Lightweight unjamstoppable! What more could you ask for?????

Who needs a rail to mount crap???? None of the 1911's/High Powers/Bren 10's had a rail.

All the cool kids had a Bren 10

Andy the Aussie
October 06, 2014, 23:37
With an underwater kit they were the only handgun designed to fire underwater. .... just out of interest, how many times did you need to shoot your way out of a tricky underwater situation... ???? ;) ;) :p:p:devil:

SAFN49
October 06, 2014, 23:55
.... just out of interest, how many times did you need to shoot your way out of a tricky underwater situation... ???? ;) ;) :p:p:devil:

Only when diving off the Great Barrier Reef.....

Andy the Aussie
October 07, 2014, 01:06
....there was your first mistake, being out "live baiting for sharks" .... :uhoh::uhoh:

DYNOMIKE
October 07, 2014, 08:29
I like G3 and G4 guns, those that don't like the interchangeable back straps must not understand there intent??

For a LONG time people complained that the Glock didn't feel right in the hand.. Since the grip is the grip and the grip is the frame aside from stooped rubber slip on's there wasn't much one could do..

G4 guns allow the owner/shooter to get a grip feel they like by swapping the back straps... This opens the Glocks up to a much broader range of shooters and hand sizes.
G4 guns also allow a left handed shooter to swap the mag release, and they have the stippled rather then textured grip which personally I like..
G4 uses a duel recoil spring assy, and comes with 3 mags...

Don't care about the tenifer or lack there of, finish doesn't make the gun shoot any better or make it more reliable assuming of course one is willing to perform reasonable gun maintenance.. Might matter where we talking Nickel Boron I suppose but, we aren't..

G4 guns are just as reliable but if you don't like the stippling, don't have an issue w/the grip, & won't swap the mag release get the G3 and save about $60.00..