PDA

View Full Version : S.T.AR. Hi-Cap 1911 .45 , What is this???

D. Short
July 12, 2014, 10:49
Wasn't sure where to go with this, so thought I would start with the experts here. Did some online research on S.T.AR. (which is how it is marked on the grip and the frame), and didn't come up with anything. Imported by KBI from Spain. No magazine...tried a Para Ord P14 mag which slid in nicely but didn't engage the mag catch. A friend pointed out the similarities to an STI frame (?). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

WireDog
July 12, 2014, 14:58
Any other markings on the frame? Could we get pics of both sides of the frame/slide?

stitcher
July 12, 2014, 17:16
Wow that is interesting!

D. Short
July 12, 2014, 21:28
The left side of the frame just has the KBI import markings. The strange thing is...it looks like it was hand-stamped by an 8 year old after a 12 pack of Mountain Dew. Not sure if you can see in the picture, but the "S.T.AR." is also done very sloppy, as is the serial number. "SPAIN" is a deep and clear marking, and was probably all one stamp. One proof mark is the flaming bomb. I did some research on Spanish proofs, and most of these had a "1", "2", or "P" inside, this one has nothing. The other proof mark looks like a shield with an "X" on it, with a small sun on top. I am just baffled...

CG&L
July 13, 2014, 18:21
I think your gun is an 'SPS'
If it is, a Para mag can be modified to work

Basically it's a Spanish STI copy and is a somewhat common competition gun in Europe.
There are some European members here on the files. If you can get in contact with them and if they shoot pistol competitions, they will know exactly what it is

MAINER
July 13, 2014, 19:31
Same Frame, but....
http://www.metroarms.com/sps.html

SPEEDGUNNER
July 13, 2014, 21:25
STAR is a pretty well known and respected manufacture of firearms, with headquarters and facilities in Spain. They have a blocky line of 9, .40 and .45 pistols that bear similarities to the one you show, but not exactly. Are there any markings on the slide or frame? This may be a heavily modified STAR Firestar or STAR PD, can't really get enough detail from the one photo.

D. Short
July 14, 2014, 13:48
Thanks guys! It is similar to the SPS, but not identical. Hopefully one of the European competitors will chime in. As far as magazines, do you know what it would take to modify a Para mag? I loaded a snap cap into one of my Paras, but it did not present the base of the case high enough to be picked up by the slide!? And all the STI/SPS mags I can find are $60+...yikes.

As far as the Star names goes, I have owned a PD for a while, and handled a couple of their other pistols. This is completely different. And I have never noticed the use of periods in the name, and in this strange configuration "S.T.AR." (both on frame and both sides of grips)