PDA

View Full Version : The 22 L R Game?

RetiredNSmilin308
July 06, 2014, 19:40
This was a little eye opening, but no suprise.

I see this ad on Backpage. The guy is saying wants to TRADE, not sell two bricks of 22LR Thunderbolts (yeah, I know, brand X) for some pistol reloading powder.

I take some out and meet with him. We do the swap and then he tells me this...

He said he was tired of playing the "22LR GAME". He said he would show up at Sportsman's Warehouse, Bass Pro and buy all he could get then sell it to local dealers. He called it the 22 L R Game, but said he was tired of people threatening to kick his ass each and every time he did it, and recently got into pistol reloading, but could not find any pistol powder anywhere.

I knew all of this crap was going on, but had no idea it had its own name.

The 22 L R Game....and industry created by paranoia, fear, and greed.

How sweet!

PS.. the also said 100% of the WalMarts were other's "territory" and threatened him with physical harm if they ever saw him trying to encroach on their territory again. Even sweeter, uh?

It was a small glimpse into the underworld of the gun business. I wonder if there is a new Al Capone making his millions off of 22LR? :tinfoilhat:

12v71
July 06, 2014, 20:19
So, did you kick his ass for admitting to screwing the rest of us that just want to shoot a bit?? Didn't think so. Me...well...:devil:

RetiredNSmilin308
July 06, 2014, 20:26
You know, I did not think of it, but you are right.

Nomad, 2nd
July 07, 2014, 02:05
So, did you kick his ass for admitting to screwing the rest of us that just want to shoot a bit?? Didn't think so. Me...well...:devil:

Rest of us?

I just took another brick out of an Ammo can.... think this is era 2007 or so.

YOUR lack of prior planning and all...

Remember this when it's available again.

HECK, Remember this NOW about P mags and AK mags!

Blackmore
July 07, 2014, 05:30
Did he look like this :wink:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBmwX_1RO1dlDsi9lmZPXI14qaGbRiv Jd_IfSzUoDiPEtqHuDL_Q

fnogger
July 07, 2014, 07:39
Should've told him about the "Reloading components game"

LYCAN
July 07, 2014, 07:49
Should've told him about the "Reloading components game"

He was already playing, he just didn't realize it.

Hence the Barter - its all relative.

Illurian00
July 07, 2014, 07:52
"PS.. the also said 100% of the WalMarts were other's "territory" and threatened him with physical harm if they ever saw him trying to encroach on their territory again. Even sweeter, uh?''

What nonsense.

And if I do find any at my local Chinemart,,,I'll buy what I can and not worry about getting my ass kicked. What nonsense,,,,,,......!

RetiredNSmilin308
July 07, 2014, 11:31
"PS.. the also said 100% of the WalMarts were other's "territory" and threatened him with physical harm if they ever saw him trying to encroach on their territory again. Even sweeter, uh?''

What nonsense.

And if I do find any at my local Chinemart,,,I'll buy what I can and not worry about getting my ass kicked. What nonsense,,,,,,......!

I am only talking about the local Phoenix area, not nationwide. In the Phoenix area, 22LRs at WalMart ain't happenin'. I can belive his story about a local gun mafia buying them all up.

That same day the gun gods also smiled upon me and I was able to get a Bannerman cutdown 1894 30-40 Krag with saddle scabbard and a box of 50's era Win SuperX ammo ALL for $350. The scabbard is probably worth more than the gun, but it also had a buttstock cleaning kit.

I was able to post pics on Surplus Rifle.

That little deal certainly offset the "22 LR Game" guy.

PS...Illurian, I like your term ChineMart. Very accurate indeed.

12v71
July 07, 2014, 21:00
Rest of us?

I just took another brick out of an Ammo can.... think this is era 2007 or so.

YOUR lack of prior planning and all...

Remember this when it's available again.

HECK, Remember this NOW about P mags and AK mags!

My bad, an attempt at humor that went wrong. I have been stocking for quite some time. Maybe even got some 2007 buried away. Never know.

308/223shooter
July 07, 2014, 23:50
The threats are real. I stopped on my way to work for some Claritin due to allergies, and thought I'd check for some .22.
Some old wog was harrassing the girl at the sporting goods counter, telling her he'd pull her across the counter and thump her if she didn't get him "his" .22 ammo.
I promptly told him to push off before I reported an attempted assault, to which he told me to "**** off asshole". Wow, is .22 addictive like crack? Manager came up and told the guy to leave, which he did. The gal said that guy comes in nearly every day buying his three box limit, and someone had beat him to the stuff three days in a row. He accused her if holding out on him. WTF? If I'd not seen it, I'd likely not believed it. Why is everyone so bloody hot for .22 ammo?

RetiredNSmilin308
July 08, 2014, 01:21
308/223shooter...

In answer to your question. It IS the new crack.

I termed all of the panic and foolishness after Sandy Hook..."The Insanity".

Now you saw with your own eyes why I called it that. People have gone completely INSANE over 22LR now, and ARs / mags before

As a possible explaination, he probably was paid in advance by a gun mafia type and is now behind in his quota to the guy. It is usually older retired people that the gun mobsters hire to get the 22LR for them.

22LR does seem to be the new crack in certain areas, and gun mobsters are paying people all over to get it for them and then sell it for 3x the sticker price. It is normally retired people, but also the unemployed, or those that can be there early in the AM.

They can't be late even for 5 minutes or it is all gone at the WalMarts.

THEN, they have to answer to Mugsy as to why they did not meet their quota AFTER he already paid them. I am sure he was warned "the boys" might pay him a visit if he does not meet his quota.

The next time you see the guy he may have his arm in a cast, or maybe wearing one of those finger splints.

Such is life in " The 22LR Game ".

Whodda thunk there was a dark side to plinking?

Whydah
July 09, 2014, 07:39
I stopped in one of the local WalMarts one Friday (the day rumored to be when they stock ammo) late one morning and asked about .22. The counter guy said he has sold out that morning in 22 minutes. I asked didn't they enforce a limit. He replied they did, but that he couldn't limit cell phone use.

He told me that the same guy shows up weekly and buys his limit and once he knows they have .22 ammo goes and calls his friends to come over. They show up and buy all they can, usually all of the remaining stock. They sell it at local flea markets and pawn shops for double the price.

Guy at Dick's told me much the same thing, except its pawn shop employees who show up and buy it all.

I saw this crap coming and have a good supply. But I will still buy more if and when I can. No doubt it will be used as currency one day after Obama and his thugs finish with us.

RetiredNSmilin308
July 09, 2014, 08:01
Whydah.. I really wish I could put forth some logical reason why it would not be so, but I can't.

Unfortunately, I KNOW you are 100% correct.

Like I said before, the dark side of plinking. The rise of the gun mobsters.

100% of the time an item gets banned or scarce, an underworld rises to make money off of it.

such is "The 22LR Game".

notfrommt
July 09, 2014, 09:57
Stop buying 22 from these assholes and the market will dry up for them. They will go back to collecting aluminum cans or whatever else the unemployable do in their free time.

It is my sincere hope that they get stuck with every cartridge they buy on speculation.

Bubacus
July 09, 2014, 19:22
My guess is most of these guys aren't really worried about keeping it dry in their mom's basement. Ammo does go bad when you are more interested in bragging on facebook about how much you screw people over and the Wal-Mart safari's than properly storing your booty!

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4517/img0351yh.jpg

RetiredNSmilin308
July 11, 2014, 00:35
Stop buying 22 from these assholes and the market will dry up for them. They will go back to collecting aluminum cans or whatever else the unemployable do in their free time.

It is my sincere hope that they get stuck with every cartridge they buy on speculation.

YUP...I never pay more that 5 or 6 cents a round.

jwv3
July 19, 2014, 20:52

That is the answer. Nothing else. Don't buy from resellers. Wait them out.

Nomad, 2nd
July 20, 2014, 02:14
Went to a small gunshow today (Picked up 14 Colt 20 rounders NIW for $90)

And there was a guy there walking around with nothing.
Except a sign around his neck saying ".22LR for Sale"

What bothered me is it was obvious this guy had NO INTEREST in the guns there... was just walking in circles barely even glancing at the tables...)

I had to restrain myself each time he walked past from telling him what I thought if him.

His right...

(To be a douche)

RetiredNSmilin308
July 20, 2014, 02:48
At the gun show today, I saw a guy selling some Remington 22s, but they were bricks of flatter boxes than I had seen before. They also seemed to be wider and not as tall. I do not know the round count.

It was hillarious! NOT ONE SOUL was over there at his table. That was also the only thing he was selling. It was obvious to everyone he was a 22LR GAMER!

He was asking $60 for those flat, wide boxes. He was all by himself. You could see anger in his eyes. Everyone was flipping him off without even raising their hand. They would just walk by and quickly turn away in disgust when they saw his prices.:redface:

Yup, I think it is working.:)

.30-06
July 24, 2014, 11:51

I'll hold him down for you.

Wildcat
July 24, 2014, 15:29
At the gun show today, I saw a guy selling some Remington 22s,.....
It was hillarious! NOT ONE SOUL was over there at his table. That was also the only thing he was selling. It was obvious to everyone he was a 22LR GAMER!

He was asking $60 for those flat, wide boxes. He was all by himself. You could see anger in his eyes. Everyone was flipping him off without even raising their hand. They would just walk by and quickly turn away in disgust when they saw his prices.:redface:

Yup, I think it is working.:)

Keep that up and the cycle will break.

JAB75
August 01, 2014, 18:51
I still have some boxes of Federal 550 loose pack from the mid 1990s...$4 each back then. These people and their 22 L R Game can go sit on running chainsaws.

I donated two bricks to the local youth shooting club...they acted like I was dropping off some gold. :sad:

-JAB75

12v71
August 01, 2014, 20:15
I'll hold him down for you.
:biggrin: I just saw this. Thanks for your support.:whistling:

Cava3r4
August 10, 2014, 17:47
I sold a brick of federal number 711 gold medal to my dentist for what I paid for it for his 11 year old kid. I paid 18.95 + tax back about 2000 for it.
I was shooting 50 meter international match (along with 300 meter international match and NRA OTC back then).
Everyone wanted 500 so I ordered a sleeve of them (5000) for about 200 bucks after taxes. then when I showed up at the club, nobody wanted it!!!!
SO I still have about 6 of em.
I gave away a coouple of federal 525 bulk packs to a friend of mine.
they were 6.95 at galvans back in 1997.