PDA

View Full Version : Anyone CC a Commander?

SmokeEater2
June 25, 2014, 16:00
I've been jonesin' for a Commander or Combat Commander (Haven't made a firm choice between the two yet) and I'm going to make the decision in the next day or two and snag one.

For you guys that carry them, What holster are you using? I usually carry in an OWB for my Smith M&P full size and I don't think a Commander would be any harder to conceal. Am I right or wrong with that thought?

Retired Bum
June 25, 2014, 16:33
What caliber? Over the years both the LW and Combat Commanders were offered in 9mm, .38 Super, and .45 ACP.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

tdb59
June 25, 2014, 17:05
Colt Combat Commander in a custom Tracker Leather IWB holster dominant side.
Model 15 2 inch on the non-dominant side.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/543/iwb001.jpg

SmokeEater2
June 25, 2014, 17:13
What caliber? Over the years both the LW and Combat Commanders were offered in 9mm, .38 Super, and .45 ACP.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

.45 .38 Super is nice but I've got a stock pile of .45 already.

SmokeEater2
June 25, 2014, 17:14
Colt Combat Commander in a custom Tracker Leather IWB holster dominant side.
Model 15 2 inch on the non-dominant side.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/543/iwb001.jpg

Nice setup! :whiskey:

sweetwine
June 25, 2014, 17:29
Get the light weight Commander. I have both I carry the light model in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. It does a great job.

pjpjr
June 25, 2014, 18:00
Colt Combat Commander here.......OWB custom leather open top holster. Disappears under shirt!
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i100/pjpjr/colt_zps8594ab21.jpeg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/pjpjr/media/colt_zps8594ab21.jpeg.html)

augie1
June 25, 2014, 20:03
Yes I have and do, and am looking for another one to replace the Series 80 Stainless Steel Enhanced version I swapped for a USGI back a few years ago!

MAINER
June 26, 2014, 08:02
Get the light weight Commander. I have both I carry the light model in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.

Big DITTO on the LIGHTweight!

Have a Springfield Champ in 45 acp, but it is a heavy piece so it often gets replaced with a CZ Compact in 9mm.
Being in and out of my truck, I don't want a pistol poking me in the kidneys so it's a front carry IWB or sometimes in a cross draw.

I wouldn't mind having a Commander Lightweight in .38 Super. :D

SmokeEater2
June 26, 2014, 09:03
Thanks for all the replies,suggestions and pics fellas! :beer:

A few months ago I stopped in the local gun shop and they had a cherry 70 series Gov. model .38 Super in the box on consignment. The asking price wasn't too bad but I don't have dies or anything for that caliber so I browsed on down the counter kinda' thinking it over.

A guy snapped it up before I made up my feeble lil' mind. I still kinda' wish I'd bought it, even though I'm not familiar with the .38 Super at all.

Is the .38 Super a current offering or has it gone the way of my beloved .218 Bee rifle cartridge?

nwobhm
June 26, 2014, 09:46
38 Super has been around for decades.

SmokeEater2
June 26, 2014, 10:14
38 Super has been around for decades.

My apologies for not phrasing that better. I've known about the .38 Super since I was a kid just getting interested in guns.

What I mean by unfamiliar is I've never fired one and don't know anyone personally who owns one.

randyj
June 26, 2014, 11:22
I've carried a LW Commander in a summer special rig for years.
great set up ! if you do plan on shooting it a lot then opt for the CC,(steel frame), but I doubt if you buy a LW you'de wear it out.
aft about 15 years my colt lw did show some cracking in the frame to slide rails. I wasn't concerned and the cracks never grew any further.

just my .02

ps. also carried it in a Jack-Ass shoulder rig, great for sitting in the car all day.

have to wear a light jacket or a shirt I wore open, randy

stitcher
June 26, 2014, 12:13
I usually IWB carry a 5" in leather. A strong cant and a little high ride.

Retired Bum
June 26, 2014, 15:06
SmokeEater2,

I have owned my Colt Mark IV 70 Series Gov't Model .38 Super for about 34 years now. It sports a Barsto barrel/bushing unit, Bomar sights, a Wilson trigger, Pachmayr MSH and grips. It originally had the old style factory barrel that head spaced off the semi-rim. Horribly inaccurate with 12 inch groups at 25 yards in my Ransom Rest being the norm with any factory load. But now it will do 1.5 inch groups with most any ammo I feed it thanks to the Barsto barrel which headspaces on the case mouth.

What really makes or breaks the .38 Super is the ammo. The original load was a 130 grain FMJ at 1275 fps in the five inch barrel with 475 fpe. A powerful load with very good penetration. But you would be hard pressed to find any factory 130 grain FMJ that is full power today. Most of the FMJ I have chrono'd is doing good to make it 1150 fps. The majority of the factory JHP loads are little better. Winchester 125 grain SilverTip does only 1180 in my gun. Remington 115 gr JHP did 1300 fps but it is no longer produced.

Corbon 115 grain JHP did 1465 fps and their 125 grain JHP did 1390 fps. These are very good numbers and puts the .38 Super up there with the .357 Sig and the now basically neglected 9x23 Winchester.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

tdb59
June 26, 2014, 15:25
I had a .38 Super Combat Commander with a Bar-Sto barrel, bushing, link and pin.

My favorite load was 150 grain RN or SWC over 5.2 grains of Unique.

That load chronographed at 1100 fps, and brass life was excellent.

YMMV

DJ
June 26, 2014, 16:18
I've carried a pre-Series 70 Commander for years. Right now I'm carrying it in a Yaqui slide holster that Stitcher made me. Nice little rig.

If I'm not carrying the Commander, I'm carrying a Smith M&P .40 in a N8 squared Tactical holster. n82tactical.com
I gotta tell ya, for an inside the waistband holster, this is the most comfrotable holster I've ever owned and it ain't all that expensive, either.

SmokeEater2
June 26, 2014, 18:20
I was in town today and cruised through a couple of gun shops. I looked at 3 Commanders, A stainless with rose wood grips, A Wiley Clapp model and a Stainless model with plastic grips, all were NIB and .45 caliber.

The Wiley Clapp model was nice and light but the sights and safety didn't suit me.

Out of the other 2, The plastic grip model has a really smooth trigger and I liked the sights better than the others....And I bought it.

It's not the LW model but it feels lighter in a DeSantis thumb break 1911 holster I had than my G23 or Smith M&P .45. So far I'm happy and hopefully I'll still be after I take it to the range Tuesday.

SmokeEater2
June 26, 2014, 18:27
SmokeEater2,

I have owned my Colt Mark IV 70 Series Gov't Model .38 Super for about 34 years now. It sports a Barsto barrel/bushing unit, Bomar sights, a Wilson trigger, Pachmayr MSH and grips. It originally had the old style factory barrel that head spaced off the semi-rim. Horribly inaccurate with 12 inch groups at 25 yards in my Ransom Rest being the norm with any factory load. But now it will do 1.5 inch groups with most any ammo I feed it thanks to the Barsto barrel which headspaces on the case mouth.

What really makes or breaks the .38 Super is the ammo. The original load was a 130 grain FMJ at 1275 fps in the five inch barrel with 475 fpe. A powerful load with very good penetration. But you would be hard pressed to find any factory 130 grain FMJ that is full power today. Most of the FMJ I have chrono'd is doing good to make it 1150 fps. The majority of the factory JHP loads are little better. Winchester 125 grain SilverTip does only 1180 in my gun. Remington 115 gr JHP did 1300 fps but it is no longer produced.

Corbon 115 grain JHP did 1465 fps and their 125 grain JHP did 1390 fps. These are very good numbers and puts the .38 Super up there with the .357 Sig and the now basically neglected 9x23 Winchester.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

I wonder if the new Colt barrels head space on the case rim now? I'm kinda' wanting a .38 Super now to keep the .45 company.

Oy..:facepalm:

sweetwine
June 26, 2014, 20:31
New Colts hesdspace on the case mouth now.

SmokeEater2
June 26, 2014, 20:50
That's good to hear since I just threw a bid on a Lightweight .38 Super on Getbroker and won it.

Damn, I need a cheaper hobby than FALs and Colts. :uhoh: On the plus side though, Now I get to shop for dies,brass and bullets for it. :whistling:

gobbler
June 26, 2014, 20:59
Get with Sticher here on the Files.....he'll hook you up on what ever holster your heart desires for your 45. Well worth the money & hellava better quality & price of the major holster makers. You won't be sorry, great guy to deal with....
LW Comander is great carry, but Officers or Defender even better as far as carry.

gobbler

nearmisses
June 27, 2014, 14:29
That's good to hear since I just threw a bid on a Lightweight .38 Super on Getbroker and won it.

Damn, I need a cheaper hobby than FALs and Colts. :uhoh: On the plus side though, Now I get to shop for dies,brass and bullets for it. :whistling:

You're probably gonna love it. They can be a hot way to go. You know, South of de Border, people in Mexico can't own a 45acp (military only) and the 38Super is the favorite down there. Dies should be a piece of cake on getbroker. If the square back edge of the frames butt sticks out, those new rounded ones are nice.
I got one of American Classics Metro Arms Amigos, 3.5" last year and see they now have a commander style with rounded butt. No lightweight yet but I want one too!

fastback65
June 28, 2014, 13:27
I carry a Para P-13, in a Stitcher supplied holster. Same size as the CC but a little thicker in the grip. I also carry a LDA-45-12 as a backup.

stitcher
June 28, 2014, 22:12
Thanks for plug fellas, it's quite a compliment!

xcpd69
June 29, 2014, 10:37
Late to the party, but with a slightly different situation.

I have a Colt Defender Plus. 3 inch barrel on a fullsized lightweight frame. The short slide/barrel won't print in a horizontal shoulder holster, my preferred carry method.

9 rounds of 45 acp (plus 2 spare 8 round mags) in a light concealable package. What's not to love?

Roland
June 29, 2014, 14:46
Late to the party, but with a slightly different situation.

I have a Colt Defender Plus. 3 inch barrel on a fullsized lightweight frame. The short slide/barrel won't print in a horizontal shoulder holster, my preferred carry method.

9 rounds of 45 acp (plus 2 spare 8 round mags) in a light concealable package. What's not to love?******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1"><param value="*********************************************"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="*********************************************" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Nice! Post some pictures :)

SAFN49
June 30, 2014, 18:11

I carried a Colt Combat Commander in .38 Super 25+ years ago. You won't be disappointed. Sold the gun still have the Colt Combat Commander knife though.

stitcher
June 30, 2014, 22:15
What I really want is a Colt new agent
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/NewAgent%C2%AESeries.aspx

metalreptile
July 01, 2014, 10:14
It's a Commander sized 1911, but just enough size difference to make a difference in a holster. This is a custom order from stitcher of an upgraded version of his "Punnisher" model. Perfect for my SIG Carry Nightmare!
Definitely see stitcher for your holster needs! :beer:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/metalreptile/002_zps3a5919d9.jpg

Enquiring Minds
July 06, 2014, 18:47
What I really want is a Colt new agent
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/NewAgent%C2%AESeries.aspx

Haven't kept up with 1911s enough, and have not kept up with COLT at all... please tell me that 'New Agent' isn't burdened with that Rube Goldberg Series 80 firing-pin-safety nonsense... or is that just a silly wish in our litigious asylum?

catmguy445
July 19, 2014, 13:33
I'm a bit late to the party too, but I carried a homebrew (built on a FedOrd frame, Colt slide, a variety of Pachmayr parts, and a stainless match barrel & bushing I picked up at a gun show) lightweight Commander for years, and used either a Gordon Davis (now retired) copy of Milt Sparks' Summer Special IWB holster or a nylon OWB Bianchi pancake holster, and both were very comfortable. I wore the Davis with either a shirt with the tail untucked or a light jacket, and wore the Bianchi at work with a sport coat.

After about 15 years, the Bianchi finally wore out, and unfortunately, they don't make that model now. I still have the Davis, and it's still in great shape. I've semi-retired my Commander, and I'm now using a Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless .45, which is a bit smaller than the Commander. Since the Federal Ordnance frame was basically a piece of junk (but was the only LW frame available when I put the gun together), I've been thinking very seriously about replacing it with a Caspian titanium Commander frame and putting the Commander back in service again.

I'm also thinking about getting a shoulder rig to use while driving, to save wear and tear on the car upholstery, but haven't come to any solid conclusions about that yet.

Congrats on you new (to you) .38 Super. It's really a great cartridge that's been widely overlooked for years. One of my longtime shooting buddies just got a .38 Super 1911 a few months ago, and he seems to love it.

MAINER
July 20, 2014, 08:53
I carried a homebrew (built on a FedOrd frame, Colt slide, a variety of Pachmayr parts, and a stainless match barrel & bushing I picked up at a gun show)

Since the Federal Ordnance frame was basically a piece of junk (but was the only LW frame available when I put the gun together), I've been thinking very seriously about replacing it with a Caspian titanium Commander frame and putting the Commander back in service again.

Sounds like a good plan to me, you got some nice pieces to work with. A lot of the non-Colt frames were a nightmare. Essex is the one I remember, got it working, but couldn't get the thing to shoot to the sights without getting weird.

Caspian is a good one, should make a fine shooter.